Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

t21 and Packerraymond's FFMD Reviews - Page 1 Updated 4/11
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: t21 and Packerraymond's FFMD Reviews - Page 1 Updated 4/11 Reply with quote

So, for roughly the 928th consecutive year I will serve as a writer in at least one of the FFMD's. You can pretty much expect the same stuff that I post nearly every year...trade and draft grades and analysis, rumors and maybe a couple interviews.

If there is anything else you'd like to see, please feel free to post any ideas you come across.

Current plan is to post information in a new post whenever I finish it and save everything in the first couple posts.

I'll reserve the first four posts and you guys can simply go from there.

Last edited by titans0021 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors
Rumors

-- The Patriots have been discussing moving up in the draft and appear to be interesting in a deal that would send picks #27 and 31 to the Panthers in exchange for pick #9. Obviously a lot of work still has to be done before anything becomes official, but it's a deal to keep an eye on in the coming days.

-- Hearing that the Browns are planning on putting together an offer for All-Pro quarterback Drew Brees. Tough to envision a deal getting done as word is that the Saints have a massive price tag on him, but it will be pretty interesting to watch.

-- There have been some talks between the Bills and the Patriots on a deal that would send longtime left tackle Matt Light to Buffalo in exchange for a fourth round pick. Though this is essentially the same deal that was made in FFMD-I, I'm hearing that there is a bit more hesitation amongst the Bills staff to pull the trigger on this trade.

-- Hearing quite a bit of buzz about Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga. Apparently he has generated interest from three or four teams early on in FFMD and I would expect him to likely be moved out of Cincinnati in the next few days.

-- The Houston Texans have been looking into possible replacements for pass rusher Mario Williams. Thus far, those inquiries have included but are not limited to Vikings defensive end Brian Robison and Bengals outside linebacker Dontay Moch. Again, nothing too official in the works but they seem to be pretty set on bringing in some new blood to man the outside backer spot.

-- The Patriots really seem to be shopping around Wes Welker. Not sure they'll find the right value, but Seattle has shown a bit of interest in a deal that would send Welker to the Seahawks as a chip in a deal that would move New England into the top half of the draft.

-- Pittsburgh and Miami had been discussing a deal that would send Paul Soliai to the Steelers for a third round pick. Although Miami's general manager was in favor of the deal, the rest of the Dolphins staff stepped in and it seems like the momentum on that potential deal has halted.

-- While the Lions were initially shopping Cliff Avril, it seems as though it's unlikely that a deal will get done for the pass rusher at this point. Looking for late first/early second round compensation, something that most team's simply aren't willing to play right now.

-- It's tough for me to really get a good read on where this trade stands, but there has been a decent bit of talk on a trade that would allow Cincinnati to move into the No. 9 spot. Trade likely involves Cincinnati's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Keith Rivers in exchange for No. 9, Thomas Davis and a 6th. Could be the biggest trade thus far if it ends up going through.

-- In more news on the Patriots continued quest to trade up in the draft, I am hearing word that there is a potential offer on the table that would send the 27th pick, the 31st pick, a fourth rounder, Kyle Love, Dane Fletcher and Sterling Moore to St. Louis for the sixth round in the draft. This deal may not get done, but I fully expect New England to move up at some point in the next few days.

Last edited by titans0021 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Grades

Trade Grades V. 1.0

Houston Texans receive: Brian Robison, 6th round pick, 7th round pick, 7th round pick
Minnesota Vikings receive: 3rd round pick (#76), 2013 3rd round pick
Texans grade: B+
Vikings grade: B+
Analysis: This is a trade that I like but don't love for either side. Robison has been a solid pass rusher for the Vikings, posting eight sacks just a season after Minnesota lost Ray Edwards. The Texans had been looking to add another outside pass rusher and Robison should fit the 3-4 pretty well, but it's tough to know just how much of his success comes from playing across the best defensive end in football.

Minnesota is putting quite a bit of faith in Everson Griffin, someone who has looked good in spot duty but has a bit of a sketchy history. Two thirds is quality value for Robison and is probably all you can expect for a 28 year old with one year of true starting experience.

Think both teams improved themselves here...neither one got an incredible deal, but it looks to be a win-win trade.

New England Patriots Receive: 4th round pick (#105)
Buffalo Bills Receive: Matt Light
Patriots grade: B
Bills grade: B+

Analysis: This is one of those trades that I just don't have too many thoughts about. The Patriots have Nate Solder to take over at left tackle and viewed Matt Light as expendable and got the best they could for him. With Demetress Bell opting to move on, Buffalo needed to find, at the very least, a stop-gap to protect Ryan Fitzpatrick. Inner-division trade that works for both teams, although not one that will necessarily turn any heads.

New York Jets receive: Second round pick (#40), Jonathan Stewart, Eric Norwood
Carolina Panthers receive: First round pick (#16)
Jets grade: A
Panthers grade: B+

Analysis Really like this trade for the Jets. Never been a huge fan of the draft value chart but this would place Stewart and Norwood's worth right around the 40th pick in the draft. If you want to make a title run with a quarterback like Mark Sanchez while running packages for Tim Tebow, you need an upper-echelon running game. Though Stewart hasn't really been given the opportunity to carry the load, he is a very good back that could have a lot of success in New York. Stewart/Greene gives the Jets a great tandem that can take the pressure off of Sanchez and really finish around the goal line. Norwood, I would guess, was more of a throw-in but he could probably have some value as a pass rusher.

For Carolina, they really didn't have a place for Stewart or Norwood at this point. They have already made a long-term commitment to DeAngelo Williams and simply couldn't afford to be paying two running backs big money. They move up and get a first round pick, which is solid but not necessarily spectacular value. Pretty much the best they could ask for after everything I've heard/seen from other war rooms.

Last edited by titans0021 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021's Draft Grades
No. 1 - Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Grade: A
Analysis: Not really too much to say about this pick, as it's been pretty well known since January that this would be the selection. While I am not quite as high on Luck as others, when you're in the Colts situation, he's a player you have to take. Smart kid, athletic, good arm who has shown that he can make every throw necessary. I don't expect him to step onto the field and immediately replace Manning, but there should certainly be some Pro Bowls in his future.

No. 2 - Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Analysis: Similar to the Luck pick in the sense that this was a lock from the second the Redskins traded up. Really like what RGIII brings to the table with his arm, touch and athleticism and he could do some great things in Mike Shanahan's system. Will be interesting to see how he does in his first season, as Cam Newton has likely raised national expectations, but his ceiling may be as high as any player in this draft.

No. 3 - Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
Grade: B+
Analysis: Probably the best pick the Vikings could have made at No. 3, but I'm just not in love with the idea of Kalil as a top three pick. Minnesota was in a tough spot, as they simply couldn't get the value to move back, but Kalil isn't a bad consolation prize. After taking Ponder early last season, the Vikings needed an LT and Kalil certainly has the potential to be an upper echelon left tackle in the NFL.[/b]

No. 4 - Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson, RB, Cleveland
Analysis: This is a tough pick to grade. Richardson, in my mind, is probably the best player on the board and can come in and have success immediately (which is exactly what you want in a top five pick).....but, he also plays a position where the overall value is declining and is joining a team with a below average passing game where it will be tough to get teams to respect the pass enough to get that eighth man out of the box. Richardson has everything you look for in a back and as a Titans fan, I know how valuable a running game can be, so it's tough to really dislike this pick.

No. 5 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Analysis: Pretty clear that Claiborne was the best player on the board at this point and he fills a need for Tampa (particularly with the always present ?'s surrounding Aqib Talib). Claiborne has decent size for a corner with great speed and an understanding of the game that clearly goes beyond his test-taking skills. Claiborne should be able to start from day one and have success almost immediately. Rare to see cornerback prospects of this quality, so I like this pick quite a lot for Tampa.[/b]

No. 6 - St. Louis - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Grade: B
Analysis: To put it simply, I still have Blackmon as my #1 wide receiver in this draft so I'm not in love with this pick for the Rams. With that said, Floyd brings a lot to the table and has a very high ceiling. The Rams unquestionably need to bring in a player with the potential to be a number one wide receiver. I like Floyd, just not sure I like the value at the sixth pick. I understand that the Rams were unlikely able to get decent value to move back, so it's tough to be too hard on them.

No. 7 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
Analysis: With the way Gabbert looked last year, Jacksonville desperately needed to bring in another target for him. I'm not quite sure that he has the ability to turn Blaine into a competent quarterback, however he is an incredibly gifted player that should be a #1 for the foreseeable future. Like the value and it really fills a need.

No. 8 - Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
Analysis: I guess I've just never gotten the Tannehill love. I can't hate this pick too much, as Miami has a massive need at the quarterback spot and Tannehill is the third best quarterback in this draft class, but I just don't see a future franchise guy when I watch him play. He lacks starting experience and can get sloppy at time. Has the athleticism and skill set to be a starter, but I'm not sure he can start from day one. I understand the pick, just not a fan of Tannehill.

No. 9 - Carolina Panthers - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
Analysis: I really like what Kuechly can bring to the table. He is an underrated athlete that plays with intelligence and can make pretty much every play a linebacker can be asked to. He has the speed to be successful in coverage, can sniff out running lanes and is a quality fundamental tackler. Not sure I consider him worthy of a top 10 pick, but he should be a starter in the NFL for quite some time.

No. 10 - Buffalo Bills - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
Analysis: Overall, DeCastro is probably the most pro-ready player in this draft class and has the potential to be a top-tier guard very early on in his career. DeCastro is great in pass protection and though he is not an elite run blocker at this moment, he has the frame and overall skills to develop into a complete player. DeCastro completes what should become one of the top interior offensive lines in the NFL. I wanted to give this pick an A, I really did, but it's still a top ten selection on a guard.

No. 11 – Kansas City Chiefs – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Grade: D
Analysis: I just don’t like Poe as a prospect. I get that he is an incredible athlete for his size, but to take a guy from Memphis this early, he better have dominated the competition. With Poe, that simply isn’t the case. If he hits, he’ll hit big, but it’s just not a gamble I would be willing to take with the 11th pick in the draft.

No. 12 – Seattle Seahawks – Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
Grade: A-
Analysis: Ingram is just an incredible athlete that should develop into a quality pass rusher in the NFL. I understand the arm length/height concerns, but he has nice hips and quality technique. Value is just about right at this point. Though I personally like Perry better, I understand the pick and he should be an interest fit in Seattle’s defense.

No. 13 – Arizona Cardinals – Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
Analysis: When you think of the classic Iowa offensive lineman, you think of Riley Reiff. Tough, intelligent player with nice form that can both run and pass block. Has ideal size and long arms with good footwork. Maybe not the top tier athlete that you usually see with first round offensive tackles, but he should be a player you plug into your starting lineup from day one and not have to worry about the spot for a while.

No. 14 – Dallas Cowboys – Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
Analysis: I think Coples has good value here and personally, I think his overall skillset is a perfect fit for the 5-tech in Dallas. Coples has a ton of talent and can be a pass-rusher regardless of the defensive scheme. Cowboys needed to add a defensive lineman and grabbed arguably the best one available at this point in the draft.

No. 15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
Analysis: Cos has the potential to be a steal at this point in the draft…but honestly, I’m just not as high as him as many others. Fletcher has plenty of athleticism, but up until this year he had really failed to live up to expectations at Mississippi State. With all of that said, Jim Washburn may be able to work wonders with him as he has with so many others in the past and he joins an Eagles defensive line that has a large number of pass rushers.

No. 16 - Carolina Panthers - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Analysis: This was a tough pick for me to grade. I like Jenkins as a prospect and think he has the natural ability to become a very, very good cornerback in the NFL. His size is not nearly as much of a concern to me as it is to others. However, the fact that I am a Titans fan who had to deal with the disappointment that was Pacman Jones prevents me from giving this a higher grade. He reminds me of Adam both on and off the field and this is simply a risky pick at this point in the draft.

No. 17 - Cincinnati Bengals - Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
Analysis: Cordy Glenn comes with a bit more risk than you usually see from an offensive lineman taken in the first round. I assume that Glenn will play guard for the Bengals, where his size and physical gifts should give him every opportunity to develop into a damn good football player. Still, taking a guard in the first that is a bit raw lowers the grade a little.

No. 18 - San Diego Chargers - Nick Perry, OLB, USC
Analysis: I am a big fan of Nick Perry and feel as though his value is just about right at No. 18. Perry has elite athleticism, good size and has almost everything you look for from a pass-rusher at the next level. Assuming he will be rarely asked to drop into coverage, he should be able to have plenty of success standing up and attacking up field. While I personally think he is a better fit for a DE in a 4-3, he seems like a guy that could probably be effective in either system.

No. 19 - Chicago Bears - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Analysis: Kirkpatrick has great value at this spot and is one of those rare picks that both fills a need and is probably the best player available. Kirkpatrick needs some technical work but he has the size and speed combination that you look for in top-tier cornerbacks. He can jam at the line and knows how to play the run. Very good pick for Chicago.

No. 20 - Tennessee Titans - Devon Still, DT, Penn State
Analysis: This might be considered a slight reach, but Still fits what the Titans need on the defensive line and fills what is arguably their second biggest hole. After signing Kam Wimbley to take over at DE, they needed a bigger body that could play next to Jurrell Casey. Still desperately need a center but Still should help a defensive line that really struggled to generate pressure last season.

No. 21 - Cincinnati Bengals - Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Analysis: Considering the Bengals were strongly considering Barron with their previous pick, I'm sure most of the staff was relieved to see him still on the board here. In a weak safety class, Barron is clearly far and away the best option available. Barron has great instincts, good size, can read the quarterback and play the run. Not the fastest safety in the world, but somebody that you should be able to pencil in at strong safety almost from day one.

Last edited by titans0021 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond's Draft Grades
Packerraymond wrote:
Draft Grades (Picks 1-4)

1st overall: Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck QB
School: Stanford

Comments: This was an easy pick to make for Indy, it is commonly said around the NFL draft circles that Luck is the best QB to come out since Elway, and has little to no weaknesses. I don't think I would go quite that far in my assessment of Luck, but he is one of the best QB's to come out in awhile for sure. Everything you look for in a franchise QB he has, both on the field and off, replacing a guy like Peyton Manning will surely be difficult to do, but I don't think there is a player in this draft that can handle it as well as Luck. The Colts will begin a rebuilding process this year, and they found the most important piece of the puzzle first, it will be interesting to see where they go from here as far as building this team goes, but I really like the re-signing of Reggie Wayne as an early target for Luck to utilize. The Colts make the right pick at #1, and get the hopeful face of their franchise for the next decade or two.

Pick Grade: A

NFL Comparison: Floor = Matthew Stafford, Ceiling = Peyton Manning

2nd Overall Pick: Washington Redskins, Robert Griffin III, QB
School: Baylor

Another easy pick going to a team that was in desperate need of a franchise QB. Griffin is probably the most exciting player in this draft. He throws the best deep ball, is the best athlete and similarly to Luck, handles himself off the field how you would like a franchise QB to do so. Griffin had a meteoric rise to the tops of draft boards this season, being talked about as a WR or ATH early on in his career at Baylor, Griffin has certainly shown that he is a QB now, but his sudden rise should leave a slight cause of concern. He is a QB that will need to be developed a little more than Luck, I think you might be able to get more out of him in the end if everything clicks, but I would not feel as confident just throwing him out there right away as I would with Luck. Griffin can make all the throws and gives you the ability to extend plays with his legs, and pick up first downs on the ground. Ultimately how he will be utilized in Washington under Shanahan remains to be seen, but any smart coach would allow RGIII to be himself and tailor and offense around him, rather than tailor him around your offense. Overall, again this was obviously the right direction to go with the #2 pick.

NFL Comparison: Randall Cunningham (in prime)

3rd Overall Pick: Minnesota Vikings, Matt Kalil, OT
School: USC

The Vikings got Christian Ponder last year who they will now see if he is their franchise QB. The best investment you can make for a franchise QB is to pair him with a blindside tackle to protect him for the duration of his career, and that is just what the Vikings got here in Kalil. The Vikes had a few options to look at, I think it was a win-win scenario for them with Morris Claiborne probably receiving a lot of consideration as well. In the end, I like the pairing of a QB and a LT slightly more than grabbing a big time CB with this pick. Kalil is ready for the NFL and has a high ceiling to be one of the better LT's in the NFL. The only concern I have is that Kalil is a bit more of the new breed of LT in the NFL that is more about protecting the passer and less about downhill run blocking, that would be great for any NFL team except the Vikings have the best RB in the NFL, and will run their offense through him. In the end, I doubt it matter much, Kalil was a great pick here, and the best they could make on the board.

NFL Comparison: Jordan Gross, Carolina Panthers

4th overall pick: Cleveland Browns, Trent Richardson, RB
School: Alabama

Im usually strictly a BPA guy, and Richardson is debatable here as the BPA, however the only time I stray from that line of thinking is when a team without a franchise QB passes on a potential QB. 23 teams did it to Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay reaped the benefits. Cleveland needs a QB, and they have for awhile, I think I would have selected Ryan Tannehill here with this pick. Richardson will provide them a nice addition to build around if they have made a decision in Cleveland to get a guy later in the draft or next year as their QB, or stick it out with Colt McCoy. He will provide as solid running game to improve the transition for a young QB trying to get used to the NFL game. Ultimately I don't see him winning the Browns many games, the Vikings struggled to play .500 football with Adrian Peterson in the best, the Browns were still 5-11 the year Peyton Hillis broke out. In today's NFL, a great running back just doesn't put you that much over the top, Richardson will in no doubt help the Browns break in their eventual QB, but I feel like they could have gotten that QB here, instead of down the line.

NFL comparison: Frank Gore, San Fransisco (with more breakaway speed)

Packerraymond wrote:
Draft Grades 5-16:

5th Overall Pick: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Morris Claiborne, CB
School: LSU

Another correct pick here that falls right into line with what should happen come April 26. The Bucs grab the best player on the board who will come into their defense and push for immediate playing time. Claiborne is a better corner than former teammate Patrick Peterson, not quite the athlete or special teamer but strictly at corner I think he's the better prospect. The Bucs had a down year later year, and I think pre-maturely let go of their coach Raheem Morris because of it, this year with lots of cap space and a top 5 pick they have the ability to add talent around the nucleus of talent they already have. Josh Freeman must have a better year at QB in order for them to see in increase in wins, and a WR here wouldn't have been a bad pick, but the right selection here was Claiborne. He will add immediate contribution to their secondary as the Bucs continue the trend of adding young talent to their defense in the first round.

NFL Comparison: Brandon Carr

6th Overall Pick: St. Louis Rams, Michael Floyd, WR
School: Notre Dame

The first questionable pick in the draft, the selection of Floyd over Blackmon. The talent level here isn't too great in order to severely down grade the Rams, but there is no way Floyd is the 6th best player in this draft. You can convince me that you have him over Blackmon on the board, but not that you have him over some of the other talent available here. Personally, the Rmas got a Kings ransom for the 2nd overall pick, and they should have moved up a slot or two gotten Morris Claiborne and helped their awful secondary, but providing young Sam Bradford with a young talented receiver can't hurt them. Floyd is a different receiver than Blackmon, and I guess the Rams decided they wanted his skillset over that of Blackmon's which is fine for me, but I can't really buy Floyd as a BPA and more of a need pick, which is why its going to get a solid yet unspectacular "B" In the end, I wanted to give it a little lower grade, but Bradford needs some talent to throw the ball to, and there is no denying Floyd provides that.

NFL Comparison: Javon Walker (pre-ACL tear)

7th Overall Pick: Jacksonville Jaguars, Justin Blackmon, WR
School: Oklahoma State

The Jaguars were probably pretty happy to see the Rams pass on Blackmon, it probably did not take much thought to make this pick here. Blackmon provides something the Jaguars need desperately, a WR threat to help ease the transitional growing pains for Blaine Gabbert. The Jags have built a decent OL and run game behind Gabbert, but their WR's are awful. Even after Blackmon they still probably could use another WR in the early rounds, but there is no doubt that this is the best value pick in the draft. It's hard to find value in the top 10 because there isn't many chances for a prospect to fall so early, so getting a prospect who should've gone 1-2 slots higher is great value. Blackmon needs to make an quick transition to the NFL as he will be required to step in immediately and play for the Jags. HE and Laurent Robinson are a good start for Jacksonville to surround Gabbert with some talent on the boundaries, lets see who else they can add to wrap up the off-season.

Grade: A+
Comparison: Dwayne Bowe

8th Overall Pick: Miami Dolphins, Ryan Tannehill, QB
School: Texas A&M

As long as they don't feed him to the lions right away and let Matt Moore struggle with the lack of boundary players the Dolphins have, this is a great fit for Tannehill. Mike Sherman and Joe Philbin have both been associated with Packer coach Mike McCarthy who is one of the best QB developers in the NFL. Sherman coached Tannehill for part of the time at A&M and will have a familiarity with him from the moment he comes in. Phiblin has worked with Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn and knows how to develop a QB, as well as how to build an offense around the strengths of a QB. The Dolphins flat out don't have the offensive talent to support the learning curve of a young QB right now, and Tannehill should not play more than a snap here or there this next season. The Phins will have some cap room and a high pick next year that they can use to build around him even more. HE does have his LT for the next decade though, so that is one thing off the checklist, but after dealing Marshall, the Phins lack any sort of safety valve for a young QB, and as unfortunate as it is for Matt Moore, he needs to go out there and struggle so the Phins can develop their franchise QB. Phins fans will also enjoy seeing Ryan Tannehill's fiance around Miami and in attendance on Sundays.

NFL Comparison: Carson Palmer

9th Overall Pick: Carolina Panthers, Luke Kuechly, LB
School: Boston College

A very similar pick to the Packers in 2006 I think. Kuechly is a very similar prospect to AJ Hawk, as well as a former Panther Dan Morgan (minus Morgan's unfortunate injury problems). Kuechly is a solid yet unspectacular player who will be able to hang in the NFL for over a decade. I don't see Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis star power here, but he'll be a guy you plug and play in your defense and don't have to worry about. Much like Hawk has been in Green Bay up until his disappointing 2011 season. Kuechly surprised a lot of people with his athletic ability at the combine, but the fact remains with his play recognition and ability to find the ball as well as his short area quickness, Kuechly would've been a solid contributor without great combine numbers. The Panthers could have used some DL help here, which could negatively affect the immediate production of a LB if they don't find some help sooner rather than later, but they did find a starting LB for the next 10-15 years.

Comparison: AJ Hawk (the good, not the bad Laughing )

10th Overall Pick: Buffalo Bills, David DeCastro, OG

Top 10 for a guard may be considered a little higher, but Decastro has been deemed that once a decade guard prospect, that compares to the last once in a decade prospect Steve Hutchinson. The Bills could use a little more help on the outsides than the inside, so I question as to why they went this direction rather than grabbing a solid OT like Reiff or Martin here, but you can't argue with drafting a player who should start for you for the next decade. DeCastro is that type of player.

Comparison: Steve Hutchinson

11th Overall Pick: Kansas City Chiefs, Dontari Poe, DL
School: Memphis

One of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the draft, Poe has elite movement skills for a man of his size, but he's never put it together on the field in order for the film to show it. Poe is every bit the athlete that Haloti Ngata is, which is a huge compliment, but he's never been dominant, even at the conference USA level. The Chiefs have not gotten much out of their top DL draft picks like Tank Tyler, Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey in recent years. Im worried that Kansas City is not the place for Poe to reach his highest potential, nor do I know if Kansas City is a team that can afford to take a risk on the type of prospect Poe is. However, if Poe hits, Kansas City will have a player that they can build a defense around for the next 10 years.

Comparison: Haloti Ngata if he hits, "insert big DL bust" if he misses

12th Overall Pick: Seattle Seahawks, Melvin Ingram, DE
School: South Carolina

The Seahawks have a goofy defense that I don't quite understand, they play quite a few 3-4 players like Red Bryant or Alan Branch on their DL. They drafted a 3-4 backer in Dontay Moch in the last FFMD and they take another one here in Ingram. However, I think they have a good plan for how exactly they will utilize him. Ingram is versatile and should be one heck of a pass rusher in the NFL, exactly what the Hawks need. Im not sure that Nick Perry wouldn't be better there, with the familiarity with Carroll, but as just a prospect without the fit taken into account, Ingram is superior. Ingram is just what you want in a defensive football player, and with the big DL the Hawks currently have, some pass rush is much needed. Ingram should mix with Clemons to create a solid pass rush for the Hawks.

NFL Comparison:Elvis Dumervil

13th Overall Pick: Arizona Cardinals, Riley Reiff, OT
School: Iowa

Very similar to me as current Packer and former Hawkeye Bryan Bulaga, and this is right around where Bulaga should've gone in the 2010 draft, the Packers just got lucky to have him last to where he did. Reiff is a great pick for the Cards here, people question his ability to be a tackle or a left tackle and say he may need to move inside, but Im not buying it. Reiff will start immediately for Arizona and is a prospect that comes with very little risk for me. It's a coin toss between Jacksonville and Arizona through 13 for the best pick in the first round. Surprises me that a Seahawks fan made this pick, definitely can't complain about this one if your a Cardinals fan, SOS continues to benefit multiple teams with his FFMD participation.

Comparison: Bryan Bulaga

14th Overall Pick: Dallas Cowboys, Quinton Coples, DE
School: North Carolina

I do have my doubts about Coples fit as a 5 tech in a 3-4, but Ill give the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt here since they took the best player on the board, like they said they wanted to. Coples has so much raw ability it is surprising to see him fall out of the top 12, I think any team needed DL help should've jumped up and got the value he presented. Instead Dallas should be pleased with what he brings to the table for them. If nothing else he should provide an elite rush inside o r outside in a 3-4 nickel set on passing downs. The comparison to Julius Peppers is a little far fetched I would say, but the physical gifts at his size are easy to see. Dallas doesn't need much help on offense, other than the OL, so grabbing the most talent on the defensive side of the ball is exactly what the plan should be in Big D. That secondary is brutal, but the addition of Carr and the hopeful added pass rush here should improve that. THe only thing keeping this pick from A+ range is my doubts about Coples as a 5 tech.

NFL Comparison: Michael Johnson (with a smaller learning curve)

15th Overall Pick, Philadelphia Eagles, Fletcher Cox, DT
School: Mississippi State

Cox has been a late riser in the draft process, one of those guys who wasn't talked about as a 1st round pick till around the college all-star games. However Cox rise has been warranted, he is the most NFL ready of all the DT's that will go in the 1st round, and has elite movement skills to match. Cox will pair with Jenkins on the Eagles DL to create a duo that will collapse the pocket on 3rd downs, they may need to sub those guys on short yardage situations, but those are two defensive tackles who have elite movement ability and pass rush moves and should create a lot of pressure up the middle, that could result in a lot of sacks for guys like Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Brandon Graham and Daryll Tapp. A very solid pick here.

NFL comparison: Tommie Harris (in prime)

16th Overall Pick: Carolina Panthers, Janoris Jenkins, CB
School: North Alabama

Here comes my first low grade of round 1, no part of me likes this pick. It would be different if Jenkins had a clean slate as far as character concerns go. That reasoning I would understand when picking Jenkins over Kirkpatrick. However both prospects have character issues, but when grading out the two, I place Kirkpatrick far far above Jenkins, Ill take Stephon Gilmore over Jenkins too. Short corners always scare the hell out of me, and there is nothing big about Jenkins stature. In order for me to take a smaller CB, they need to make a Tyrone Mathieu type impact, Jenkins made some plays in college but never got to that level. Call me crazy, but I think Jenkins has one of the highest bust rates in round 1.

Grade: D
Comparison: Chris Houston

17th Overall Pick: Cincinnati Bengals, Cordy Glenn, OL
School: Georgia

A little bit of a reach here, but Glenn is still a fine player. Another big body with elite movement skills for his size. Glenn has the chance to be a more dominant interior lineman than DeCastro, but his risk level is much higher too. Glenn is going to need some good coaching at the next level, but I can't argue trying to put some big bodies in front of Andy Dalton, who showed a lot of promise as a young QB last year. I think the Bengals might have been able to get Glenn with their next pick in the 1st and steal someone like Dre Kirkpatrick here, but ultimately this is a solid yet unspectacular pick. Glenn should be a solid player for many years if he hits.

NFL Comparison Leonard Davis

Packerraymond wrote:
Picks 18-21

The 18th Overall Pick: San Diego Chargers, Nick Perry, OLB
School: USC

The highest potential of all the pass rushers in the draft IMO, people knock Perry for the 3-4 saying he doesn't want to play there or he is only a 4-3 DE and frankly, I just don't see it. Perry wants to rush the passer, and no other position presents him with a more diverse way to rush the passer than as a 3-4 OLB with a creative blitz package. Im not sure the exact way the San Diego defense will utilize Perry, but his skills won't go to waste. This may be a little early for Perry for some, but this is right about where I think he should go, the Chargers have immense talent that just doesn't seem to ever put it all together, hopefully for their sake that trend will end soon, but adding a pass rusher like Perry certainly won't hurt them on the defensive side of the ball.

NFL Comparison: Cam Wake

19th Overall Pick: Chicago Bears, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB

Perfect fit, perfect pick. Don't want to give the Bears too much credit, but they made one of the top 3 picks in the 1st round thus far. The only consolation for me as a Packers fan is that they probably won't make as good of a pick on April 26. Laughing but Ill give their new management a chance. Heck of a pick Bears staff.

NFL Comparison: Al Harris

20th Overall Pick: Tennessee Titans, Devon Still, DT
School: Penn State

Possibly a little early for Still here and I may prefer Worthy for a 4-3 team over Still, but I have no complaints with this pick. Tennessee has a pretty solid OL to build around for Locker, minus the center position. They have a great RB and some solid WR's so I agree with their mindset to go defense. Not sure if they could use Upshaw in their defense, but he would be the BPA here in my opinion. The Titans got a bit of a steal last year in Karl Klug, but there's no denying they need some DL, and Still is a good one. He probably could start for them immediately and will certainly help their defense.

NFL Comparison: Kevin Williams

21st Overall Pick: Cincinnati Bengals, Mark Barron, SS

Again like with Still, might be a hair high here for Barron, but no real problem with the value. Not entirely sure of the Bengals OT situation, but Jonathon Martin wouldn't have been bad here, adding Glenn and Martin to protect Dalton would've been a great haul for them, but Barron goes to the division with Troy P and Ed Reed at SS, hopefully for Cincy he'll fit right in. Cincy is getting better on that defensive side of the ball, and playing in the division they play in, it is important that they are. They have a lot of big talented bodies at safety and unfortunately one of them will find themselves the odd man out, but I doubt Barron is that man. Solid pick here.

NFL Comparison: Adrian Wilson

Packerraymond wrote:
Picks 22-27

22nd Overall Pick: Cleveland Browns, Kendall Wright, WR
School: Baylor

SO Cleveland adds Richardson and Wright in the 1st, not a bad haul for them, and while the still lack a true QB, they now have a very good slot receiver, a potentially dominant runningback and the best LT in football to groom a QB around. Browns fans may still have to suffer through this season, but an early selection of someone like Matt Barkley next year will have the remainder of the AFC North on alert 3-4 years down the road. Kendall Wright is the type of WR that the Packers love to take, not overly big of physical or fast, but has the big two things you look for when you want immediate production, he runs good routes and he has good hands. I don't know if Wright has #1 receiver potential, but in today's NFL teams can find their #1 guys from either the X, Z or H position and Wright fits very well into the H slot. Overall, nice job by the Browns of adding two playmakers in this round, still would've liked to see them grab Tannehill, but they have set themselves up well for a future franchise QB to take the reigns.

NFL Comparison: Randall Cobb

23rd Overall Pick, Detriot Lions, Jonathon Martin, OT

All three of our division rivals make excellent picks in round 1, the Lions draft one of the men that will guard the edges for Stafford for years to come. Not sure if Martin is a LT or a RT, but it doesn't matter, he has potential to be very good on either side. Backus is getting up there for Detriot and much like the situation Green Bay is in with Clifton, it was time to get a young OT to protect your franchise QB. I miss Matt Millen a lot.

NFL Comparison: Jamaal Brown

24th Overall Pick, Pittsburgh Steelers, Stephon Gilmore, DB
School: South Carolina

Love Gilmore as a DB and feel this was about the right time for him to go, maybe even a bit earlier. Surprised a bit that the Steelers passed on two guys in Upshaw and Brockers that would both fit there quite well, but they have done such a great job over the years drafting OLB's and 5 techs that I have little doubts if they need one they can find one later. Gilmore can either be a corner or a safety, its nice to find a 1st round prospect with that kind of versatility. Gilmore seems to fit what Pitt does in their secondary quite well, and they have the coaches to make sure he sees the most of his potential, can't argue with this pick.

Comparison: Malcolm Jenkins

25th Overall Pick, Denver Broncos, Jerel Worthy, DL
School: Michigan State

Despite missing out on Brockers and Upshaw who would be better picks, the Broncos made the most of who was left and picked a very good football player in Worthy. Worthy reminds me a lot of current Packer Ryan Pickett with his ability to hold the line of scrimmage in the run game, and I think he will add more pass rush than Pickett has in his career though. Worthy is a top 15 pick and the 2nd best DT in the draft when it comes to talent, but he has a fire that runs hot and cold and that is the reason he's a fringe round 1 guy, if Denver can keep his fire lit, I think they made a pretty nice pick here.

NFL comparison: Ryan Pickett (with more pass rush)

26th Overall Pick: Green Bay Packers, Courtney Upshaw, OLB

Don't want to go on too much about my team here, but there was really no way between Brockers or Upshaw that they could make a bad pick here. Upshaw will fit exactly what Dom Capers and Kevin Greene are looking for opposite Clay. Upshaw is stronger and more powerful then he is speedy and quick and will collapse the edge and hopefully with a bounce back year from BJ Raji, allow Clay Matthews to get back to a DPOY candidate.

NFL Comparison: Lamar Woodley

27th Overall Pick: New England Patriots, Michael Brockers, DE
School: LSU

The Patriots move up thee with Chicago, Arizona and Jacksonville as the best 1st round pick in round 1, they may have been surprised to see Brockers sitting there at their pick, and they still have another 1st in a few selections. The rich continue to get richer and the Patriots will look to build their defense back up to where it was during the Super Bowl wins. They aged pretty quick and have made an attempt to get younger, their secondary is still very bad, but the addition of Brockers will help their run defense and if he continues to develop, I feel he can be a fine pass rusher from the 5 tech.

NFL Comparison: Richard Seymour

Last edited by titans0021 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Final Rserve

Feel free to start posting.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to reading it man!!!

Props to Kempes ^
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
Looking forward to reading it man!!!

As am I. Glad we got a Titans fan doing it as well. SoS and Jrry were wack Laughing JK
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor Numero Uno

A source close to the situation tells me that the Steelers will entertain offers on Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace and linebacker Lawrence Timmons. No word on the exact price, but it is expected to be pretty steep.

Sounds like Pittsburgh will likely be looking to trade out of the first round as we get closer to the draft. Not a big fan of the nose tackle and inside linebackers at the top end of the draft.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor Numero Dos

Hearing that the Vikings have already expressed a good deal of interest in former first round pick linebacker Keith Rivers. Though injuries have destroyed what was once thought to be an incredibly promising career, Rivers is still just 25 years old and is the kind of low-risk, high-reward move that a team like Minnesota should take as they look to continue their rebuilding process.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor Numero Tres

There seems to be some interest in Cleveland in Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, although it seems to be limited to a late round pick. Certainly understand it from the Browns perspective, as Hass is a veteran quarterback with a ton of west-coast offense experience. For the Titans, not sure it's worth it, as Hass is a great locker room guy that can be a very valuable backup with a first-year starting quarterback in Jake Locker.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor Numero Cuatro

In addition to their interest in Keith Rivers, the Vikings have also sent out feelers for Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin and Dolphins corner Sean Smith. Both players are along the same lines as Rivers in that they were drafted high and have failed to live up to expectations. All three players were also shopped in FFMD-I so it would not be too surprising to see the Vikings land at least one of them.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a very exciting development, the Carolina Panthers have continued their tradition of letting every team know of their trade block. I was a bit worried that they wouldn't come through on that front....I was foolish.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor Numero Cinco

The Patriots have been discussing moving up in the draft and appear to be interesting in a deal that would send picks #27 and 31 to the Panthers in exchange for pick #9. Obviously a lot of work still has to be done before anything becomes official, but it's a deal to keep an eye on in the coming days.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detroit Lions are currently looking for staff members. Anyone that wants to help Detroit keep their troublemakers off the mean streets (I'm looking at you Fairly and LeShoure Laughing ), feel free to give them a ring.

Note: Detroit compensated me incredibly generously for this ad....if you want the same, shoot me what you're willing to offer and we'll see what I can do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: