Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's Official: 49ers begin contract talk with top picks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportsfevah08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: It's Official: 49ers begin contract talk with top picks Reply with quote

ESPN writes:
The 49ers, who have the first choice in the NFL draft, have notified the agents of quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers of California and Alex Smith of Utah and wide receiver Braylon Edwards of Michigan that they want to begin contract negotiations with hopes of getting a deal done before the draft, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports.

Smith held a private workout for the 49ers Tuesday and Rodgers is scheduled to visit the 49ers facility next Wednesday. Edwards will be at the 49ers' facility next Monday but, like Rodgers, isn't expected to work out.

The 49ers will continue to look at other prospects in case they receive an offer to trade down for a lower spot in the first round.

No negotiations have begin but the process is expected to get start soon. The NFL gives the team with the first choice permission to try to work out a deal before the draft begins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2031415

No Mike Williams.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a while ago that the 49ers will draft the player they can get for the cheapest contract, now thats how you rebuild. Not BPA, BCA ( best contract available)
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoKnowsFootball wrote:
I heard a while ago that the 49ers will draft the player they can get for the cheapest contract, now thats how you rebuild. Not BPA, BCA ( best contract available)

It's really hard to tell if you're being sarcastic.

I hope so.

Mastercheddaar wrote:
this whole forum needs AA
sportsfevah08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By talking contracts with 3 different players, other teams might get nervous because the player they want might get picked up by the Niners and other teams might trade with the Niners just to get one of the 3 that they want. Another possibility is the Niners might really be interested in one of the players only and by saying they are talking with 2 others the one they really want will accept a bit lesser money to be the #1 pick. The other two might just be decoys. That would be a smart business move and agents do that for their FAs all the time by saying "another team is willing to offer more than what your offering for my client" except this is where the team pretends to be interested in other players to get the player they are talking with now to lower their asking price. I think it is pretty smart...if indeed that is what the Niners are doing.

Last edited by sportsfevah08 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being sarcastic.

That is just something I read ( I think in the sporting news), and with the York's as owners i wouldnt doubt it.
sportsfantex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: 49ers draft Reply with quote

Man the 49ers will probably take b edwards cause BE will be the cheapest. He will accept less than the others just to be the top pick. But if i was any of those players and the 49ers had the 1 pick i would ask for 300000000000000dollars so they wouldnt draft me.
primetime21335

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers draft Reply with quote

sportsfantex wrote:
Man the 49ers will probably take b edwards cause BE will be the cheapest. He will accept less than the others just to be the top pick. But if i was any of those players and the 49ers had the 1 pick i would ask for 300000000000000dollars so they wouldnt draft me.

wat? u would be a lil bich like eli maning? FU.

lol, j/k, i hate manning for that tho, and i'm so glad he sux and SD rules. lil [inappropriate/removed], where is he now and where are the chargers?
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were somehow lucky enough to be the #1 pick in the draft, I would ask for a 2-3% increase in all the numbers from last year and be satisfied with that, as I would still be netting a $15-20 million signing bonus. Agnets are a black mark on the game, but they are definitely necessary. I just hate it when they tell a player to hold out of training camp for more money when its a proven fact that it almost always hurts the developement of the player and his chances in the league. I just hate when the multi-millionaire feels like he is being abused because he doens't like the CONTRACT that he signed.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know why the media is having this big h*rd on for Alex Smith the guy had an ok workout now everyone with a camera in front of them or that is on ESPN is in love with this guy.

I think this shows you how much of an impact someone like Mel Kiper could have. and also if Rodgers workout had come first would his have been the greatest workout ever because they were both relatively the same just Smith threw indoors and had recievers going at full speed.

Alex Smith will be the bust of the draft.
Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that thinks those workout matter is looking at them very narrowly. First off, all they were doing was lobbing to another person. No pass rush, no coverage to look off, and he didn't have to throw the ball where only his reciever can catch it. That is not foot ball, would Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers be so cool in the back field if Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers came charging at them, maybe maybe not. All I know is great workouts like that don't show how they handle staying in the pocket or any of the immeasurables that a great QB must pocess.

Thanks EAtotheGLE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: