Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Art Modell dead at 87

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Art Modell dead at 87 Reply with quote

Former Browns and Ravens owner Art Modell has died at age 87.

We all know the history.

I thought Art and Paul Brown were bitter enemies to the end, but I've read today that they did briefly speak before PB died and buried a few hatches.

Good to hear.

A true NFL pioneer and future Hall of Fame entrant. RIP Art.....

Thoughts.......?
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really celebrating anyone's death, but I would say the only owner I would be more ok with would be MB. He betrayed an entire city and left like a coward in the night.

People can say what they want about the city of Cleveland, their fans supported their team through countless losing seasons. They were selling out games and were only losing money because of his own stupidity and not investing in the Gateway project as the Cav's and Indian's did and got new stadiums.

He chose a cowards way out instead of owning up to his own mistake and I am glad he eventually had to sell the Ravens. For being a "pioneer" of modern day football, he is probably the biggest traitor in all of sports. There is a reason he is not in the Pro Football HOF. You get what you deserve in the end and I hope Browns fan's never forgive him for it.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
I'm not really celebrating anyone's death, but I would say the only owner I would be more ok with would be MB. He betrayed an entire city and left like a coward in the night.

People can say what they want about the city of Cleveland, their fans supported their team through countless losing seasons. They were selling out games and were only losing money because of his own stupidity and not investing in the Gateway project as the Cav's and Indian's did and got new stadiums.

He chose a cowards way out instead of owning up to his own mistake and I am glad he eventually had to sell the Ravens. For being a "pioneer" of modern day football, he is probably the biggest traitor in all of sports. There is a reason he is not in the Pro Football HOF. You get what you deserve in the end and I hope Browns fan's never forgive him for it.

He's not in the HOF because it's a stone's throw from Cleveland and the fans who went would ruin it for everyone else being enshrined.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sure to be a polarizing topic. Let's just make sure we keep it clean.

Personally, not being a Browns fan, i don't have a beef with the guy. But i can understand why some didn't care for him. Whether you like him or not, he had a big part in the history of american football.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
This is sure to be a polarizing topic. Let's just make sure we keep it clean.

Personally, not being a Browns fan, i don't have a beef with the guy. But i can understand why some didn't care for him. Whether you like him or not, he had a big part in the history of american football.

I agree. He had a huge part in American Football and the evolution of it to where it is today. I say give the man a ribbon, but he doesn't belong in the HoF.

He couldn't blame the fans for him losing money, at the end of the day, he realized it was his own terrible business decisions that led to him bleeding money in Cleveland, so instead of trying to make things better for the fans and town, he decided to escape in the middle of the night.

As for the NFL not putting him in because of how close it is to Cleveland? If that were the case, they would never induct a Steeler or any other player Clevelanders hated, as we all know how rancorous Cleveland fans can be... He is not in, because the league saw him for what he is at the end of the day. I am sure he will get in one day, I just don't think it should be anytime soon.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me continue. Many owners diod not like the way he tried to strongarm the city of Clevelan, even though many later copied the strategy. The city, in turn, did not offer the new stadium, even striking the deal with the Indians, who played in the same rotting stadium. Yeah, the cavs and Indians threw money into developing the area around the new places, but it still looked a bit spiteful.

Then owners were miffed that he went from pushing for an expansion team to be placed in Baltimore to bashing the city as a site (Carlina and Jax got them) for what most believed was due to his interest in relocating the Browns there instead.

So no, it's not just the fact that leveland is close to Canton, but that plays a small part too. The day Pete Rose goes into Cooperstown should be a day when only he does. Don't take away from other deserving recognition.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man had a hand in creating 3/4 of the AFC North, the best division in football. Since he's dead, I'll say nothing else.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
The man had a hand in creating 3/4 of the AFC North, the best division in football. Since he's dead, I'll say nothing else.

Agreed.....
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
For being a "pioneer" of modern day football, he is probably the biggest traitor in all of sports. There is a reason he is not in the Pro Football HOF.

Being a 'Pioneer' and a 'traitor' are not mutually exclusive, you can be both.

Sure, he was a traitor to our friends up on the Lake, but there is also no denying he was a also a 'pioneer'.

He led the trend toward bigger and better TV deals, and was also at the vanguard of hiring african-americans in culturally different times.

He'll be voted into the HOF by 2020 IMO

Whether he'll be voted in ahead of Pete Rose is another thread.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:

just for arguments sake, 50%

Bengals for firing P.B. i'll give you
Ravens because he bought an already created and moved them without taking the history of the Browns so they were like a new creation.

The Browns were created before he bought them, and existed after he left so he can't have credit. Unless you want to give him credit for the 'expansion' Browns because he moved the former team but if you do that then you are remembering too much history and you go to the 'old Browns/new Browns' logic in which he would only get credit (if you want to call it that) for having a part in the creation of the current Browns. But he wouldn't get credit for creating the Ravens (old Browns) in that theory, he just relocated that team.

signed,
Just a Browns fan trying to take away as much from Art as possible, even if it's just meaningless 3rd party credit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give him credit for the new Browns because he created an obvious vacuum that a football team should be in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
I give him credit for the new Browns because he created an obvious vacuum that a football team should be in.

I think what he is saying is you cannot give him credit for the Ravens. Because the Browns were around long before Modell came along. So he didn't start the Ravens. He just moved them to another city. But he can't get credit for creating the Ravens and new Browns as he did not create the old Browns. I can see the argument both ways, at the end of the day, he is dead and I don't think anyone from the state of Ohio will miss him anytime soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: