Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 (25th anniv Paul's Boutique)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrILL!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 (25th anniv Paul's Boutique) Reply with quote

Since we already have a thread detailing current Hip Hop and R&B, Willink and I are going to take you on a whirlwind tour through our crates of the dopest hip hop ever. Don't know anything about the Golden Era of Hip Hop? We got you covered. Gangstarr to Hiero. Boot Camp to Hobo Junction. Living Legends to Native Tongues. Pete Rock to Diamond D. Primo to the Beatnuts. Off the head freestyling. The art of beatmaking. Lyricism. Flow. Storytelling. Battle raps.

It's on!

To help those catch up, here's a list of what's covered and if the type is in red, links are provided. Check the pages themselves for more details, analysis, and history.

p1.
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "They Reminisce Over You"
Souls of Mischief - "93 'til Infinity"
Common Sense - "I Used To Love H.E.R."
3rd Bass - "Gas face"
L tha Head Toucha - "Too Complex"
Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop LP DL
Souls of Mischief + The Pharcyde = Almyghty Myghty Pythons

p2.
J-Dilla produced gems:
-Pharcyde- "Runnin'"
-Pharcyde- "Drop"
-Pharcyde- "She Said (remix)"
-De La Soul- "Stakes Is High"
-Keith Murray- "Dangerous Ground feat. 50 Grand"
-Keith Murray- "The Rhyme (remix)"
-Busta Rhymes- "Woo-Hah!! (Jay Dee Remix)"
-1st Down- "A Day Wit The Homiez"
-Proof- "The Fizzo"
-ATCQ- "That Schit"

The Pharcyde- Labcabincalifornia LP DL
Keith Murray- Enigma LP DL
Consequence- Hostyle Takeover LP DL

Main Source - "Just Hangin' Out"
Ras Kass - "The Evil That Men Do"
Blahzay Blahzay - "Danger"
King Tee - "You Can't See Me"

p3.
The Lost Art Of The Hip Hop Movie Soundtrack pt 1
-Boyz n the Hood soundtrack LP DL
-Menace II Society soundtrack
-Juice soundtrack

BMU's "U Will Know"
J-Dilla- Gone Too Soon BBC series
Murs- F'Real debut LP DL
Burnt Batch- I Don't Know & Artform
A+- Me Myself and My Microphone & Alpha 2 Omega

p4.
Da Grassroots- "Price of Livin"
Frankenstein ft. Choclair- "So I"
Edo G- "Let's Be Realistic"
Ghetto Concept- "E-Z On Tha Motion"
Grand Puba- "I Like It"
Ill Al Skratch- "Where My Homiez? (Come Around My Way)"
Casual- "Rock On ft. Pep Love"
Del The Funky Homosapien- "Undisputed Champs ft. Pep Love & Q-Tip"
Organized Konfusion- "Stress (Remix) ft. Large Professor"
King Tee- "Duck"
Tha Alkaholiks- "Relieve Yourself"
Artifacts- "Wrong Side Of The Tracks"
Anotha Level- "Phat T ft. Pharcyde"
Dred Scott- "Back In The Day"
LONS- "A Quarter to Cut Throat"
Troubleneck Brothers- "Trouble Wreck"
Lost Boyz - "Jeeps, Lex Coups, Bimaz & Benz"
Boogiemonsters- "Strange"
Ground Floor- "One, Two"
DBC- "Hit The Boomz"

p5.
Kool G Rap- "Blowin' Up In The World"

Boot Camp Clik:
-Smif N' Wessun - "Let's Get It On"
-Black Moon - "I Got Cha Opin (remix)"
-OGC - "No Fear"
-Heltah Skeltah - "Grate Unknown"
-Fab 5 - "Lefluar Leflah Eshkoska"
-Black Moon & Smif N' Wessun - "Headz Ain't Reddee"
-Boot Camp Clik - "Headz Are Reddee pt II"
-Heltah Skeltah- Undastand
-Smif-n-Wessun- Cession at da Doghillee
-Originoo Gun Clappaz- Hurricane Starang
-Black Moon- Black Smif n Wessun
-Heltah Skeltah- Letha Brainz Blo
-Smif-n-Wessun- Sound Bwoy Burreil
-Smif-n-Wessun- Bucktown

Body Bags LP DL

p6.
Damu The Fudgemunk:
-Start Here
-The Bright Side (Remix)
-Don't Do It (Y-Society)
-Dream Catcher (ffs 0:57 onward is what my dreams sound like)
-Hogs On The Hill
-Panacea - Walk In The Park (Damu The Fudgemunk Remix)
-The Union ft. Talib Kweli - Time Leak (Damu The Fudgemunk Remix)

Female MC's:
-Apani B Fly- "Let Me Know feat. Dela" & with Polyrhythm Addicts - "Big Phat Boom"
-Yo-Yo- "You Can't Play With My Yo-Yo feat. Ice Cube"
-Invincible- "Recognize feat. Finale"
-Ladybug of Digable Planets - "9th Wonder (Blackitolism)"
-Boss- "Deeper" & "Recipe Of A Hoe" & "Progress Of Elimination"
-N-Tyce: "Sure Ya Right feat. Father MC" & "Hush Hush Tip"
-Simple-E- "Play My Funk"
-Nikki D- [url= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDScONyyQKo]"Daddy's Little Girl"[/url]
-Mystic- "Fatherless Child"
-Jean Grae- "Supa Luv" & "Negro League Baseball"
-Lauryn Hill- "Keep It Tight"
-Paula Perry- "Paula's Jam"

Pete Rock discusses his catalogue

p7.
Rappers in advertising
Australian Hip Hop:
-Bliss N Eso:
--"Down By The River"
--"Flying Through The City"
--"Art House Audio"
--I Can ft. Jehst
--"Woodstock 2008"
--"Bullet and a Target"
--"How to Listen, Part 1" (omfg crazy instrumental)
--"Destiny Lane"
-Mantra- "Got Me Wrong"
-Dialectrix- "Outcast"
-Horroshow- "The Rain"
-Hilltop Hoods- "I Love It"
-Spit Syndicate- "Starry Eyed"
-13th Son- "Yo!"
-Thundamentrals- "How You Been?"
-Illy- "Diamonds"
-360- "Please Don't Call Me Crazy"

Kool G Rap vs Rawkus Records

Large Professor's favorite sample flips

Miilkbone- "Where'z Da Party At?" & "Keep it Real"

Black Thought- One and two

Akai MPK25 beat machine

You Already Know ... This Is What I Do

Last edited by thrILL! on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:49 am; edited 58 times in total
Darrelle Revis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is gonna be pretty awesome.

"I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."
thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's set this thread off with 3 classic hip hop anthems that can change your life; they definitely changed mine.

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "They Reminisce Over You"

Back in 1992, Pete Rock & CL Smooth released the first single from their masterpiece album Mecca And The Soul Brother. "T.R.O.Y." features a magnificent beat by Pete Rock that sampled Tom Scott's "Today" that invoked emotion in a way rarely seen in today's hip hop production. Even more amazing is the fact that Pete was able to pull this off with only 26 seconds of sampling time on the SP-1200. CL Smooth bears his soul on multiple subjects including being raised by a single mother as well as the death of Pet's brother Troy aka Trouble T-Roy who was one of Heavy D's dancers (Heavy D is their cousin). CL Smooth's mesmerizing flow matches the beat's glorious horns creating a song well known for being played at weddings and funerals. I first heard this when I saw the video on BET's Rap City (back when there were shows that actually showed music videos and good ones at that) when I was visiting a friend in Milwaukee. In the video, Pete & CL took you on a journey through their neighborhood on Mount Vernon, NY. We immediately when on a hunt looking for the song. Back then you had to buy it on vinyl or cassingle. What's a cassingle you ask? LoL

Cassette + single = cassingle. Back in the day, these always had the dopest remixes and bonus tracks you couldn't find on an album. This is before the Internet obviously. As you can see, I still have the tape almost 20 years later. It's my favorite hip hop song of all time so I had to keep it.

Souls of Mischief - "93 'til Infinity"

As many of you know, I'm a huge Alabama Crimson Tide fan and went to school there for 2 years. I was living in Chicago and made the move over 12 hours to Tuscaloosa. I gravitated toward my eventual crew that was comprised of friends from New York, DC, and Los Angeles. My boy Sean was a DJ from Hollis, Queens and would always bring back the freshest hip hop available. He and another friend had a Thursday night Hip Hop show on UA's radio station and always played the realness (altho we used to prank call and ask for the wackest groups we could think of- mainly Poison Clan). There was this new group that we quickly became fans of- Souls of Mischief. Of course we all knew Del The Funkee Homosapien who rolled with his cousin Ice Cube and he co-wrote Cube's classic "Jackin' For Beats" (it's obvious from Cube's flow) but now he had his own crew- Hieroglyphics.

These cats were from Oakland but at first listen I swore they were from NYC. I had never heard any West Coast rappers spit like this! First it was the group's debut single "That's When Ya Lost" which had "Let 'em Know" where they eviscerate anyone who steps to them. Lyrically (and production-wise) this is a masterpiece of an album and arguably the best West Coast album ever.

The first time I saw the video for '93 til, we were kicking it at my boy Broadway's apartment a couple blocks from Bryant-Denny Sttadium watching Yo! MTV Raps (back when MTV played music videos! Yeah, I know! Crazy, right?). We were bumping the Wu and Onyx on wax during commercial breaks and whenever a wack video might come on. Then they premiered the video for Souls' 2nd single- 93 'til Infinity. The beautiful loop of Billy Cobham's "Heather" mas flipped perfectly by A-Plus and remains one of my favorite beats (and songs). Souls go back and forth on the rhyme scheme switching bars arrangement. The video was a complete 180 from most videos. Usually, the videos of the time featuring rappers acting hard in their hood flexing with chicks and kicking it around the way. Souls took their video shoot to Yosemite Park and the brilliant director Michael Lucero captured their creativity with a video to match.

A few of my friends were yapping away so I went and sat 3 ft from the TV on the floor staring at this video. I was completely hypnotized by the sound and style of the song and video. I had never heard a track like this before esp not from the Bay Area! My buddy from Carson was hip to Hiero being from Cali himself and put me on to the Hiero Oldies tapes that were first started to circulate. I've been a huge fan ever since.

Common Sense - "I Used To Love H.E.R."

I've lived all over this country. Born in New Jersey. Moved to Milwaukee when I was a shorty and lived there up thru 8th grade (hence being a Packers and Bucks fan). Went to HS in Harrisburg (hated Penn St so while classmates went there, I dipped to Bama). A week after graduating, the fam moved to Chicago where I discovered this MC named Common Sense. I bumped his debut album Can I Borrow A Dollar? (produced almost exclusively by No I.D. then known as Immenslope) on the regular. Back then, he rhymed much different but in a city known solely for house music, it was refreshing to have an authentic rapper holding the Chi down. The album got a little burn (mainly "Take It EZ", "Breaker 1/9", and "Heidi Ho") but it was when he released a remix for "Soul By The Pound" that heads really took notice. I got back to Bama after the summer and my crew were all bumping the remix.

Almost a year later I had transferred to the University of Akron (long story) and patiently waited for Common Sense's follow-up (he wasn't forced to shorten his name to Common until his 3rd album) album, Resurrection. The first single was "I Used To Love H.E.R." where Common tells a tale about his love over a haunting No I.D. track. We all know what the song is about and if you don't then you should watch the video or listen to the song before this spoiler but it was the first time you heard the track that you'll never forget. The last line where he reveals he was speaking about hip hop. Nowadays, a song using a metaphor is (ahem) commonplace and we all break down songs and films as we watch (some more than others) trying to figure out what's going to happen. But it's the true works of art that are so good that you turn your brain off for awhile and enjoy it for what it is. This is a prime example of such a song. It's Common's magnum opus and IMO so is the album Resurrection.

This song actually led to a beef between Common and the Westside Connection who thought Common was dissing gangsta rap. They clearly didn't listen to the song but in all likelihood, they had friends gassing them up talking trash. Westside Connection attacked him out of the blue on their song "Westside Slaughterhouse" and repeatedly took jabs at him in interviews and on shows like Rap City. Common responded in a way that cemented his legacy. With Resurrection, Common had solidified himself as one of the best MC's in the game but nobody expected what was to come- a scathing response track produced by Pete Rock called "The B!+ch In Yoo" that shut them up so fast their heads spun. This song in itself is worth it's own post and down the road, we'll be featuring some of hip hop's greatest feuds.

Last edited by thrILL! on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Willink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was completely hypnotized by the sound and style of the song and video. I had never heard a track like this before esp not from the Bay Area!

My first impression on seeing the video was "uh, why are they rhyming in a forest??!".

Laughing

Diverging a bit from the theme of thrILL!s post, which focuses on classic records from the period, I'd like to outline two of my favorite tracks which fall within the time frame in question (roughly till 1999). CBA to do a write up for a third right now, I have class in like twenty minutes.

3rd Bass - "The Gas Face"

Now remembered by people considered "heads" today mostly for introducing DOOM, who made his first recorded appearance on this track, 3rd Bass was actually a fairly successful hip hop group commercially during the late 1980's and early 1990's, with tracks such as Steppin' To The A.M. and the not so subtle Vanilla Ice diss Pop Goes the Weasel, the latter of which attained gold certification and reached number one on rap charts. Serch was always an entertaining emcee, Pete Nice had a very matter-of-fact, carefully worded delivery that was accented by his appearance (dat cane and suit selection). The two combined with DJ Richie Rich and a number of other associated acts to put out some memorable music during a period where hip-hop's Stetsasonic-like quirky side was as vibrant as ever.

The Gas Face is built around samples of The Emotions' track I Like It and the Aretha Franklin track Respect put together nicely by Prince Paul. Throughout the track Serch and Pete Nice criticize artists quick to trade artistic integrity for record deals which is mixed alongside typical braggadocio of the period, and a description of how to actually use the gas face. After a guest apperance by DOOM the track then devolves into a list of people who do and do not get the gas face, which includes a hilarious diss of MC Hammer. In the video a foam hammer wearing glasses is smacked around and thrown on the ground as myriad of guest artists and label mates stand around making the gas face. It doesn't have the ill horns of a track like Product Of The Environment but it's a fun, quirky record that helped introduce the phrase gas face into hip hop lexicon (I remember hearing it before ever hearing the track).

L The Head Toucha - "Too Complex"

Jumping to the opposite of the spectrum, I think this record illustrates all that was good about the "underground" hip hop scene in the mid-late 1990's. Small independent labels like Dolo records and Beyond Real Records were quietly releasing tons of GREAT material with artists like Juggaknots and L The Head Toucha, and it was actually getting played on stations like Hot97. From that loose collective of underground artists guys like DJ Spinna came up and ended up contributing work for Black Star's album, which was sort of the pre-Kanye pinnacle of "alternate" hip-hop from a commercial and critical perspective after terrible schit like C-Murder and Silkk the Shocker somehow topped the charts and artists such as DMX and the like started to blow up.

The track itself is a tour-de-force in 90's NY hip hop production, with cuts of De La's verses from The Bizness building atop hard drums ( sampled from the Brethren track Outside Love) and a great flip of the Don Blackman piano work on the track Holding You, Loving You. Toucha's delivery is a dead-ringer for AZ, and his rhyme structure, flow, and cadence are all on point.

Quote:

Deep in the depths of the mind
the poets prime trapped like a mime
in the same space and time lifeless
vocals excel the trifeless
centerfold of ya' cyphers
my aura shines divine priceless

Ridiculous.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect

Last edited by Willink on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Let's set this thread off with 3 classic hip hop anthems that can change your life; they definitely changed mine.

The thread can only go downhill from here. Razz

Opening up with the three greatest hip hop tracks of all time.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this thread.

need to brush up on the "golden age" artists

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing
thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
thrILL! wrote:

The thread can only go downhill from here. Razz

Opening up with the three greatest hip hop tracks of all time.

We've got some really cool stuff in store for this thread. I like your tastes in hip hop tho if these are your 3 greatest hip hop songs of all time.

IrishGreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
i like this thread.

need to brush up on the "golden age" artists

same.

i'm gonna be following this real close.

great write ups thrilly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace 93' Til Infinity with Passin Me By Wink
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for a free DL of Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop featuring some of the best beats of all time. Guest stars include Brand Nubian, Showbiz, & Fat Joe.

thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesehead430 wrote:

A fantastic song and video (also directed by Michael Lucero who I plan on dedicating a post to at some point soon). I give Souls the nod bcuz all 4 MC's are better than the Pharcyde's. Ever heard their collabo project?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95mBfdWgvI

The first song is actually an A-Plus solo joint called "Curb Your Nerve" which has an insanely dope beat. Tell me that beat ain't hot? I can play that instrumental for hours too. The 2nd song is called "Amp" which features Souls and Pharcyde together (this is when Pharcyde was just Bootie Brown and Imani). I got to see them perform this together live in Cleveland back in '02 I think it was.

Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Cheesehead430 wrote:

A fantastic song and video (also directed by Michael Lucero who I plan on dedicating a post to at some point soon). I give Souls the nod bcuz all 4 MC's are better than the Pharcyde's. Ever heard their collabo project?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95mBfdWgvI

The first song is actually an A-Plus solo joint called "Curb Your Nerve" which has an insanely dope beat. Tell me that beat ain't hot? I can play that instrumental for hours too. The 2nd song is called "Amp" which features Souls and Pharcyde together (this is when Pharcyde was just Bootie Brown and Imani). I got to see them perform this together live in Cleveland back in '02 I think it was.

I didnt know that. Good looks I gotta check this out...
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Here's a link for a free DL of Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop featuring some of the best beats of all time. Guest stars include Brand Nubian, Showbiz, & Fat Joe.

Thank you.

New music in my ipod Very Happy

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing
thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
thrILL! wrote:

Thank you.

My favorite tracks from the album:

"Sally Got a One-Track Mind"
"F What U Heard"
"I'm Outta Here"
"Red Light, Green Light"
"What You Seek"
"Freestyle (Yo, That's That Schit)"
"Feel the Vibe"

tinoynk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Calibucsfan wrote:
thrILL! wrote:

Thank you.

My favorite tracks from the album:

"Sally Got a One-Track Mind"

One of my favorite beats, and songs, ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: