Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raider News: Odds and Ends
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickButera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Raider News: Odds and Ends Reply with quote

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2012/04/20/mcclain-reaches-settlement-in-lawsuit/#more-19111

McClain reached a settlement, and most importantly his trial starts May 17th. I'd like to keep this football related and not get too offtopic. I bring it up because I think it's news worthy that this whole fiasco should be over well before the season starts. I think it'll be good to not have this looming over his head as a distraction and he'll be able to start the season fresh and focused on football. Court distractions are the last thing any young football player needs to deal with during the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/42589/raiders-draft-picks-yield-early-treasure

Quote:
The Raiders used five picks in the 2012 draft in five different trades but they did pick up two starters, including a quarterback, and three backup players who could contribute to the Raiders in the future.

Something we already all know about. But it's good to see the media putting it all together and not making us look incompetent. I like to see them taking it as it is, yes we have a depleted draft, but for every pick we gave up we've gotten good contributors at least. That's more than you can say about most drafts.

https://twitter.com/#!/1MontePoole/status/193803959281004544

Quote:
Spoke w Raiders chief Mark Davis, who reiterates Oakland is preferred option for team's future. No. 2? The Camp Parks site in Dublin.

Great news if you ask me. This says Mark wants to keep them in the East Bay, stay the "Oakland Raiders". Besides, Dublin is my old stomping grounds. I grew up in the Tri-Valley and went to high school in Dublin. Laughing

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more Rolando McClain news.

Rotoworld.com wrote:
Raiders MLB Rolando McClain underwent stem-cell therapy to address chronic pain in his knee and ankle this offseason.

"Iíve been having two seasons of nagging pain in my knee," conceded McClain, who says he now "feels a lot better." A radiologist in Gulf Shores injected fat cells from other parts of McClain's body into the knee and the area of a previous high ankle sprain. McClain is now working out five days per week, and says he's able to sprint "with hardly any pain at all."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:
Raiders MLB Rolando McClain underwent stem-cell therapy to address chronic pain in his knee and ankle this offseason.

"Iíve been having two seasons of nagging pain in my knee," conceded McClain, who says he now "feels a lot better." A radiologist in Gulf Shores injected fat cells from other parts of McClain's body into the knee and the area of a previous high ankle sprain. McClain is now working out five days per week, and says he's able to sprint "with hardly any pain at all."

IMO, this is major news that is worthy of lengthy discussion. This could a long way towards explaining McClain's lack of explosiveness to his critics.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

IMO, this is major news that is worthy of lengthy discussion. This could a long way towards explaining McClain's lack of explosiveness to his critics.

Would it explain putrid tackling and poor gap discipline?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

I agree. Im interested to see if he has any more explosion coming back this year. I know the ankle was bothersome but maybe we all didnt realize how severe it was.

Yeah he still has other problems that wont be explained by this, but no player is perfect and this could go a long way in making him a better player, even if he still has some holes he needs to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to practice should go a long way. I am excited to see what all our young guys do with a full offseason. I am glad they are focusing on technique already it seems they have pinpointed this as a way to fix our 4th quarter collapses last year.
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Being able to practice should go a long way. I am excited to see what all our young guys do with a full offseason. I am glad they are focusing on technique already it seems they have pinpointed this as a way to fix our 4th quarter collapses last year.

I forgot what it was but when I saw a video of Allen coaching he was all about technique. He seems to be very high on that type of stuff. I expect better tackling from everyone on this defense. Even Seymour who loves to wrap high for some reason.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

+1. I am one of those critics. I am very interested in seeing how this helps his explosiveness and speed.

I never heard anything about knee pain he had. I knew about the high ankle sprain.

Hopefully this is a step in him becoming what expected at the #8 overall pick. He looks trimmed down in the photos from mini-camp.

Very encouraged with him right now. Just needs to translate to the field.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

+1. I am one of those critics. I am very interested in seeing how this helps his explosiveness and speed.

I never heard anything about knee pain he had. I knew about the high ankle sprain.

Hopefully this is a step in him becoming what expected at the #8 overall pick. He looks trimmed down in the photos from mini-camp.

Very encouraged with him right now. Just needs to translate to the field.

Good post. Didnt Ro have the knee injury his rookie year? Wasnt that what caused him to miss a game?

He looks slimmer without a doubt. Hopefully getting healthy and trimming down will lead to an improved season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He definitely looks slimmer on the pics. Hope that helps with his sideline to sideline range.

Btw, Tommy Kelly wasn't on any of those pics and probably wasn't participating.. Could there be something to this?
daineraider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

Yes

Sigged by Jamison
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

Yes

Not really. He needs to learn to form tackle in the NFL. That's coachable.

I want to see a space eating NT come in that can keep him clean as well. He's pathetic at shedding blocks.

But I will say this, he's a worker. He seems to want to be great. If he can get his skills to where his heart seems to be, he can be something.

3rd year is make or break for him IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
But I will say this, he's a worker. He seems to want to be great. If he can get his skills to where his heart seems to be, he can be something.

Really though? How many top 10 picks that want to work hard to be great fly home to Bama for the weekend and wave their 9 in people's faces?

I'm less optimistic about him I suppose. Hope I'm wrong like DHB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Really though? How many top 10 picks that want to work hard to be great fly home to Bama for the weekend and wave their 9 in people's faces?

I'm less optimistic about him I suppose. Hope I'm wrong like DHB.

Hate defending the guy, because I agree with you on him. But he had a legit reason to be in Alabama. Death of a family member.

That doesn't excuse his retarded actions after the fact.

I am not overly optimistic about him as well. Looks like an average, never great player. The worst kind. Want to replace him, but never find the right guy for the job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too often people talk about LBs being terrible at shedding blocks, and I don't understand it. How many LBs are great at shedding blocks? Especially when they have to do it as much as McClain? Your DTs are supposed to keep the LBs clean, that is one of their main jobs because even the best LBs will have trouble freeing themselves against big offensive linemen. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't ever have to do it, but McClains ability to shed blocks is overnlown because he's always having to fo it, of course he will struggle to make plays when he's consistently having to shed blocks at the second level.

Also S&B88 Ro is a hard worker. I don't think any of us should question that part of his game. He's played through pain on a consistent basis and doesn't come across as lazy in the slightest to me. Doesn't mean he's without questions, but I don't worry about him putting the work in.

I also wonder at times just how much better Ro would look in a complex attacking defense. One he's been able to show he can get to the QB on blitzes and two because his biggest assest coming out was how smart he was and how high his football iq and that he was a coach on the field. We haven't ever been able to see that because we have beem so bland. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. Letting him have the freedom to make calls and checks to put himself and teammates into a better position to make plays. I think that will add quite a bit to his game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: