Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who's returning kicks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two more preseason games to go and Vikings special teams coach Mike Priefer still isn't sure who his full-time punt returner will be. And Priefer might not get the final call; it might depend on who coach Leslie Frazier decides to keep on his final roster.

Jarius Wright, Josh Robinson, Bryan Walters and Marcus Sherels all got a shot at the position Friday against Buffalo. Priefer likes the big-play potential of Robinson and Wright but loves the reliability of Sherels, who might not break many big returns but can be depended on to secure the ball.

Priefer: "We have to solidify who that is going forward, because we're running out of time to make that decision. I have my ideas because of practice tape. The guy I'm most comfortable with would be Marcus, because he's done it before and he's very sure-handed. Josh has got some juice to him, as you've seen on defense as well. Walters has been there before, and Jarius is kind of in the developmental stage right now, to be honest with you."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/166987996.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably prefer Jarius Wright returning punts. I think id rather see Robinson focusing all his attention to being the best CB he can be as a rookie, and once being a CB comes easy for him, consider him on punt returns. If Robinson isnt starting and is the dime CB, I am all for him returning Punts.

I like Wright's skill set for PR, I hope he gets some more opportunities.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Sherels is penciled in as the starting punt returner for the Minnesota Vikings' season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 9, coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday, Aug. 22.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound cornerback from Rochester, Minn., averaged 8.4 yards in 20 punt returns for the Vikings in 2011 but has zero yards on one return in the first two exhibition games this season. Josh Robinson, Stephen Burton and Bryan Walters also will get a chance to return punts, he added, but Sherels is the No. 1 guy so far. Jarius Wright also is in the mix, Frazier said.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21375924/minnesota-vikings-marcus-sherels-will-return-punts-season

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Marcus Sherels is penciled in as the starting punt returner for the Minnesota Vikings' season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 9, coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday, Aug. 22.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound cornerback from Rochester, Minn., averaged 8.4 yards in 20 punt returns for the Vikings in 2011 but has zero yards on one return in the first two exhibition games this season. Josh Robinson, Stephen Burton and Bryan Walters also will get a chance to return punts, he added, but Sherels is the No. 1 guy so far. Jarius Wright also is in the mix, Frazier said.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21375924/minnesota-vikings-marcus-sherels-will-return-punts-season

Sounds like Sherels is a lock to make the roster. Not sure I like it, but if Robinson or Wright dont emerge as PR, what can you do.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like Sherels likely gets the nod at PR due to reliablility/security.

Wright has not done anything yet at WR or PR. Of course injuries played a factor but still.

I mean if deep teams at WR (like GB) have to cut someone who young/talented, you have to consider the option over Wright potentially on the 53, if Wright continues to show minimal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
It does sound like Sherels likely gets the nod at PR due to reliablility/security.

Wright has not done anything yet at WR or PR. Of course injuries played a factor but still.

I mean if deep teams at WR (like GB) have to cut someone who young/talented, you have to consider the option over Wright potentially on the 53, if Wright continues to show minimal.

I think the team could possibly afford to keep 6 WRs with Wright being one of them. It could come down to keeping a guy like Arceneaux vs a potential WR on the Packers, or whomever. Off the top of my head for week 1: Harvin, Jenkins, Aromashodu, Burton, Wright, and either Arceneaux or a free agent. Could work, it would be nice though though if Wright could be developed into a PR through the course of the season. I really dont think Sherels offers much as a CB.

I wouldnt be surprised if Wright is released and attempted to be placed on the PS, but I could see the team carrying an extra receiver just to have a player with Wrights potential.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

I think the team could possibly afford to keep 6 WRs with Wright being one of them. It could come down to keeping a guy like Arceneaux vs a potential WR on the Packers, or whomever. Off the top of my head for week 1: Harvin, Jenkins, Aromashodu, Burton, Wright, and either Arceneaux or a free agent. Could work, it would be nice though though if Wright could be developed into a PR through the course of the season. I really dont think Sherels offers much as a CB.

I wouldnt be surprised if Wright is released and attempted to be placed on the PS, but I could see the team carrying an extra receiver just to have a player with Wrights potential.

I would have rathered Sherels be left off the 53, and have Josh (initially) and Wright (later) do Punt Return duties.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Oh i agree, it just seems like Frazier is content with Sherels on the 53.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Sherels and Robinson out, rookie Jarius Wright will be the first punt returner used Thursday. Cornerback Reggie Jones also will return punts.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/167781265.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
With Sherels and Robinson out, rookie Jarius Wright will be the first punt returner used Thursday. Cornerback Reggie Jones also will return punts.

Interesting that Jones will be returning kicks. If he shows anything as a returner, I prefer Jones over Sherels. Jones has shown more at corner than Sherels.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Interesting that Jones will be returning kicks. If he shows anything as a returner, I prefer Jones over Sherels. Jones has shown more at corner than Sherels.

Could be an interesting development. I like Jones at CB much more than Sherels. I almost wanted to put Jones over Sherels on my most recent 53, but i guess until Jones shows some ability as a return man, your going to need those 5th or 6th CBs to return punts and cover punts.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wright is solid, I could see him getting the job. Adds another guy who can contribute in multiple spots.

Sherels feels like an unnatural fit for the 53 man roster because he contributes mainly on ST. If someone can only fit one spot, I'd rather it be on offensive or defensive packages, rather than just special teams.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
If Wright is solid, I could see him getting the job. Adds another guy who can contribute in multiple spots.

Sherels feels like an unnatural fit for the 53 man roster because he contributes mainly on ST. If someone can only fit one spot, I'd rather it be on offensive or defensive packages, rather than just special teams.

I wouldnt even consider Sherels a good special teams player, basically adequate in the sense that you know he wont screw up or drop a punt. So until someone shows they can comfortably field punts consistently, Sherels is probably here to stay.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I wouldnt even consider Sherels a good special teams player, basically adequate in the sense that you know he wont screw up or drop a punt. So until someone shows they can comfortably field punts consistently, Sherels is probably here to stay.

Well, I didn't say he was a good STer, just that it was his main contribution. But you put it better.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Well, I didn't say he was a good STer, just that it was his main contribution. But you put it better.

Right, i was implying though that the players who only play special teams (Farwell, Dean, Frampton) are usually elite at that skill set where they do add a lot of value to the team. Sherels simply isnt in that class. I trust that Sherels will field the punt, but I usually dont expect much more than a 5-10 yard return Not a terrible thing, id probably rather have a player like that than someone who will struggle fielding punts, could fumble, but also has the potential to break a 15-20 yard return. The risk of turning the ball over isnt worth the extra 10-15 yards.

I hope the defense shows up against Houston so Wright will get plenty of chances to field punts, though the game will be indoors in ideal conditions. Probably not the best indicator of his ability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: