Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith is going to...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jdrocco01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Alex Smith is going to... Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Smith going to Tennessee? McNair won't be around much longer and they will need someone to fill hhis shoes because Volek just doesn't cut it. What do yons think?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a HUGE smokescreen. The only reason Floyd Reese said this is because he wants to trade down. If Smith falls to them, he said this to make it look like we would take them. So if someone wnated to trade up, they could do it with the Titans.
SilverStar

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't understand why Volek couldn't take over the starting job. Its not as if he played badly this year, in fact he played pretty damn good. He could definately prevent Tennessee from taking a qb for the next 5-6 years.
RD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:
I think it is a HUGE smokescreen. The only reason Floyd Reese said this is because he wants to trade down. If Smith falls to them, he said this to make it look like we would take them. So if someone wnated to trade up, they could do it with the Titans.

If he says he wants Smith, and Smith falls, why would they move down then? Teams wouldnt bother calling them for the pick if they think Smith is their guy.

It makes more sense that its one of two things: 1) They make it sound like Smith is their guy so that when he is taken, more teams will think it's an open spot to move up or 2) to cause someone to move ahead of them if they want Smith, so that way the player(s) they want fall to them.

I dont disagree that it may be a smokescreen, I just disagree with the reasoning.
GoVikings988

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volek just doesent cut it? did you even see him play last year? he played in 10 games last year and had almost 2500 yards and 18 tds and a 87.1 passer rating. i think hell be just fine. besides the titans could easily get the #1 overall pick next year and have a good shot at drafting leinart.
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Volek was great last year. When McNair hangs it up, they'll have a guy ready to replace him. Why rework Volek's contract if they were looking for a rookie QB? Volek has what it takes to be a starting QB. He played in front of David Carr for a few years at Fresno, and actually put up better numbers (30TDs, 3 ints) his senior year than Carr did in his senior year.
Hawkeye 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that they saw enough out of Volek to feel comfortable when McNair leaves that QB isnt a must with a 1st rounder. He looked great at the end of last season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: