Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Minnesota Vikings 1PM E.T.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point here:
Quote:
Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC
People bitching about offensive line depth realize the team was ravaged by injury in the span of like 3-4 weeks right?

Quote:
@AlfieBCC
Even if they had drafted another OL, which they probably should have, they'd still be decimated by injury.

#JDI
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, thanks for a good week of chat between fans.

sorry you had to lose a heartbreaker like that, BELIEVE ME, i know what it feels like.

go get 'em next week!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamBCC
Hey remember when I said earlier that Bryan Anger is the all-time franchise leader in yards/punt average? He's the all-time NFL leader too.

#JDI
jagman777

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have won but I made the statement before this game that I would be happy if we just saw some improvement from Blaine Gabbert I wouldn't be too upset about a loss. Well, losing the way we did was pretty upsetting but I did see some good things from Blaine Gabbert. Regardless of our record this year I believe that we're heading in the right direction and that's the first time I've been able to say that in a long time.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that game was heartbreaking. Sad

A lot of positive signs, but some really disappointing stuff as well.

Good:
-Gabbert!!!
-Robinson showed up.
-Lewis decided to show up to play this year?
-Cecil Shorts with the big clutch catch!
-The offensive gameplan in general was a breath of fresh air. There were some issues, but as a whole, it's just so much better a fit here right now.
-Mincey. Needs to get just that little bit better, but was in and around where he needed to be often today.

Bad:
-Losing Jennings. MJD is no slouch, even if a bit rusty...but Jennings brings a very different dimension to our offense, and he was missed as the game wore on. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and he'll be back next week. The dynamic ability he brings is important to sustaining the development of this offense.
-Leaving points on the field. Settling for FGs. Blocked PAT. Missing wide open Blackmon. Finish was really lacking at times.
-Blackmon being relatively uninvolved. Gotta get the guy in the mix more in the future. Didn't have a bad game, but wasn't a big factor either. He needs to be.
-Gabbert's read on that last play. I didn't mind the playcall at all. Take the deep shot if its there, but check down for the few yards needed if it isn't. Really liked that actually, showed guts that were lacking last year. But Gabbert botched it.

Ugly:
-Offensive line is about as much of a mess as i expected. Just really not good news. Needs a ton of work. Gonna be a long season for Gabbert if they can't stay healthy. Going to need a real overhaul next year if they don't turn things around.
-Guy Whimper gets a special ed shoutout for outstanding consistency in his level of awful.
-The Defense. Ugh. Everything was just lackluster. The number of missed tackles and just the fundamentals stuff. Brutal.
-The linebackers in particular...outside of Poz, this is not a good group, and we can't expect him to carry the others. Looked like the others' struggles took him out of his wheelhouse, had him trying to do too much, dragging down his performance as well.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Allen had a pretty good game^^^

Also, even though our defense wasnt 100% with Smith n Cox out, there was no reason to miss that many tackles

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
MightyRx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Also, even though our defense wasnt 100% with Smith n Cox out, there was no reason to miss that many tackles

Our outside LBs combined for 2 tackles yesterday.
That's unheard of.
If Daryl's not back next week, we're in trouble!

As bad as the defense was, they only gave up 2 big plays.
The 29 yd pass to Rudolph and the 26 yd pass to Aromashadu that led to the field goal.

Last edited by MightyRx on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

That's unheard of.

The 29 yd pass to Rudolph and the 19 yd pass to Aromashadu that led to the field goal.

Tackles arent the whole story though, but you're right we need him back for next week

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
MightyRx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

That's unheard of.

The 29 yd pass to Rudolph and the 19 yd pass to Aromashadu that led to the field goal.

Tackles arent the whole story though, but you're right we need him back for next week

You're right, JC, if these tackles are happening 5 to 10 yds down field.
But the way our defense is set up, the D-line ties up the blockers and allow the Backers to flow to the ball.
A tackle would mean that they're getting stops which would help force longer downs for the opponent's offense to convert.
If they're missing their run fits or tackles, that doesn't bode well for our defense.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you guys are watching. Posluszny is a terrible Middle Linebacker and an even worse subpackpage player. He overpursues and guesses wrong often, he's not physical when confronted with blockers, he can't cover to make up for it either. The guy is just a typical overrated MLB whose around a lot of plays but doesn't make many meaningful ones. He is awful. Daryl Smith when he's healthy is a good player and Russell Allen is a nice backup but the rest of the Linebackers are complete garbage. Seeing Terrence Knighton blow through a double team, make contact with a running back and have his tackle broken(for once) at the last second only for there to be not a soul to finish up the play is indicative of how limited in range and pursuit the Jaguars overpaid group of Linebackers are.

Tyson Alualu is a total bum. The guy falls down on half the plays he's in, doesn't generate much pressure, doesn't bat balls down. The Jaguars have three good Defensive Tackles including Mosley, a guy with more range who doesn't give up on plays, Terrence Knighton a monster who battles through double teams and tackles well for a guy his size, and Smith who has some explosion off the ball and size, and a guy in Mincey who can play inside on passing downs yet they're stuck on this softy scrub.

Seriously if the Jaguars just benched Alualu and didn't use POS as an everydown player they would solve most of their problems on defense after Smith and Cox get healthy.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/10/re-focused-jaguars-vikings-week-1/

Quote:
If youíre going to make things easier for a young quarterback the first thing you need to do is keep him upright, and while the Jaguars offensive line was suffering on Sunday, at least they were solid as a rock at left tackle. Going up against Jared Allen, fresh off a season in which he sacked the passer 24 times, Eugene Monroe (+5.4) was perfect in pass protection and made several big plays in the run game too, springing the Jaguars rushers for additional yardage and giving them the corner by pinning Allen inside.

To pass block 46 times in a game and keep Jared Allen entirely without pressure is an extremely impressive feat. The only occasion Allen got the better of Monroe came early in the game when Allen jumped the snap (albeit barely), which beat the big left tackle off the ball so badly he turned around the wrong way in an attempt to prevent disaster. Monroe has been working his way up the tackle rankings for a few seasons now, could this be the year he becomes one of the best in football?

Quote:
Aaron Ross (-2.4) in particular looked like he didnít know the defense at all, regularly appearing to pause and think about plays in coverage rather than reacting to where he knew he was supposed to be.

That lag in reaction time caused Ross to give up six catches on seven targets for 79 yards to three different Vikings receivers, and he chipped in with a missed tackle on defense as well. Ross wasnít alone in his off-day in coverage as Dawan Landry (-1.2) and Kevin Rutland (-1.6) both allowed every ball thrown their way to be caught.

Quote:
- What does drafting a punter that high get you? An average of 53.5 yards over four punts in this game from Brian Anger (+1.3).

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
I don't know what you guys are watching. Posluszny is a terrible Middle Linebacker and an even worse subpackpage player. He overpursues and guesses wrong often, he's not physical when confronted with blockers, he can't cover to make up for it either. The guy is just a typical overrated MLB whose around a lot of plays but doesn't make many meaningful ones. He is awful. Daryl Smith when he's healthy is a good player and Russell Allen is a nice backup but the rest of the Linebackers are complete garbage. Seeing Terrence Knighton blow through a double team, make contact with a running back and have his tackle broken(for once) at the last second only for there to be not a soul to finish up the play is indicative of how limited in range and pursuit the Jaguars overpaid group of Linebackers are.

Tyson Alualu is a total bum. The guy falls down on half the plays he's in, doesn't generate much pressure, doesn't bat balls down. The Jaguars have three good Defensive Tackles including Mosley, a guy with more range who doesn't give up on plays, Terrence Knighton a monster who battles through double teams and tackles well for a guy his size, and Smith who has some explosion off the ball and size, and a guy in Mincey who can play inside on passing downs yet they're stuck on this softy scrub.

Seriously if the Jaguars just benched Alualu and didn't use POS as an everydown player they would solve most of their problems on defense after Smith gets healthy.

You figured out everything about our defense from one game?

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Almost everything I said could have been accurately said many times no later than last season. It just takes Jaguars management and fans longer to realize. They still haven't figured out Terrence Knighton is the star of the defense, and I don't know if they will ever figure out the proper rotation at the position(which should be Knighton and Mosley starting, Smith spelling them on running downs, and Mincey on passing downs).

The only new lessons learned this season and pre-season are that Mosley and D'Anthony Smith have something to offer.
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Almost everything I said could have been accurately said many times no later than last season. It just takes Jaguars management and fans longer to realize. They still haven't figured out Terrence Knighton is the star of the defense, and I don't know if they will ever figure out the proper rotation at the position(which should be Knighton and Mosley starting, Smith spelling them on running downs, and Mincey on passing downs).

The only new lessons learned this season and pre-season are that Mosley and D'Anthony Smith have something to offer.

So at what point last season could you have said this? When we spent the majority of the season as a top 6 unit in nearly every single defensive category until we put 40+ players on IR?

You do realize that D'Anthony Smith has been on IR for the entirety of the last two seasons, right? It's hard to get him in the rotation when he can't play. But let's fault management for not recognizing he was good enough to be playing. Mosley was a good part of the rotation last year but wasn't overly effective. He took a huge step this offseason.

Alualu is a very good player and was quite disruptive this game despite being a "bum." I didn't realize that bums get 4 tackles and a sack from the DT position.

They've known for a long time that Knighton is an incredible player. The problem is that he never kept his weight under control, so he was never as good as he should have been and disappeared when his weight was up. The offseason eye injury kept him from being worked into the gameplan earlier, but it's pretty evident that he's playing a large role in this team.

This "overpaid group of linebackers" you cited in your post?
Paul Posluszny - $7 million
Russell Allen - $1.325 million
Brandon Marshall - $440,125
Julian Stanford - $390,000
Kyle Bosworth - $469,167

Where's the overpaid group?

Pos has one bad game as a result of trying to make up for the deficiencies at the other two spots, and suddenly he's a terrible Middle Linebacker who is even worse in subpackages. He was fantastic last year and I expect the same from him when Smith gets worked back into the lineup.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I didnt know a heck of a lot about Eugene Monroe going into this game. Perhaps he never has quite established himself, but he had a heck of a game against Jared Allen. Allen usually dominates in front of the home crowd on the fast turf. His number was barely called. If Monroe can stay healthy and keep this up, he has great potential. Though he will probably never be recognized as elite since he will always be stuck competing with Joe Thomas, Jake Long and Michael Roos for recognition in the AFC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 37 of 38

Jump to: