Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones Drew ends holdout, returns to team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Can't believe he caved. He had them by the balls.

No, no he didn't.
Yeah, because it's so easy to replace the leagues leading rusher and a guy who has had over 1300 yards the past 3 years. Rolling Eyes Your other guy MIGHT look good, but he is no MJD.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

No, no he didn't.
Yeah, because it's so easy to replace the leagues leading rusher and a guy who has had over 1300 yards the past 3 years. Rolling Eyes Your other guy MIGHT look good, but he is no MJD.

The team didn't care, they were quite satisfied to go forward with what they had rather than give him a new contract. MJD didn't have the team by the anything. They don't care. The team had all the leverage here and MJD had no choice but to report and hope he can salvage the season or run the real risk of never getting one more payday.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mfw096

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
mfw096 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
mfw096 wrote:
Can't wait to see karma get him this year...

haha what the heck did he ever do to you?

I just don't get the hate for this guy, he's a class act as far as I'm concerned.
He's always been one of my favorites. Anytime he has been on NFLN, which is quite often, he's shined with his charisma and personality. Guy comes off as a legit great guy. One hold out isn't going to change that for me. He tried to buck the system and failed. I can't blame him for trying to squeeze more money out of the Jags because he is by FAR their best player at a position that just doesn't hold value over the age of 28. If he plays out his contract and he'll be close to 30. His last chance to hit a big money contract was to hold out and see if the Jags would give it to him. Khan held his ground, can't blame him either, and MJD lost. Definitely no reason to bad mouth him for it.

I don't hate MJD I just can't stand the fact players do this especially after getting all that money up front. Just greedy .

He didn't get money upfront.

I thought his contract paid most of the money upfront? like 22 million or something like that?
mikeyfarley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfw096 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
mfw096 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
mfw096 wrote:

I just don't get the hate for this guy, he's a class act as far as I'm concerned.
He's always been one of my favorites. Anytime he has been on NFLN, which is quite often, he's shined with his charisma and personality. Guy comes off as a legit great guy. One hold out isn't going to change that for me. He tried to buck the system and failed. I can't blame him for trying to squeeze more money out of the Jags because he is by FAR their best player at a position that just doesn't hold value over the age of 28. If he plays out his contract and he'll be close to 30. His last chance to hit a big money contract was to hold out and see if the Jags would give it to him. Khan held his ground, can't blame him either, and MJD lost. Definitely no reason to bad mouth him for it.

I don't hate MJD I just can't stand the fact players do this especially after getting all that money up front. Just greedy .

I thought his contract paid most of the money upfront? like 22 million or something like that?

Why do people make stupid assumptions like this without looking it up, you're on the internet.

MJD got a $9 million signing bonus, the rest of the contract was his base salary that is evenly spread out through the life of the contract.
mikeyfarley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strings wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Quite to the contrary. The team made it clear they were ready to move on without him. Jennings has been looking great and though he is no MJD, he would be a capable starter. He had two years left on his contract that he was well paid before he even really earned it. While having MJD would clearly help the Jags it wouldn't suddenly turn them into a playoff team, that's all on Gabbert. So while I understand his position, he really had no leverage here.

This is completely untrue. His current contract pays less per season than the one Marion Barber got in 08, and at that point both were really good backs in a two back system. MJD got his current contract based on what he already did in the league up to that point. MJD averaged over 1300 yards from scrimmage and 13 TDs for his first 3 seasons.
mfw096

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
mfw096 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
mfw096 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
mfw096 wrote:

Why do people make stupid assumptions like this without looking it up, you're on the internet.

MJD got a $9 million signing bonus, the rest of the contract was his base salary that is evenly spread out through the life of the contract.

I tried doing a google search, but nothing. I heard this on ESPN and thats why I say this.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

No, no he didn't.

When your offense gets better across the board except the RB, it isnt that tough. Jennings wont see the 8 in the box that MJD does. I'm sick of this crap about how the teams should honor the contract. The owners own the team, without they wont get paid. There will always be people willing to step into your spot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players should honor there contract. I can see if there was one year left but 2 years, there was no way team was going to pay him. At best they are a 7 win team. They are in a rebuilding state. Without him they would probably win 3games. . Which means better draft picks.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamax99 wrote:
Players should honor there contract. I can see if there was one year left but 2 years, there was no way team was going to pay him. At best they are a 7 win team. They are in a rebuilding state. Without him they would probably win 3games. . Which means better draft picks.

Should owners honor the contracts of massive draft busts until they expire? You simply cant argue that players should honor contracts, its a two way business. Two years is an extremely short amount of time for a RB in today's NFL, do you think Peterson would be getting a new deal right now if he didnt sign one prior to his injury. That is why MJD needs to look out for himself, he is a torn ACL away from never getting a big money contract at his age. From MJD's perspective, he has too much to lose to try and not get a deal while he stock is still hot. I greatly dislike when teams squat on cheap, short term contracts for RBs in the prime of there career. A 2 year contract is a short term deal, no matter how you slice it. And what will probably happen is he will get the franchise tag, wear out and never get that big contract.

The Jags surely do have to look out for themselves, but I dont see why a player shouldnt have that same right as well.
TedThompson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always on the side of RB's when it comes to contracts.
These guys get fricking murdered out there.

It's very rare to find a RB who can last a full season, 20+ carries a game.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
I'm always on the side of RB's when it comes to contracts.
These guys get fricking murdered out there.

While I do agree 100% you have to look at it from the Front Office side as well... their shelf-life is so short that its hard to put a long term investment into that position. I love MJD and hope he plays for another ten years, but its not smart business ESPECIALLY for a team that is in a rebuilding phase... if they were in a win now, super bowl potential mode than I can see giving in to his demands but they are not!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo

Jones-Drew, Jax did confid settle of $1.2m fines. Am told means much less, but MJD did forfeit some bonus $. Jax will get cap cred in '13

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Quote:
Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo

Jones-Drew, Jax did confid settle of $1.2m fines. Am told means much less, but MJD did forfeit some bonus $. Jax will get cap cred in '13

I thought he wasnt paying anything

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: