Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boltfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but Gates would school T.G. in 1 on 1. Laughing
BigVezzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dissrepct to the guys that play the position, but WR is not the hardest position to play in the world. Its not that hard to run a skinny post or a flag. I don't think it will be to hard to learn the position, plus with him being a prior QB he already knows how those routes should be ran.

Lets talk about these 4 guys.

T.O.
Moss
Gonzales
Gates

What are some things they have in common?

All are considered for the most part the best in there positon (receiveing wise)
All are around the 6'4" range
All are past Basketball players
All use there body to get the ball, be it T.O., Gates, Gonzo using there size or Moss out jumping the DB and using his body to shield the guy off

Not saying he is or will ever be the same type of player but he has allot of things in common with those guys style wise, be it Size (Gonzo,TO,Gates) or speed and jumping ability (Moss)

Then just think about MJ #s.
6'6"/245 4.37 in the 40/Vertical jump 39.5"

I am 6'5" and my reach is 8'6" so if I had Jones veritical jump I would be able to get up to 11'9". Give or take a inch or two for his height and reach and he might be able to get real close to 12'. You know what else is that high........ the top of the backboard on a basketball goal!!!! Think about that the next time you see one driving sown the road. Do you think that a 5'10" DB or Safety is going to be able to get up that high? If I was an offensive Coordinator I would toss it up for him to grab everytime my team was in the Red Zone.

Check out this link watch at the end where the are showing him in the Senior Bowl workouts. The last catch in the clip they call it the "million dollar catch" look at how high he is catchin that ball with one hand on a pass that is behind him. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! When you watch the Video it is a little grainy but look at how much bigger he is compaired to the guys that are tryin to defend against him

http://woopigsooie.net/mattcombine.wmv

I don't know if he will ever make a huge impact in the NFL. I do think that givin the chance with good coaching and mentorship from established players he could make some GM look like a genious
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the video, but it's a tad too small.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man!!! I had no idea he looked that good in the senior bowl. A 1 hander in the end zone, selling his route wih as little experience at the position. I give him 1 to 3 years before he is a consistant probowler at WR or TE. Bigvessy, great footage and great comparisons. CBs migh t cath up with him but when they do, can they even tackle him? And to even try to play bump and run with the 5 yard rule or not with this guy would be idiotic because CBs can't budge him and they need all the groun on him they can get and evn if they play perfect coverage he can still out jump him. This guy is awesome you can say I'm stupid youcan say he is ovrrated but this guy is going to perform in the pros now matter whtat anybody says.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.knowitall, I am in total 1000% agreement. Not 100%, but 1000% percent. This kid is amazing. I'm actually hoping the Steelers take him in the 1st round now. I really do. I don't care about Blackstock anymore, let him go, because Matt Jones is the "real deal". He gets up so high, and does it so well, I'm going to have to start calling him Matt "The Aviator" Jones. He just seems to fly through the air.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Matt Jones reminds me of a reverse version of Ben Roethlisberger. Instead of going from QB to WR, Ben went from WR to QB. Plus, they both were great High School basketball players. Ben averaged 26.5 points as a high-school senior, with nine rebounds and five assists a game. Talk about amazing.

as11osu wrote:
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
mr.knowitall, I am in total 1000% agreement. Not 100%, but 1000% percent. This kid is amazing. I'm actually hoping the Steelers take him in the 1st round now. I really do. I don't care about Blackstock anymore, let him go, because Matt Jones is the "real deal". He gets up so high, and does it so well, I'm going to have to start calling him Matt "The Aviator" Jones. He just seems to fly through the air.
I seen him 1st LOL. He would make Steelers fans forget about Plaxico's exsistence what do you think? I know that footage of him in the senior bowl was really small but you can see what you need to. And the fact that he is already learning how to sell his route is great because that is the hardest part of being a receiver. The Steelers are said to need a TE. I think they could pu him at slot in 3 WR sets and TE on passing plays and put Tuman in as the blocker. Ward, Randel El, Jones, Wilson and Bettis back and Staley healthy Roesthlisberger might take them to 16 if the OLine is ok with the loss of Vincent and Ross. I think Foote will do good alongside Farrior. I like him at Michigan, and Haggans ain't that bad and if Jackson learned some last season I'd like to see him get more action. Then some depth at CB and OL in the draft and maybe Brandon Jacobs another big phenomenom they will POUND their way to superbowl with Cowhers AGRESSIVE style of play on both sides of the field. I already like and respect the Steelers but if they draft Jones and hopefully Jacobs 2 I'll jump on their bandwagon so fast.LOL
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I'm with you on a lot of what you said. Mainly, the idea of drafting Matt Jones and Brandon Jacobs. Funny thing is, if they did that in the first two rounds, I wouldn't even care. If they went Matt Jones, Brandon Jacobs, and Ronald Bartell... I'd be the happiest Steelers fan in the world. I love all three of those guys. I like that nickname I gave Matt Jones, "The Aviator". He looks like a damn plane in the air, he's so huge with that big wingspan. I've seen the footage of the Senior Bowl practice before, and it was amazing. Made Corey Webster look like a rag doll. If the Steelers get those three guys, I think we're back in the playoffs. But it's going to be a tough road. I think the Steelers would still go 9-7, and maybe next year they could draft Marcus McNeil (OT - Auburn) or Max Jean-Giles (OG - Georgia) to bolster their O-Line. Their O-Line is okay as it is now, but it could get better. Those three guys though, if the Steelers got 'em, look out.

By the way, this is my 1600th post. Not like it's anything special, just had to say it.

as11osu wrote:
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I'm very high on Bartell too. He runs a 4.37 and plays CB and safety. I'm pretty sure he is a good tackler too. If the Steelers were able to draft the 3 players you're talkin about and get the lineman your talkin about they would be awesome. Here's some names you probably already know that will be in nest years draft at OT and OG- D.Ferguson Vir, E.Winston Mia, J.Scott Tex, A.Whitworth LSU at OT and at OG D.Joseph Okl, M.Settersrom Min, J.Simonitis pit, R.O'Callaghan Cal. By the way happy 1600th!!
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't forget Winston Justice of USC. He's coming off of a season where he didn't play at all, and he's a beast at the Tackle spot for USC. It's going to quite amazing to watch that Trojans offensive line this season.

as11osu wrote:
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Also don't forget Winston Justice of USC. He's coming off of a season where he didn't play at all, and he's a beast at the Tackle spot for USC. It's going to quite amazing to watch that Trojans offensive line this season.
Ya them USC players are like Miami players. Those schools are producing players like manufactoring line.
boltfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.knowitall wrote:
Big7BenROY wrote:
Ya them USC players are like Miami players. Those schools are producing players like manufactoring line.

Next year at least 4 picks in the 1st round if Bush and White enter early.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be five actually. Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Winston Justice, and Steve Smith.

as11osu wrote:
seminoles1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Marcus McNeil either
kw2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget McNiel OT who almost came out this year i think he will be a big time tackle with another year on the left side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: