Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoS's Fantasy Questions: Baltimore Ravens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: SoS's Fantasy Questions: Baltimore Ravens Reply with quote

How's it going guys!? I'm sure many of you know me as the rambunctious Seattle homer that posts way too much.

Well in my spare time during this time of the season I usually run a Fantasy Football Advice thread for those of you that are into that kinda thing. Check out the 2012 thread I'll be making soon!

Anyways, I just had a few questions to ensure that I'm not ignorant with any advice I provide this offseason. That's why I've come up with a batch of clarifying questions for all 32 teams and getting my facts straight. Thanks to everyone that helps in advance!

Questions
1. Ray Rice had a monster season last year. Should fantasy owners expect him to reproduce that performance, and more importantly the targets he received last year?

2. Torrey Smith had a really good 2011 rookie season. Should he be considered the Ravens WR to own over Boldin going into next season?

3. I know you have Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Are either worth owning in a fantasy league for 2012?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would assume Rice's role in the offense stays pretty much the same. There haven't been any important additions or subtractions to the Ravens offensive skill players nor do I expect Cameron to change the offense up that much. His production should be somewhat the same in both the rushing and receiving categories. Rice is a solid top 5 fantasy pick or worth a high auction price, depending on your league.

2. From what I can tell Smith was the Ravens WR to own in fantasy football last season (in my league at least, which is pretty standard with PPR) and I would expect an even better season from him this year. Boldin hasn't put up big fantasy numbers for the Ravens in his time on the team and I don't expect that to change. I wouldn't take either of those guys as more than a 3rd WR though.

3. Probably not. The main target between the two seems to vary from week to week. Flacco doesn't get the ball to either of them enough to warrant a solid starting TE for fantasy. I wouldn't even trust them as a bye-week replacement, it's just too much of a gamble projecting which one gets the targets.
drd23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, but with the caveat that Rice's production will remain that of a Top 3-5 fantasy back so long as he doesn't hold out from Training Camp. IDC how good a player is and how much he stays in shape, if they hold out until the season starts, its going to effect their production early in the season.

Torrey Smith will probably have ~1000-1200yds receiving, Boldin ~800yds

I wouldn't expect much to change from a production standpoint for either of the TEs unless Dickson has magically improved his catching/consistency and even then, I'd only expect an extra ~150yds or so of production.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
freezer-52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice - the contract concern still makes him less of a risk in the top 4 of the first round than any RB outside of Arian and LeSean. Rice's weekly point rage will be from 11-30 in 10 yds/point leagues and the backs that go after him (MJD - contract ; Ryan Matthews - durability ; CJ - kind of a bum ; McFadden - durability ; AP - knee ; Demarco - Ankle ; Forte - major contract) pose larger risks in my opinion

ditto on torrey smith, he could produce as your #2 WR and allow you to have studs in other areas

as for dickson and pitta, while i agree they are not starters, i believe they are good matchup plug and plays for the bye week. pitta finished the year strong with a 62 yd 1 touchdown game against cincinatti, and i think he'll become a well owned player once hes leading free agent TE's in touchdowns come week 7. theyre both worthy of your watch list, as they are the most reliable red zone targets on the team
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party without much to add..

1. Rice is consistent and with a back behind him to spare him (Bernard Pierce) like he had with Ricky, he should continue to run fresh like last year.

2. I'm going to take the negative angle with Torrey. My prediction is Torrey has a little bit of a sophomore slump. Towards the end of the season, defenses started focusing more and more on Torrey and not allowing him to beat them deep, bracketing him over the top with an extra man. In 2012 I expect that to hold true. Defenses will force Flacco/Boldin to have to beat them. I also have a feeling that Torrey Smith has a few nagging injuries that cause him to miss a few games. I'll put his sophomore production at a similar level as his rookie year so even though I expect Torrey to improve his skillet, I don't think we fully see it.

3. No, but be on the lookout for Dennis Pitta he's been slowly stealing reps as the "main TE" if Dickson struggles any, Pitta could find himself seeing a lot more targets. But even still, not worth the gamble at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: