Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Schaub gets 4 year extension; Tim Jamison 2 year ex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning will be paid 18 mil this year. His neck might fall off at some point in the season. Sam Bradford will be paid 15.6 mil this year. He was about the 20th best QB in the league last year. Phil Rivers will be paid 15.3 mil this year. His performance dropped off a cliff last year. Mike Vick will make 13.9 mil this year and more next year. He's played a full season healthy exactly once in his career. Matt Cassel makes 12.5 mil a year. He's average at best. Matt Stafford makes 13 mil a year. He's been healthy a full season once in his college and pro career. Mark Sanchez made 17.25 mil last year for being one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

Fact of the matter is, every big contract that is signed will carry risk. Signing Matt Schaub for market value is a pretty solid signing.

Sig by matthouston91
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Peyton Manning will be paid 18 mil this year. His neck might fall off at some point in the season. Sam Bradford will be paid 15.6 mil this year. He was about the 20th best QB in the league last year. Phil Rivers will be paid 15.3 mil this year. His performance dropped off a cliff last year. Mike Vick will make 13.9 mil this year and more next year. He's played a full season healthy exactly once in his career. Matt Cassel makes 12.5 mil a year. He's average at best. Matt Stafford makes 13 mil a year. He's been healthy a full season once in his college and pro career. Mark Sanchez made 17.25 mil last year for being one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

Fact of the matter is, every big contract that is signed will carry risk. Signing Matt Schaub for market value is a pretty solid signing.

Well said.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been convinced I like the deal. Laughing
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be honest, I could care less what he makes as long as we can retain Barwin, Watt, Cushing and remain competitive with free agents year in and year out.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should lock up Watt for the next 10 years, fn love this dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess there plan is to have matt for a while and groom a young QB i expect us to get our Baby QB either next year or in 2 years
texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's I COULDN'T CARE LESS!!!!!!!!

DreDay80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Ill be honest, I could care less what he makes as long as we can retain Barwin, Watt, Cushing and remain competitive with free agents year in and year out.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna lock up Cushing and Watt. It'd be an all-time dumb decision not to. Watt isn't a concern right now and I think Cushing is gonna have an extension very soon. Barwin on the other hand? I don't think so. He's a good player but definitely expendable. This defense starts and ends with JJ Watt.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Carson Palmer is due $13m in 2013 and $15m in 2014.

Schaub > Palmer

Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt's contract runs for three more years, plus another RFA year, plus two potential franchise years. There's no need to extend him any time soon.

Sig by matthouston91
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Schaub in person on Sunday, I have to say I love the deal. He's a great player to watch.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Guys look at the guaranteed money. It is only a little over $6M. If he gets all of the $62M it's because he's remained healthy and earned. Because there is a fairly significant chance that there is no more in guarantees after the 1st 2 years.

This yearly average would put him around the 5th or 6th highest paid QB in the league with Eli. That sounds about right given when other guys that are put over him signed their contracts.

What I read says 24.75 mil. is guaranteed which would be paid out in the first 2 yrs.. I think it's doubtful Schaub plays all 4 yrs. of this contract.
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norg wrote:
i guess there plan is to have matt for a while and groom a young QB i expect us to get our Baby QB either next year or in 2 years

I think T.J. Yates is that guy. As others have pointed out, this contract does not guarantee Matt as the starting QB for us over the next 4 years. Realistically it's like a 2-year tryout to see if he can stay healthy and take this team to the next level. If he can't, it wouldn't surprise me to see them hand the reins over to Yates at that time. Despite some issues last year, he looked like he could develop into something of value. So if we think it's warranted, I could see us handing him the ball in a couple of years and running with him.

But that said, I'm happy to have Schaub locked up for the next 4 years. Barwin is next, as long as his number is reasonable...
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
norg wrote:

I think T.J. Yates is that guy. As others have pointed out, this contract does not guarantee Matt as the starting QB for us over the next 4 years. Realistically it's like a 2-year tryout to see if he can stay healthy and take this team to the next level. If he can't, it wouldn't surprise me to see them hand the reins over to Yates at that time. Despite some issues last year, he looked like he could develop into something of value. So if we think it's warranted, I could see us handing him the ball in a couple of years and running with him.

But that said, I'm happy to have Schaub locked up for the next 4 years. Barwin is next, as long as his number is reasonable...

Barwin may be gone if he has an elite season again. The team has to be cognizant of the fact that even with locking up Brown, Schaub, and Jamison already, they're looking at free agency for James Casey, Glover Quin, Brice McCain, Antoine Caldwell, and Rashad Butler off the top of my head, as well as the impending contract expiration of Brian Cushing.

Now clearly, Barwin and Cushing take most precedent there, but we won't be working with a lot of wiggle room to engage him.

One thing that might spell the writing on the wall for one player: Tim Jamison's extension might mean we're looking to do something about Antonio Smith's contract. I don't like it, I know Apollo doesn't, but if we're serious about these negotiations, the money is going to have to come from somewhere.
mse326

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Guys look at the guaranteed money. It is only a little over $6M. If he gets all of the $62M it's because he's remained healthy and earned. Because there is a fairly significant chance that there is no more in guarantees after the 1st 2 years.

This yearly average would put him around the 5th or 6th highest paid QB in the league with Eli. That sounds about right given when other guys that are put over him signed their contracts.

What I read says 24.75 mil. is guaranteed which would be paid out in the first 2 yrs.. I think it's doubtful Schaub plays all 4 yrs. of this contract.

I meant per year.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: