Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Warren Sapp files for bankrupcy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Warren Sapp files for bankrupcy Reply with quote

my heart bleeds

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warren-sapp-filed-bankruptcy-avoid-173009586--nfl.html;_ylt=AqNf5dmZVhCzz0AYlkPwSL1DubYF

...sorry if this has been posted elsewhere
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old news. /thread

Irrc, Sapp got swindled on a huge construction deal. It was either file bankruptcy or go to jail.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, it was front page news on yahoo's website today - should I delete the thread?
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No leave it up. This couldn't happen to a bigger blow-hard idiot.

I will bump it every time he gets loud about the Raiders. Evil or Very Mad

Raider X hooked me with the sig
bitty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never understand why athletes invest all their money in risky deals.
Are they that stupid?
What makes Sapp think he knows anything about construction he doesn’t even know anything about football and he played it for most of the life?
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
I will never understand why athletes invest all their money in risky deals.
Are they that stupid?
What makes Sapp think he knows anything about construction he doesn’t even know anything about football and he played it for most of the life?

Simple mathematics. You take someone with little to no life skills or genuine guidance coming from impoverished beginnings, pass them along because of their athletic ability, throw a ton of money at them and you're confused as to why they can't hold onto their money? It's the same reason many lottery winners can't hold onto their money. It's the difference between rich and wealthy.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if I buy that all the way. Former CB Terry McDaniel drove the same Honda Accord his entire career.

JTagg7754

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Dont know if I buy that all the way. Former CB Terry McDaniel drove the same Honda Accord his entire career.

Oh OK, so b/c one person did it, that means everyone does it. Gotcha. I don't know what the phrase "exception to the rule" means either.

PM sig requests.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Oh OK, so b/c one person did it, that means everyone does it. Gotcha. I don't know what the phrase "exception to the rule" means either.

Maybe you are confused by the phrase "Don't know if I buy that all the way". I can't account for your lack of reading comprehention. I just gave one example. I'm sure there are others. Rolling Eyes

I know several. Personally. Guys I coached that have done extremely well for themselves. Some still playing and others still coaching. One still in the league and one that did 5 years and is doing well for himself. Some in the NFL, some in Canada, some in Arena. One of my former teammates in HS got drafted and parlayed his camp money into a masters degree and has a great career after he didn't make it in the league. Sometimes others don't. It varies from athlete to athlete.

There is a difference between knowing for a fact from personal experience and making general assumptions based on guesses. How about you STFU for a change and quit trying to be an internet genius/wiseguy and learn something from people that actually know.

big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Pretty sure Nnamdi has his same Honda from college. I remember a video of him talking about it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
• By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

LINK

The flawed logic being applied here is confusing micro-economics and macro-economics. Citing numerous personal experiences obviously does not debunk what is a pandemic on a large scale. There is tons of information about this particular issue.

Bonez wrote:

Last edited by Baggabonez on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Quote:
• By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

LINK

The flawed logic being applied here is confusing micro-economics and macro-economics. Citing numerous personal experiences obviously do not debunk what is a pandemic on a large scale. There is tons of information about this particular issue.

Wow just Wow how could people be that stupid ?
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Quote:

LINK

The flawed logic being applied here is confusing micro-economics and macro-economics. Citing numerous personal experiences obviously does not debunk what is a pandemic on a large scale. There is tons of information about this particular issue.

Agreed. But just because it happens to the masses doesn't mean a guy can't be sucessful.

I work on getting our guys either academic or athletic scholarships by giving them the information on colleges and universities that they may not know about. You know, just because USC doesn't want you doesn't mean you can't play somewhere in college. The parents often lament the fact that we don't push the HBCU's (black colleges). Especially since the majority of us on the staff are black. Well alot of HBCU's have single digit or teen 4 and 6 year graduation rates. As do places like Humboldt State here in Cali that aren't traditional HBCU's.

We just look at where to send a kid based on his performance in the class in HS. So just because a place has a low graduation rate doesn't mean an athlete can't navigate the system and get a degree. It can and (in select cases) is done. Just like the NFL. If a guy is guided properly, there is nothing to prevent him from being sucessful and holding on to his loot.

Now the divorce part...

...can't help y'all there homie. Laughing

Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Agreed. But just because it happens to the masses doesn't mean a guy can't be sucessful.

No one has suggested that success isn't achievable. Nor am I relinquishing personal responsibility or accountability.

Rather I am simply acknowledging a system that is grossly inefficiently and performing woefully at achieving it's stated goals. In addition, how naive it is to suggest that the exchange of athletic performance for a "free" education is an equitable exchange when said athlete is usually unable or grossly under-prepared to capitalize on his part of the deal.

It's the "Hunger Games" analogy. A group is throw together, some of which are exponentially more prepared than some others who are completely under-prepared, and then suggest that they all have an equal opportunity to become part of the 1%.

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
If a guy is guided properly, there is nothing to prevent him from being sucessful and holding on to his loot.

This is where the rubber meets the road. Many of these lack guidance during their formative years. Some may suggest that this inequitable exchange of services for something of intrinsic value amounts to exploitation, others may suggest that the treatment of college athletes and their experiences during their tenure makes up that difference in equity. I am saying neither other than to suggest perhaps we need to look at creating a more effective system.

One suggestion: Rather than paying athletes, why can't the schools that win a national championship give back to the communities that make up the majority of their recruits by providing "life coaches" to elementary schools? or just adopt these urban schools outright to relieve the burden on the education system and tax payers?

Bonez wrote:
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I have is the "intrinsic" value of a formal education. While I am not suggesting not to go to school, I'm questioning how we calculate the true value of an education. Imo, the value of an education should be the earning income of achieving said degree. In other words, if you go to Harvard for a BA in Education the value of that degree should not be $500K but $35K because that's your return.

A kid who plays for Alabama, wins a championship, doesn't go pro and graduates with a degree in sports nutrition got paid $17K for his contributions. period.

Even when kids who aren't athletes do beat the odds and graduate they still can't find a job.

Study: "The declining returns of formal education" or something like that.

Bonez wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: