Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vince Young vs. Matt Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardofhOgZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pboyk12 wrote:
Can (Young) break a 4th and 18 play when probably no one else in football (save Mike Vick) could make that run, he can and he did.

WizardofhOgZ wrote:
And Jones can and has made plays that perhaps even Vick and Young could not make.

pboyk12 wrote:
Well, obviously people don't believe that Jones can make the kind of plays that Vick can because, as I'm sure you noticed, Jones won't be playing quarterback next year.

Certainly you're smarter than that, pboy. You were talking about Young and Vick "breaking a play" on 4th and 18. You didn't mention whether it was a run or a pass. But put in that situation, I'd give Matt as good or better a chance of converting as those 2. It doesn't matter whether or not he ever plays ONE down at QB in the NFL - for that matter, we don't know if Young will ever play in the NFL either, let alone at QB. If YOU can include him in that scenario, I can include Matt.

But, back to the point. I have seen Jones convert a 3rd and 35 from his own 5 yard line - vs. Texas, no less. And it was a pass play, not a run. But, if you put a heavy rush on all three and let them scramble, Matt will do at least as well as either Vick or Young. You DO realize that Jones rushing average (net or sacks, as is the case for all QB's in college) was MORE THAN 1 YARD GREATER than Vick's over their respective college careers - don't you?

I didn't think so.

And you also know that Jones' teams at Arkansas played tougher schedules than Vick faced at VTU. I'll concede that Vick has the better arm, but you can take that "Vick is the best running QB in the history of the world" crap back with you, because - while their styles are different and I DO have a lot of respect for Vick's talent - he's NOT a better running QB than Jones.

Period.
maduka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Young (Photo: Will Gallagher/Inside Texas) Brown Touting A New, Improved Vince Young
By Bill Frisbie
Date: Apr 10, 2005

Texas QB Vince Young is bigger, stronger, a more polished passer and is immeasurably more confident than he was even during his Rose Bowl MVP performance, according to head coach Mack Brown. But that may not even be the biggest asset in Young's game next season.

"It's finally become his team," Brown said. "Vince is obviously a much better passer and has control of the team better than even when he left the Rose Bowl. He's very confident."

Part of it has to do with the fact that there is no longer a former starting QB on the bench now that Chance Mock has completed his eligibility. (We all know that Mock was gracious and selfless in his support of Vince. It's just that, last spring, there were those who believed Mock was a superior passer, a good enough runner and, consequently, a more viable choice to lead the offense. There were also those who, while not discounting Young's jaw-dropping talent, were so convinced that he would never develop his dropback game to an NFL-level that his best long-term move would be a switch to WR.)

These days, following an 11-1 campaign and a 17-2 mark as a starter, Young is a legitimate preseason Heisman candidate who can live with the fact that he will always have his critics.

"I know a lot of guys have said this or said that," Young commented. "I'm going to still go out there and play my game and still answer their questions about what they're saying about me."

There is no questioning his running skills, which look effortless as he glides down the field and nimbly darts away from would-be tacklers. That's why the passing game was a bigger emphasis during the April 2 Orange-White Game. On more than one occasion that night, VY opted for a pass attempt (when he just knew he could have moved the chains by running the ball) just to give the oft-criticized WRs a chance to become playmakers.

"There were times when he could have run but we're still working on the passing game," Brown said. "It was good to see (FL) Nate Jones make a couple of plays with his hands. (SE) Limas Sweed needed to get stronger in some areas and we think he's done that this spring."

Then there's Vince's not-so-secret weapon: his knack for tucking-and-running for the first, almost before a DB can stop back peddling.

"There was a 3rd-and-10 (in the Orange-White game) where everybody's backing up," Brown recalled, "and it's so easy for him to take off and hit that boundary line like he did against Kansas (the BCS-saving 22-yard run on 4th-and-1Cool. When they're going back and he's going forward, it's really hard for people to tackle him. He's got that knack for knowing exactly where that first down marker is. It's like he's not even trying to get there because he knows he's going to get there."

Young was listed at 6-5, 220, when he reported to the Forty Acres as a freshman in 2002. These days, Brown said his Freak of Nature signal caller is closer to 6-6, weighs 231 and runs a 4.4.

"Vince is so much stronger," Brown said. "He flips the ball now on an out (route) and on the comebacks he's throwing. It's amazing to me that he can step up into the pocket with everybody around him and throw a full speed ball with everybody 25 yards down field because he draws everybody to him."

While VY's strength is improved, Brown said one of the most appreciable upgrades to his game is his overall field vision.

"The thing that I'm seeing with Vince is that he knows where everybody is on every play now," Brown said. "He has a chance to take another step and be better than he was last year. That's what has excited us so much."

Young's self-assessment has more to do with improvements that may go unnoticed by the casual fan: namely, command of the huddle and making pre-snap decisions.

"Right now, I'm feeling real good in the pocket delivering the ball downfield and getting the plays in," Young said. "I know what a struggle that was. I'm doing a great job, overall, as a quarterback and doing what the coaches want me to do."

So much of the emphasis this spring, offensively, had been so focused on RB Ramonce Taylor and on developing reliable WRs that it was easy to overlook the obvious:

"Everything is spearheaded by that offensive line and by Vince Young," Brown noted.
primetime21335

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardofhOgZ wrote:
pboyk12 wrote:
Can (Young) break a 4th and 18 play when probably no one else in football (save Mike Vick) could make that run, he can and he did.

WizardofhOgZ wrote:
And Jones can and has made plays that perhaps even Vick and Young could not make.

pboyk12 wrote:
Well, obviously people don't believe that Jones can make the kind of plays that Vick can because, as I'm sure you noticed, Jones won't be playing quarterback next year.

Certainly you're smarter than that, pboy. You were talking about Young and Vick "breaking a play" on 4th and 18. You didn't mention whether it was a run or a pass. But put in that situation, I'd give Matt as good or better a chance of converting as those 2. It doesn't matter whether or not he ever plays ONE down at QB in the NFL - for that matter, we don't know if Young will ever play in the NFL either, let alone at QB. If YOU can include him in that scenario, I can include Matt.

But, back to the point. I have seen Jones convert a 3rd and 35 from his own 5 yard line - vs. Texas, no less. And it was a pass play, not a run. But, if you put a heavy rush on all three and let them scramble, Matt will do at least as well as either Vick or Young. You DO realize that Jones rushing average (net or sacks, as is the case for all QB's in college) was MORE THAN 1 YARD GREATER than Vick's over their respective college careers - don't you?

I didn't think so.

And you also know that Jones' teams at Arkansas played tougher schedules than Vick faced at VTU. I'll concede that Vick has the better arm, but you can take that "Vick is the best running QB in the history of the world" crap back with you, because - while their styles are different and I DO have a lot of respect for Vick's talent - he's NOT a better running QB than Jones.

Period.

just one question, how do u figure jones played tougher talent than vick? the big east wasnt always this pitiful...

also, i just have to say. AAHHAHAHAHA, thats a good one, about ur thing that jones is a better running qb. AAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA, come on dude, vick is better than 1/4 of the rb's in the nfl at running.

ahahhahaha, thats a good one man, lol keep m' coming. jones may have been good but to say he can run like vick is a joke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: