Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints NFL Draft Recap 234-Marcel Jones, OT Nebraska
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft gets a solid C/C+ from me.

I wanna give the Saints more, but I just can't.

Akiem Hicks is a good pick. Anytime a guy like Mayock says that if he played at LSU he would've been a top-10 pick, you got it good. Les Miles said something similar and his measurables are really good. I like the pick.

Nick Toon also is a good pick. While we have a decent WR corps, we'd be putting a lot of faith in AA and Morgan. I never saw the AA hype and Morgan is fresh off a season ending knee surgery. Depth is never a bad thing. I like the pick.

Corey White is a major what on earth pick for me. If we wanted a SS, a guy like Markelle Martin was there. If we wanted a CB, Dennard was there. Yet we took a SS who might be a nickle for us, but has the tools for a SS? I don't know if I like that pick. We'll see what our staff sees, but I don't see it. Don't like the pick.

Andrew Tiller is another what on earth pick for me. We have Grubbs and Evans for the foreseeable future. DLP as our starting C. Tennant as our backup C/G. Why take a guy like Tiller who is probably a PS guy at best for us this year. Nice run blocker, sub par pass pro. I don't see the point right now. Don't like the pick.

Marcel Jones is the pick I like. OT guy from a school which produces quality linemen. Has the potential and physical ability to play LT in the NFL, just needs polishing. I do like that at times he has dominated opposition, but seems like a guy we can stick behind Streif at RT and let him develop. I like the pick.

OK draft, but I feel it could've been better for us.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a stand point of where The Saints were in (dont feel right saying us just yet) coming into the draft I would give it a B-. Only because they addressed needs in a pretty gloom situations. Did a nice job of keeping things in order, could have been worse the jags picked a punter remember?
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Akiem Hicks is a good pick. Anytime a guy like Mayock says that if he played at LSU he would've been a top-10 pick, you got it good. Les Miles said something similar and his measurables are really good. I like the pick.
So do I. Not our biggest need, but he could make Sedrick a luxury next season if he shapes up.

Canadian Saint wrote:
Nick Toon also is a good pick. While we have a decent WR corps, we'd be putting a lot of faith in AA and Morgan. I never saw the AA hype and Morgan is fresh off a season ending knee surgery. Depth is never a bad thing. I like the pick.
I agree. I think he'll look great with Brees throwing to him, and gives us a depth buffer before AA and Morgan would be needed. Totally agree with you here.

Canadian Saint wrote:
Corey White is a major what on earth pick for me. If we wanted a SS, a guy like Markelle Martin was there. If we wanted a CB, Dennard was there. Yet we took a SS who might be a nickle for us, but has the tools for a SS? I don't know if I like that pick. We'll see what our staff sees, but I don't see it. Don't like the pick.
I liked the pick when it looked like they were gonna put him at SS. It now looks like they are going to play him at CB. I don't like it either.

Canadian Saint wrote:
Andrew Tiller is another what on earth pick for me. We have Grubbs and Evans for the foreseeable future. DLP as our starting C. Tennant as our backup C/G. Why take a guy like Tiller who is probably a PS guy at best for us this year. Nice run blocker, sub par pass pro. I don't see the point right now. Don't like the pick.
I don't like it either. This is my least favorite pick. Unless he has the ability to backup LG, RG, and RT it seems like a wasted pick.

Canadian Saint wrote:
Marcel Jones is the pick I like. OT guy from a school which produces quality linemen. Has the potential and physical ability to play LT in the NFL, just needs polishing. I do like that at times he has dominated opposition, but seems like a guy we can stick behind Streif at RT and let him develop. I like the pick.
I agree here as well. Charlie Brown at RT and Marcel Jones at LT in a couple years could be really solid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiem Hicks - Never heard of him before today but like the pick, and DT is a big need still because after Ellis and Bunkley we have... that's right nobody worth mentioning. Let's him be a rotation guy that might develop into a stud.

Nick Toon - Don't really think he's the biggest need and would've preferred a defensive player or offensive line, but he's a very good player and could be a Mario Manningham type player.

Corey White - Didn't know who he was prior to today again, looks like he has solid potential, I think he's another Malcolm Jenkins type guy. Drafted to play CB but ends up being best suited as a safety and also CB depth if we really need it. So Dime CB/SS this year and SS in the future.

Andrew Tiller - No clue, absolutely hate this pick, lots of very good players that would've actually filled a need.

Marcel Jones - Fills a need, I think this moves Charles Brown to back-up LT for now until Jones is ready with him filling in as back-up RT.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walterfootball on Corey White:

162. Corey White, S, Samford: D Grade
I don't give out F grades on Day 3. If I did, this would be an F. No major big board had Corey White in the top 500. I didn't think he would even be a priority UDFA.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:

I don't give out F grades on Day 3. If I did, this would be an F. No major big board had Corey White in the top 500. I didn't think he would even be a priority UDFA.

Apparently at least 1 board had him above 500. Ours.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

And you were going off on me for not liking this pick? Confused
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

And you were going off on me for not liking this pick? Confused

No, I was just pointing out that not liking a pick because internet big boards didn't like it is a little weak. You gave solid reasoning that I agree with, not "He wasn't a popular guy."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily most excited about Hicks and Toon, I think Toon should be able to contribute early and often.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we didn't give up any future picks during the draft. I didn't see anyone worth trading up, but it was frustrating to watch this year as a Saints fan. Not only was it boring because we didn't pick until the third, but it seemed like every time we picked there were a handful of guys I was hoping for and we passed on the everytime. I like the Hicks pick, and the Toon pick was decent, but I wanted to go defense there. The Corey White pick is puzzling, but I'm kind of glad we took a risk instead of being safe like we usually are. I don't understand why we drafted a Guard, but I guess you can never have too many O-lineman. And I liked the 7th round pick; good value and a position of need.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey White Interview:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/White-Says-He-is-Eager-for-Opportunity-in-New-Orleans/cb516201-31c4-4b90-8b49-e76e52dae957

He's already growing on me Very Happy I like his confidence. Hasn't even gotten on a plane yet and already talking about picking off Brees in practice. We'll see what happens with him, but I am already liking him.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Corey White Interview:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/White-Says-He-is-Eager-for-Opportunity-in-New-Orleans/cb516201-31c4-4b90-8b49-e76e52dae957

He's already growing on me Very Happy I like his confidence. Hasn't even gotten on a plane yet and already talking about picking off Brees in practice. We'll see what happens with him, but I am already liking him.

I'm gonna like this kid at safety, but not at CB. I was pumped with the pick till I found out he was primarily going to play CB.

Everything about him screams SS to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love each and every pick. They stuck to they board and they went with the highest rated player. I'm not mad at only.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a couple Q and As from an article on NOLA about our draft.

Quote:
Spagnuolo Q: Are you looking to play White at corner initially rather than safety?

A: "Yes, he has some length. We're going to be a press team. He had shown he can do that pretty good."

Quote:
Spagnuolo, Vitt, McMahon Q: Do you like his vertical ability?

Spagnuolo A: "Yes, he showed that. He's one of those guys that showed up a little bit at an all-star game...small-school player, but a guy that shows up. All the feedback we received from the coaches and the information was positive."

Vitt: "I think one of the things that were impressive about him is that when he played against a big-time opponent he played really well."

McMahon: "He jumped out in the Auburn game. We saw him on certainly defense and special teams. He's a guy that when you come from a small school, you want to see him against good competition. He played well."

Quote:
Spagnuolo Q: Some people had Corey White in the 600's for available prospects. What went into evaluating him so high?

Spagnuolo A: "Joe (Vitt) hit it when he said we put a premium on corners in the package we're going to run on arm length, height and his press ability. He showed that he was able to do that in this system. We have corners that have done that a lot. I think he'll fit in that way. He played at a small school so you'll get dinged for that a little bit and I don't know if that's always fair. That's what our scouts dug up, a good name, a good prospect, we all looked at him and thought he was a pretty good football player."

Quote:

Vitt Q: Do you feel like you're finished filling in with free agency?

Vitt A: "No, we're never done. We're going to look at the board every day. Mickey (Loomis) and Ryan Pace are going to always look to upgrade our football team. It's funny, the draft just happened and now there's going to be a second wave of cuts around the league. We're going to evaluate that and see how we can upgrade our football team. That's an ongoing process."

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

Quote:
Spagnuolo, Vitt, McMahon Q: Do you like his vertical ability?

Spagnuolo A: "Yes, he showed that. He's one of those guys that showed up a little bit at an all-star game...small-school player, but a guy that shows up. All the feedback we received from the coaches and the information was positive."

Vitt: "I think one of the things that were impressive about him is that when he played against a big-time opponent he played really well."

McMahon: "He jumped out in the Auburn game. We saw him on certainly defense and special teams. He's a guy that when you come from a small school, you want to see him against good competition. He played well."

So I went back and tried to find the Auburn vs. Samford game. Best I could do is this:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=313230002

November last year.

Of the videos I didn't find him, but in the PBP, it seems he had an unspectacular game.

Not sure how he was a standout, but that's why we have scouts. Laughing

Why couldn't we take Dennard heh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: