Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derrick Johnson: How far could he fall?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoLions17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you on the vikings not taking dj. but as for the lions. lehmen is putting on weight and moving to mlb, holmes is UFA next year which leaves the weak side lb wide open. if djs there the lions will pounce on him in heartbeat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Derrick Johnson: How far could he fall? Reply with quote

SuperBowlEagles wrote:
3) CLE- Again a 3-4 and Shawne Merriman looks like a better pick here. Also franchise QB is needed desperately maybe more than anyone else in the draft because the roster is now filled with old vets.

Random observations:

Merriman would be a better pick, but even better would be Ronnie Brown, Antrel Rolle, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, or Cedric Benson.

There are no franchise QBs in this draft. This is the first year in a while that teams are looking to trade down more than up. Reason being, there are no "Franchise" QBs in this draft. Smith has the size, but not the arm or experience. Rodgers has the arm, but not the size or experience.

On the other hand Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye, both most likely available in round two, have the size, arm and experience to be OUR franchise QB. The offense we will run will not require a Peyton Manning type of passer. We just need a smart, strong-armed QB to groom under Dilfer for a couple of years.

Speaking of, who are all these geezers we have as QBs on our roster? I know Dilfer is long in the tooth, but who are all the other "old vets filling the roster"? Luke McCown and Josh Harris were both rookies last year. If there is anyone else, it's news to me.

To stick to the thread, Derrick Johnson won't fall farther than 10.
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definately see the Bears taking him at #4 and if not then I see a trade up to get him because he is considered to be the best defensive player in the draft.
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_54_urlacher wrote:
Here we go....my initial post was referring to Suppa Man's post.........

Then that was pretty dumb. I said nothing about the Bears and DJ in my post. And your initial post after mine and every post after mine has been about the Bears and not taking DJ.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that every person on here is giving reasons of why and why not a team will draft DJ. i see DJ falling to the Lions at #10 and i agree that they will move Lehman to MLB and have a good young core of players at LB.

i see the Bears and Bucs both having Mike Williams at the top of their boards and the only other way i see chicago going is to draft Benson (seems like a bears type of runner IMO) and if Mike is off the board by Tampa's pick they will take their no.2 target in Caddillac Williams.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is good reason for these boards to be sponsored by the comedy channel . . . just as an example, and not meant to pick on anyone . . .

Bears have so many LBs already and dont need any more . . . but are about to sign Anthony Simmons. LOL if they have so many, and dont need DJ, why are they after Simmons?

Bears cant afford DJ. But as a draft pick his salary will be slotted so he will make same basic range as any other player picked here, except maybe a QB.

As to responding to the title of the thread . . . DJ will fall all the way to my Colts, because he is a perfect LB for their system. Hey, I dont have to make any more sense than the rest of you do I? Laughing
amaru0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think Romeo Crennel will have a hard time passing on him. The guy is a Defensive coordinator at heart, and DJ is the type that can be a cornerstone of a great defense. Really, I don't think there is a team in the top 10 that he would not be an upgrade for, so it just depends on who decides they want him more than anyone else.
b_54_urlacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuppaMan wrote:

However I think he'll either go to MIA, CHI, or someone else in a trade up. Why? Miami won't run the 3-4 with Taylor there, and there other LB's are old (Thomas and Grandpa Seau). So they could use a good one with youth back there. Chicago has no OLB's that are noteworthy, and Urlacher has trouble staying healthy it seems. Lovie is a defensive coach anyway, and it's been said they are looking to trade for a veteran back, which would then allow them to go in a different direction. Plus that means when Urlacher is healthy, they have him and DJ at the LB positions.

Im pretty sure your whole post right here is about how the bears should take DJ.
GoLions17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
I personally think Romeo Crennel will have a hard time passing on him. The guy is a Defensive coordinator at heart, and DJ is the type that can be a cornerstone of a great defense. Really, I don't think there is a team in the top 10 that he would not be an upgrade for, so it just depends on who decides they want him more than anyone else.
romeo wont take dj simply cause hes not a 3-4 olb. he cant shed blockers which is essential to being a 3-4 olb. if he is going LB at 3, it will be merriman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the original post question....I don't think he'll fall that far. Tampa is the odds on I would think. They've won before with marginal offense.
Pennstate#1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickelpete

is my hero, i agree totally with superbowleagles, cause ive argued about football with him for over a year now, and he seems to win most things like this in the end, and he does tons of research, i kno ive seen it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: