Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Season thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdshot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Pre-Season thoughts? Reply with quote

Looking back at the 2012 pre-season, what are your thoughts and expectations for this season and the seasons to come.

I have hight hopes for this season about a 7 out of 10 type of season because we might not get to deep in the playoffs if we get there. I am very happy with all the turnovers we got and showed consistency in all 4 games to show not just luck. Turnovers will go down but teams are going to have to protect the ball even more against us. Pressure was better in the back feild and teams with holes in their o-line are going to have trouble.

Our passing game was left in limbo with no action from Baldwin and little from Rice or the starting TE's. Tate did good but won't be a huge factor in the passing attack but needs attention to open the field. O-line shows good coaching giving the try outs some good holes and time for the qb. Wilson deserves the job but still has to prove he can keep it from Flynn.

If the Hawks stay healthy we could have a 10 win season and could peak into a SB team in the next year or two. Unless injuries become a factor I will be upset with a 8-8 record and out of the playoff race by Mid November or depending on other teams to lose.

GO HAWKS!
imani

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/08/31/by-the-preseason-numbers/

Quote:
The Seahawks didnít just lead the preseason in most points scored (122) and fewest points allowed (44), they tallied 14 more than the second-highest scoring team (the Ravens) and allowed nine fewer than the team that yielded the next-lowest total (the 49ers).

The offense averaged 178.3 rushing yards to lead the NFL, while the defense ranked No. 3 overall (allowing an average of 248 yards), second against the run (78.Cool and fifth against the pass (169.3).

The Seahawks tied for the league lead in the all-important take-away/give-away category at plus-7. Only one team (the Steelers) committed fewer turnovers than the Seahawks (three); only two teams (the Titans and Chargers) forced more turnovers than the Seahawks (10).

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detroit Lions once went 4-0 in the pre-season and then 0-16 in the regular season. Here's a good read for you: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2012/08/study-nfl-preseason-games-havent-mattered-since-1994/1#.UEJXwaDNnpz

My point is - I think the pre-season can make you drink the kool-aid and blur reality. I'm glad Pete seems firm in his choice as a QB and we aren't going to be waffle-ing back and forth even if I would have preferred Matt Flynn. I hope Wilson is the starter barring injury because I think it almost always does a dis-service to a team when there's a QB controversy mid-season. If Russell struggles - stand by him. Re-evaluate how you can win with him, not without him.

I'm glad the defense played well and I think I'd take our starting 11 over 99% of the teams in this league. I'm a little worried about our corner depth but I'm hoping our pass-rush and elite safeties will mitigate that. I still think Bruce Irvin is a one-trick pony who needs to add a lot more dimensions to his game to be an elite pass rusher. If he can bull rush to the edge, he'll create pressure but I think he's a few years away from getting the sack numbers. Biggest highlight of the pre-season was Bobby Wagner for me. He was always around the ball and making tackles. I loved what I saw from him every game. LBs in the 4-3 aren't crucial in most schemes but it sure pays to have a guy like him in the middle of the field.

The O-Line might be the most under-appreciated units in the league. Lots of talent but very few guys who get any recognition. I'd like to have Carp back asap but I don't think the running game will suffer. Finally - I really like what I saw from Braylon Edwards. He looked determined and really gelled with this offense. I hope that continues - having a WR to take pressure off Rice can only do good things for this team.

Those are my pre-season thoughts.
imani

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Detroit Lions once went 4-0 in the pre-season and then 0-16 in the regular season.

That's a nice cliche response, but if you go back and look at the numbers, the manner in which we won these games is far different. And even tho the lions were also 7-9 the previous year, the average age and roster build up was quite different. The lions has NOWHERE NEAR the defense seattle has, on any level

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/08/31/by-the-preseason-numbers/

Quote:
The Seahawks didnít just lead the preseason in most points scored (122) and fewest points allowed (44), they tallied 14 more than the second-highest scoring team (the Ravens) and allowed nine fewer than the team that yielded the next-lowest total (the 49ers).

The offense averaged 178.3 rushing yards to lead the NFL, while the defense ranked No. 3 overall (allowing an average of 248 yards), second against the run (78.8) and fifth against the pass (169.3).

The Seahawks tied for the league lead in the all-important take-away/give-away category at plus-7. Only one team (the Steelers) committed fewer turnovers than the Seahawks (three); only two teams (the Titans and Chargers) forced more turnovers than the Seahawks (10).

I know all the sounds good - but it's still the pre-season. I think having a Top10 defense is realistic but there's no way we lead the league in scoring in the regular season.

http://sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/is-pre-season-in-the-nfl-an-indicator-of-regular-season-performance.aspx

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/801473-nfl-preseason-are-three-key-stats-indicators-of-super-bowl-success
imani

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i agree, i just had a discussion with pie romania a few days ago about that, i think we will be middle of the road at best, and that would honestly be a big step for this team

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Quote:
The Detroit Lions once went 4-0 in the pre-season and then 0-16 in the regular season.

That's a nice cliche response, but if you go back and look at the numbers, the manner in which we won these games is far different. And even tho the lions were also 7-9 the previous year, the average age and roster build up was quite different. The lions has NOWHERE NEAR the defense seattle has, on any level

Did you read the article? It doesn't matter if we win every single pre-season game and scored 1000 more points than our opponents. The pre-season is a dress rehearsal. It's a pratice with another team.

The coaches on the other teams aren't going to gameplan the same or execute the same on game-day. Nobody wants to show their hand early.
The entrenced starters are playing not to get hurt. The only guys that play 100% are the fringe threes and fours. It's better than the Pro Bowl but not close to regular season action.

I'm happy we won the pre-season. But it's just as meaningful as having the best off-season as voted on by the fans on NFL.com
imani

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
imani wrote:
Quote:

Did you read the article? It doesn't matter if we win every single pre-season game and scored 1000 more points than our opponents. The pre-season is a dress rehearsal. It's a pratice with another team.

The coaches on the other teams aren't going to gameplan the same or execute the same on game-day. Nobody wants to show their hand early.
The entrenced starters are playing not to get hurt. The only guys that play 100% are the fringe threes and fours. It's better than the Pro Bowl but not close to regular season action.

I'm happy we won the pre-season. But it's just as meaningful as having the best off-season as voted on by the fans on NFL.com

if you go back and look at the lions number as they compare to ours...that's what i meant by this comment

Quote:
but if you go back and look at the numbers, the manner in which we won these games is far different

hdshot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel better about this 4-0 team than our last 4-0 pre-season team. I believe this year the Hawks coaching staff didn't put any thought in scoreboard or record this pre-season. If not for Wilson putting tons of effort to make the 1st team it could be different in the meaningless record.

Wilson should have a chance to work on some struggels he will face in real games but if shows he can't improve as the games move on causing losses then Flynn should take over. If we are a rebuilding team then yes let the season be for Wilson but our D and running game is looking to good for that. The Hawks will have to make any changes needed to win games.

Irvin looks good then doesn't. He got burned bad by pryor down the sideline but caused a force fumble on special teams. I believe the team likes this kid and has his back on the mistakes he will make as long as he learns. What a D to be on for some on the job training.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: