Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dashon Goldson has now been franchise tagged today
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Dashon Goldson has now been franchise tagged today Reply with quote

Quote:
San Francisco safety Dashon Goldson long has been the logical choice to receive the franchise tag, and that designation is expected to come today, according to a source familiar with the process. If the 49ers keep the tag on Goldson during the 2012 season, he would earn approximately $6.2 million. The deadline for applying the tag is Monday.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/source-goldson-to-receive-franchise-tag-today.html#storylink=cpy

UPDATED : http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/03/inside-the-49ers/niners-to-franchise-tag-dashon-goldson-according-to-report-will-they-re-sign-alex-smith-next/

Niners franchise tag Dashon Goldson. Will they re-sign Alex Smith next?

Quote:
If the Niners do not re-sign Smith before free agency, you’d have to wonder why. You’d think they’d want to reward the guy they call their franchise quarterback, but they haven’t done it yet. If they let Smith test waters, that would be a slap in his face. “Go see what you’re really worth,” would be the message. That would undercut their whole previous message to Smith, which was: “Don’t worry what other people think of you. We think the world of you. You’re our guy.”

The Niners need to give Smith his contract extension before March 13, or else things could get awkward and the waters could get awfully turbulent.

Last edited by oldman9er on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected, but nice to hear. Brooks and Goldson wrapped up. Now Rogers and the D should be as good as last year. Then on to Smith, and I'd sure like to see Ginn re-signed as I think his return skills would be hard to replace ... and everyone saw what happened without him out there for our last game. There, but for Ginn, was our chance at the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Expected, but nice to hear. Brooks and Goldson wrapped up. Now Rogers and the D should be as good as last year. Then on to Smith, and I'd sure like to see Ginn re-signed as I think his return skills would be hard to replace ... and everyone saw what happened without him out there for our last game. There, but for Ginn, was our chance at the Super Bowl.

I certainly didn't need that reminder! I'm still trying to get over that sting... Crying or Very sad
RedNGoldinSoCal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Agent-No-rush-for-Goldson-to-sign-franch?blockID=661990&feedID=5884

Agent: No rush for Goldson to sign franchise deal

Quote:

Pro Bowl safety Dashon Goldson is in no hurry to sign his one-year tender as the 49ers' franchise player, his agent said Friday.

"There are no plans to sign the franchise tag at this time," agent Ben Dogra of CAA Football told CSNBayArea.com via text message. "We will continue to speak with the 49ers in the upcoming weeks."

Didn't consider this option. Really hope this means they are close on a long term deal and not that Dashon is gonna hold out until the 3rd preseason game.... Mad

mike23md doin work on the sig!! ^^
Montana168

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Agent-No-rush-for-Goldson-to-sign-franch?blockID=661990&feedID=5884

Quote:

Pro Bowl safety Dashon Goldson is in no hurry to sign his one-year tender as the 49ers' franchise player, his agent said Friday.

"There are no plans to sign the franchise tag at this time," agent Ben Dogra of CAA Football told CSNBayArea.com via text message. "We will continue to speak with the 49ers in the upcoming weeks."

Didn't consider this option. Really hope this means they are close on a long term deal and not that Dashon is gonna hold out until the 3rd preseason game.... Mad

Yup, pretty much saw that one coming. I told everyone that Goldson would not be the type of player that would be happy to sign the franchise tag and work hard toward a long term contract. We saw this with his shenanigans last year.

Really hope the niners lock him up quick or this will get ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:

Quote:

Yup, pretty much saw that one coming. I told everyone that Goldson would not be the type of player that would be happy to sign the franchise tag and work hard toward a long term contract. We saw this with his shenanigans last year.

Doesn't make a lot of sense from Goldson's side, do they really think a team is gonna give up 2 1sts for him? Pretty ridiculous move unless they are close to a long term deal...unless I'm missing something

Montana168

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:

Quote:

Doesn't make a lot of sense from Goldson's side, do they really think a team is gonna give up 2 1sts for him? Pretty ridiculous move unless they are close to a long term deal...unless I'm missing something

Yah, as much as we would all LOVE to have 2 1st round picks instead of Goldson, that won't happen.

Goldson is essentially holding out instead of signing the tag. Happens every year because players typically don't like the tag. He wants a long term deal so he's not going to sign a 1 yr deal (which is the tag).

If he's looking for anything more than what SD gave Weddle or NYG gave Rolle, we need to let him walk. He's not worth more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame him for not signing, the guy played his butt off last season and has become a vital part of the heartbeat of the defense. IMO he is an irreplaceable piece.

Outside of Willis, J. Smith, and Aldon he is the next most important player on defense. He is the leader of the secondary.

Most of all as an offense you have to account for him. Whether it be due to his physical play or his ability to make a play on the ball. He closes quickly and has a tenacity we have only seen from one other safety in 49ers history.

If the niners drop the ball here I will be disappointed.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
I don't blame him for not signing, the guy played his butt off last season and has become a vital part of the heartbeat of the defense. IMO he is an irreplaceable piece.

Outside of Willis, J. Smith, and Aldon he is the next most important player on defense. He is the leader of the secondary.

Most of all as an offense you have to account for him. Whether it be due to his physical play or his ability to make a play on the ball. He closes quickly and has a tenacity we have only seen from one other safety in 49ers history.

Really? I think you're overvaluing him a little bit, here. I don't even think he's actually better than Whitner...

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
RedNGoldinSoCal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:

Quote:

Yah, as much as we would all LOVE to have 2 1st round picks instead of Goldson, that won't happen.

Goldson is essentially holding out instead of signing the tag. Happens every year because players typically don't like the tag. He wants a long term deal so he's not going to sign a 1 yr deal (which is the tag).

If he's looking for anything more than what SD gave Weddle or NYG gave Rolle, we need to let him walk. He's not worth more than that.

Just seems petulant, like a 4 year old holding his breath until he gets what he wants. Just sign it and keep working towards a long term deal, rather than spitting on the hand trying to feed you. In the words of Teddy KGB: "Pay dat myan hees mahnee!!"

mrscottso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

Really? I think you're overvaluing him a little bit, here. I don't even think he's actually better than Whitner...

This is one of the few times I have to disagree with you Rudy. Goldon is a top 5 FS no doubt. And he is very important to our secondary. He had some mishaps last season, but his good deeds clearly outweighed the negatives.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mattbarrows 49ers give Goldson "non-exclusive" tag. Technically, he can still hit FA market. But 49ers can match offers, compensation = two 1st rd picks
2 hours ago

I know it's not going to happen. But if somebody was to sign him we would get their first this year and next? I thought the max was a first now after the cba. Or does this work different than the tender

new sig... sorry alex
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
Montana168 wrote:
RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:

Quote:

Just seems petulant, like a 4 year old holding his breath until he gets what he wants. Just sign it and keep working towards a long term deal, rather than spitting on the hand trying to feed you. In the words of Teddy KGB: "Pay dat myan hees mahnee!!"

Is it possible that a player can't be signed to another contract once the tag is signed? In which case, he would simply delay its signing to give a chance to negotiations. If negotiations fail, he signs it and waves goodbye in a year. Goldson isn't the type who would miss training camp or games over contract disputes, I think. He wants to compete. Also, he doesn't want anyone to play in his place and show that he's replaceable. That would be bad for his leverage. Just last year, while Goldson was testing the market, Reggie was having an amazing training camp before his injury. What if he holds out, CJ Spillman plays great, so much that everyone realizes Goldson was the product of a great defense, as opposed to its key ingredient... then he would have no leverage at all.

Montana168

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

This is one of the few times I have to disagree with you Rudy. Goldon is a top 5 FS no doubt. And he is very important to our secondary. He had some mishaps last season, but his good deeds clearly outweighed the negatives.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Rudy here. There are 7 players on that defense I would rather have than Goldson. Ray Mac, Soap, J Smith, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Aldon. Our front 7 is what allowed our secondary to play aggressive and go for the interception, not the other way around.

If Goldson wants an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu type contract he's nuts. I wouldn't have a doubt that if he went to the FA market he wouldn't get nearly what the niners are offering him, considering there are plenty of safeties on the market with Griffin, Landry, Nelson, Zbikowski, Nakamura, etc. We offered him 25 mil last year and he turned it down, so I wouldn't doubt that we are offering him 30-35 mil this year. If thats not good enough, see ya later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

A player whose production fluctuates so much when the team is playing good and when it's playing bad can't be top 5 at his position. Year in and year out, good or bad team, a guy like Champ Bailey played like a top 5 player. Top players make their teams great. I see Goldson has a good player made great by his great teammates. Kinda like how TBC looked great in New England and... well, I don't have a word to describe how he played for us. He had great teammates in NE, a superb DL, LBs like Vrabel and Bruschi, good defensive backs (at the time). We have the best front 7 in football. I sincerely believe THAT makes any defensive back look great. Carlos Rogers came here and had a career year. Donte as well. Goldson had never had a breakout year just yet. I know, 3 years ago he had several interceptions and a couple of fumble recoveries... but I remember he had most of those plays in the two games against Arizona, and was very average the rest of the year.

Goldson doesn't make our defense great. He's the benificiary of the surrounding greatness. Top 15 safety in the league? No doubt. Top 10? Maaaaybeee. Top 5? I personally don't think so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: