Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers lose 3rd round pick LB Sean Spence to torn ACL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
If it's just two completely fluke plays, then it is unfortunate for the Steelers.

They were fluke plays that unfortunately happen.

That's a damn shame. Hope they can recover from the injuries.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
LTF wrote:
The Cryptkeeper wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Let me first of all say that this is terrible news. Sean Spence is a player with terrific instincts and a great work ethic. It's really unfortunate that he has the 2012 season taken away from him.

With that said, I feel like Spence was going to bust regardless of the injury. Not saying you're expecting a ton from a 3rd round pick, but I think you do expect a future starter, and I don't think Spence every brought that potential to a football team. He displayed great instinctual football at Miami, but he showed me in college that he was going to be easily washed away at the NFL level and would never really amount to anything. I was surprised he was drafted so high.

Agreed on all counts. I was surprised Pittsburgh picked him since Spence was more of a speed/instinct guy rather than your typical physical Pittsburgh 'backer. But maybe they wanted him because of that reason for coverage.

Either way, an LB who relies so much on his speed and athleticism tearing his knee up like that is brutal because he doesn't have the physicality to compensate if he slows down a couple of steps. Best of luck to him in his recovery, though.

Definitely understand the criticism, as I wasn't a big fan of the pick either, but Spence had been playing quite well this preseason. Was working at both the buck and mack and was flashing the same instincts he showed in college.

I don't understand the criticism, myself. Farrior played the Buck last year with similar, if not, less "stout" measurables and he didn't get "washed away" in the NFL. I'm in no way saying that he WILL succeed in the NFL, but how does one say that he has great instincts and yet will "bust" in the NFL. He's plenty physical. He does lack great athleticism, but a dude that is 5'11" 231 while short, he is stout. He's shown in preseason that he actually does play pretty well in open space, he will just need to learn to shed blocks better. He wasn't going to start this year, as LBs rarely ever do in our D, but he should be able to develop in a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm "droning" at this point, but he was drafted in the round he was projected to go, so not sure why bottom of 3rd Rd is surprising and how someone can be so confident that "he wouldn't really amount to anything" in the NFL.

I'm confident in that assertion because that's the opinion I reached from scouting him rather heavily at the U. Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid as a player. Just a natural football player that has great instincts. It's a shame he wasn't blessed with the body to make it work. Watching Miami games you would consistently see him get washed out by anyone that could get a hand on him. He was really a non-factor if blocked and he reminded me a lot of Michigan State's former MLB Greg Jones who was recently cut from the Giants for the very reasons I stated about Spence.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where that's coming from, I have enough faith in our coaching staff though to either get him conditioned enough to shed blocks, or find a role for him in coverage situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: