Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Presenting: The Top 50 NHL Franchise Cornerstones *6-8*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8. Drew Doughty, D, Kings

In case you haven't noticed, L.A. is well represented on this list, with 3 players earning spots in the top 15, including their #1 stud d-man, Drew Doughty. His junior career wasn't overly decorated, although Doughty earned top defensive honors at the 2008 WJC, where he helped lead Team Canada to a gold medal. Doughty was also consistently named top OHL offensive d-man while playing for the Guelph Storm.

Taken 2nd overall by the GM Dean Lombardi and the Kings, Doughty was a highly touted prospect and led an impressive group of young d-man in the 2008 draft class. Doughty was always more noted as an offensive blue-liner by scouts in juniors, centering his game on his fluid skating, excellent breakouts, and rare ability to create myriad of scoring chances. However, he showcased his sound defensive abilities at the WJC, and has really transformed into an all-around d-man under the Kings defensive umbrella. The leaps and strides in the d-zone already taken by the young Canadian blue-liner at such a young age just goes to exemplify the character and work ethic of Doughty. A true #1 franchise defenseman to build around.

A case could be made that Doughty took a step back in 2012, at least before the playoffs provided both he and his teammates a fresh start. However, Doughty was without question, IMO, the best d-man in all of hockey in the playoffs, scoring 16 points in 20 games while logging 26:09 TOI/G and posting a 1.62 on-ice plus/minus per 60 minutes. The Kings, of course, won the Stanley Cup. In the regular season, however, he scored a mere 39 points, his lowest point total since his rookie season. Doughty's best statistical season came in 2010, when he earned Norris finalist honors. Scoring 59 points, including 16 goals, Doughty led the Kings with a 2.66 on-ice goals for per 60 minutes and 1.90 on-ice goals against per 60 minutes. Furthermore, he became the youngest player since Eric Lindros to represent Canada at the 2010 Olympics, and did so in grandiose fashion, playing in all situations and showing maturity beyond his years. Still just 22 years of age, Doughty is only beginning to scratch the surface of his enormous talent. When it's all said and done, I'd expect him to have multiple Norris trophies vaulted away in the trophy case.

Offensive Potential - A
Defensive Potential - A-

Doughty goes coast-to-coast

7. Jonathan Toews, C, Blackhawks

The first of the true elite tier forwards, Toews has amassed a multitude of accolades and awards, and rightfully so, dating all the way back to his college days, where the young star center played for the University of North Dakota. It's unusual for Canadian prospects to play at the collegiate level in the United States, but certainly not uncommon. Regardless, he compiled 85 points in two seasons, and led the Fighting Sioux to two Frozen Four appearances. He also won gold with Canada at the 2007 WJC.

The now 24-year old Toews was the 3rd overall pick in the 2006 draft, where Chicago would finally nab their face of the franchise after nearly 2 decades of mediocrity. Renowned for his leadership qualities and dedication to the game, Toews was always seen as a future bearer of the iconic 'C' letter, and sure enough, at the age of 20, he became the youngest ever captain of the Blackhawks. Furthermore, the young Canadian center plays the perfect brand of two-way hockey, blending his gritty, defensive qualities with his dynamic skill and finesse, making him one of the game's best all-around forwards. He's not a 50-goal scorer, and probably never will be, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a weakness in his game. The prototypical captain and ambassador for a hockey club.

Statistically, Toews has been revered by many, although, as mentioned in the last paragraph, much of what he brings to a franchise doesn't often make headlines, whether it be winning face-offs, killing penalties, or blocking shots, all of which Toews excels at. However, he can certainly dangle with the best of them too, and has had several magnificent offensive seasons to date in his young career. The 3-time all-star, Toews has notched 40+ assists twice and 30+ goals twice, with 76 being his highest single-season point total to date, coming in 2011. In 2012, Toews managed to produce at a point-per game pace, but concussions derailed the last third of his season, enabling him to only perform in 59 games. After 5 seasons in the NHL, Toews holds an impressive +84 career mark. More importantly, in 2010, Toews led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup in 49 years, scoring 29 points in 22 games and winning the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP in the process. He became the 2nd youngest player to ever win the award. Internationally, Toews has also already won Olympic gold, and also received best forward honors at the tournament. Having won so many awards and honors at such a young age, one wonders what Toews has in store for his fans next.

Offensive Potential - A
Defensive Potential - A

Toews dazzles

6. Alex Ovechkin, LW, Capitals

The Great 8. Once regarded by many as the best player in the world, Ovechkin's play hasn't been as stellar or electric in recent years, although he remains one of the game's most dangerous scoring weapons. A product of Dynamo Moscow of the KHL, Ovechkin spent his junior years playing in his homeland before heading overseas after being drafted by the Capitals. Ovie won the Russian Superleague title in 2005 and was also named best forward at the WJC.

Hyped as a future superstar, Ovechkin was taken #1 overall in the 2004 draft, although his debut was delayed until 2006 due to the NHL lockout the year immediately following his draft. The uber talented Russian winger possesses a lethal set of hands, enabling him to shoot, stick-handle, and pass with amazing efficiency. He isn't afraid to shoot the puck, he's always amongst the league leaders in shots, nor throw his body around, although he is prone to bad penalties and taking himself out of position. Nevertheless, the flair and passion in which he plays the game makes him the electric and popular athlete that he has become. In the d-zone that passion unfortunately disappears, and he goes on autopilot. Ovie will probably never be a penalty-killer, or even just a solid defensive player for that matter, but his offensive production is eye-popping and that has ultimately rendered him one of the faces of today's NHL.

Of course, when Ovie first debuted in the NHL we all got to witness the amazing race between he and Crosby, both rookies at the time, for the Calder award, with the former winning by a nose in the end. Ovechkin's rookie season was magnificent to say the least. He potted 52 goals and 106 points, breaking multiple franchise and league records in the process, while also earning 1st team All-NHL honors. Ovechkin went on to score 65 goals and 112 points in 2008 en route to his first ever MVP. In fact, that year Ovie became the first player to ever win the Hart, Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and Maurice Richard trophies all in one season. Already a member of the esteemed 60 goal club, Ovechkin has also tallied 50+ goals 4 times and 100+ points 4 times, and has amassed the following trophies: 3 Ted Lindsay, 2 Harts and 1 Art Ross. Recently, however, Ovechkin has managed 85 and 65 points respectively in the past few seasons, a pretty substantial drop from his previous production. Nonetheless, a spot this high on the list is fully warranted due to his exquisite track record; but whether or not he can return to top form remains a question mark. Ovechkin turns 27 next year, and it will be intriguing to see how he grows under new head coach Adam Oates. As a fan of the sport, I hope to see Alex the Great banging the glass and jumping up-and-down more frequently in the years to come.

Offensive Potential - A+
Defensive Potential - C

Vintage Ovie
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Purpes17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Stammer
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Stammer

Wouldn't health be taken into consideration as well, and I totally blanked out on Stamkos

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Purpes17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Stammer

Wouldn't health be taken into consideration as well, and I totally blanked out on Stamkos

I just ranked it on who I would want. Malkin is a better player when healthy but yea it's interchangeable. I'd probs have Toews at 5 or 6 tbh but I really love his playing style and intangeables.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Weber
4. Stamkos
3. Giroux
2. Crosby
1. Malkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be

5. Stamkos
4. Weber
3. Giroux
2. Malkin
1. Crosby

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By know it should be apparent to all of you who the remaining 5 players are, so without further ado I present the honorable mentions:

In no particular order;

-Jeff Carter, C
-Adam Henrique, C
-T.J. Oshie, C
-Mike Richards, C
-Brayden Schenn, C
-Paul Stastny, C
-Milan Lucic, LW
-Max Pacioretty, LW
-Dustin Brown, RW
-Ryan Callahan, RW
-Michael Del Zotto, D
-Tobias Enstrom, D
-Cam Fowler, D
-Mike Green, D
-Victor Hedman, D
-Erik Johnson, D
-Dion Phaneuf, D
-Kevin Shattenkirk, D
-Marc Staal, D
-Marc-Andre Fleury, G
-Jaroslav Halak, G
-Semyon Varlamov, G

As you can probably tell, I had a hard time leaving several of these players off the list.

Enjoy.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
By know it should be apparent to all of you who the remaining 5 players are, so without further ado I present the honorable mentions:

In no particular order;

-Jeff Carter, C
-Adam Henrique, C
-T.J. Oshie, C
-Mike Richards, C
-Brayden Schenn, C
-Paul Stastny, C
-Milan Lucic, LW
-Max Pacioretty, LW
-Dustin Brown, RW
-Ryan Callahan, RW
-Michael Del Zotto, D
-Tobias Enstrom, D
-Cam Fowler, D
-Mike Green, D
-Victor Hedman, D
-Erik Johnson, D
-Dion Phaneuf, D
-Kevin Shattenkirk, D
-Marc Staal, D
-Marc-Andre Fleury, G
-Jaroslav Halak, G
-Semyon Varlamov, G

As you can probably tell, I had a hard time leaving several of these players off the list.

Enjoy.

Gotta love the Wings' young studs. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Stammer

I just ranked it on who I would want. Malkin is a better player when healthy but yea it's interchangeable. I'd probs have Toews at 5 or 6 tbh but I really love his playing style and intangeables.

I'm a bit confused with the way you guys are listing them (as in who is on top), but if I understand correctly then I completely disagree with Giroux over Crosby. Injuries are obviously a huge concern, but Crosby is a vastly superior player when healthy. I would strongly consider Stamkos over Giroux as well, but I'm thinking Birds will have it in the order I posted. The youth and goal scoring of Stamkos makes it a toss up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
3. Crosby
2. Giroux
1. Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

1. Crosby
2. Malkin
3. Giroux
4. Stammer

I'm a bit confused with the way you guys are listing them (as in who is on top), but if I understand correctly then I completely disagree with Giroux over Crosby. Injuries are obviously a huge concern, but Crosby is a vastly superior player when healthy. I would strongly consider Stamkos over Giroux as well, but I'm thinking Birds will have it in the order I posted. The youth and goal scoring of Stamkos makes it a toss up.
numbered them for you Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Purpes17 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin

Top 3 in reverse

Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Stammer

Believe it or not I actually prefer Giroux's game to Stamkos' because I have a bias for the facilitator types and Giroux has a better two way game.

I think that will change pretty quickly especially with Stamkos' slightly younger age, better tools, better scoring track record, and size.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, although I've almost boycotted hockey due to my irritation with the league at the moment.

Just thought I'd pass this link along that gives a decent comp to my list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8461958/nhl-top-25-players-25-years-old-jonathan-toews-reigns-john-tavares-vaults-board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: