Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Casey Pachall, QB, TCU (Junior)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Casey Pachall, QB, TCU (Junior) Reply with quote

What can you guys tell me about Casey Pachall? He doesn't seem to get mentioned much in this forum other than maybe a couple of times here and there. He strikes me as rather quirky which may be a turn-off to some NFL teams as far as what they look for in a franchise quarterback. In addition, he got caught up in the TCU drug fiasco which involved quite a few TCU football players which led to him admitting to occassional use of marijuana.

Is he a legitimate NFL quarterback prospect? Where does he stack up against the other quarterbacks eligible for the 2013 draft?

Casey Pachall
Position : QB
College : TCU Horned Frogs
Class : Junior
Height : 6'-4"
Weight : 226 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.67 (estimated)

Casey Pachall TCU Horned Frogs Bio

2012 Statistics (through 1 game)
Passing attempts : 9
Passing completions : 9
Completion percentage : 100%
Passing yards : 201
Yards per completion : 22.33
Passing touchdowns : 3
Rushing attempts : 1
Rushing yards : 5

2011 Statistics (13 games)
Passing attempts : 343
Passing completions : 228
Passing completion percentage : 66.5%
Passing yards : 2921
Yards per completion : 12.81
Passing touchdowns : 25
Interceptions : 7
Rushing attempts : 68
Rushing yards : 51
Rushing average : 0.75
Rushing touchdowns : 2
Punts : 1
Punt yardage : 17

Quote:
Overview

Considering the success of Robert Griffin III, Brandon Weeden and Landry Jones (among others) in the Big 12 a season ago it was easy for fans across the country to lose sight of the impressive campaign turned in by Pachall, who broke several of Andy Dalton's single-season records in his first season as TCU's starting quarterback.

While the offense in which he operates is the same spread scheme in which Dalton starred, Pachall (pronounced Paw-hall) couldn't be more different than his predecessor. Whereas the crew-cut, straight-laced Dalton demonstrated his leadership with steadfast determination and poise, the long-haired, heavily tattood Pachall is aggressive and, when necessary, confrontational.

Pachall finished 12th in the country in pass efficiency in 2011, completing a school-record 66.5% of his passes for 2,921 yards -- another TCU record. He thew for 25 touchdowns (against seven interceptions); just two scores less than the 27 Dalton threw in his magical Rose Bowl-winning campaign in 2010. Five of those touchdowns and a gaudy 473 passing yards came in a gutsy performance in which Pachall helped lead TCU to a 36-35 upset victory at Boise State.

Analysis

Scouts like his gun-slinger mentality, as well as the fact that he possesses the size and arm strength to adjust from TCU's quick-hitting offense to the more complicated and vertical concepts used by most NFL teams.

Pachall was able to sneak up on teams a season ago as the Horned Frogs' defense suffered through an uncharacteristically poor season and TCU had to be aggressive on the offensive side of the ball to remain competitive. He'll be challenged against some talented secondaries in the Big 12 this season but with a strong receiver corps around him, Pachall could be poised for the type of big junior campaign that forces NFL scouts to take notice.

--Rob Rang

Casey Pachall NFLDraftscout Overview and Analysis

Quote:
09/08/12 - SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: The admission by QB Casey Pachall that he tried marijuana, a popular subject after a campus drug sting led to three dismissals among TCU players, may do nothing more than leave the junior even more focused to engineer the Horned Frogs against Big 12 defenses. Pachall enjoyed a record-setting season as a first-time starter a year ago and looked sharp throughout fall camp while attempting to build on his 67-percent accuracy as a passer. He has experienced targets returning among WRs Skye Dawson, Josh Boyce and Brandon Carter. WR LaDarius Brown is a redshirt freshman capable of a breakout season. - The Sports Xchange

09/08/12 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: QB Casey Pachall -- The most critical view of TCU as a member of the Big 12 will be shed on Pachall, who set TCU passing records with 2,921 yards and 228 completions last season. Yet those marks are considered almost pedestrian in his new conference. TCU cannot get sidetracked by comparisons, however. Maintaining offensive balance is critical for Pachall to succeed. - The Sports Xchange

08/07/12 - TCU coach Gary Patterson and quarterback Casey Pachall tried to put to rest the news that broke on Friday that Pachall had failed a drug test last February and admitted to police in an interview on Feb. 15 that he had used marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy in the past. Pachall made a statement during TCU's media day on Sunday apologizing for his past. He did not answer any questions. Patterson said that Pachall would not be suspended and spent the majority of his 40-minute Q&A with the media addressing the situation. "I'm not a righteous person," Patterson said. "I don't know if [drug use] makes you right or wrong but the law says it's not. And I also know what it leads to. As a parent, as a coach, as a person in charge of young people, I understand what it leads to. So you have to fix it or at least try to." Why no suspension? Pachall's failed drug test occurred on Feb. 1. The NCAA penalty for first-time offender of a failed drug test - performance-enhancing or street drugs - is one full year of eligibility and a one-year suspension from competition. If a student-athlete fails a school-administered test, however, it is up to the school to decide the penalty. Patterson said that Pachall went through the university drug and alcohol awareness program that is required for first-time offenders. If it is not the school's policy to suspend an athlete, Patterson is not forced to suspend Pachall. Pachall was interviewed on Feb. 15 after police came to his residence looking for roommate and former football player Tanner Brock, who admitted to selling marijuana to an undercover police officer. Brock pleaded guilty to a charge of delivery of marijuana in an amount of more than .25 ounces but less than five pounds on June 7. - C.J. Moore, CBSSports.com

08/05/12 - Should Pachall's drug-use be over, his stock with NFL scouts may not be impacted. Teams are generally willing to overlook some college mistakes should they feel that the player involved has learned from them and won't repeat the actions...especially if said player is talented, which Pachall, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated TCU prospects, certainly appears to be. A more naturally gifted passer than the man he replaced as the starting quarterback for the Horned Frogs -- Andy Dalton -- Pachall shattered school records in his first starting season, completing 66.5% of his passes for 2,921 yards (both records) and throwing for 25 touchdowns against only seven interceptions. TCU will be making the jump to the Big 12 this season. Patterson hasn't announced whether Pachall will be leading them when the team opens play at home against Grambling State on September 8. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

08/05/12 - NFL teams looking are always in search of young quarterbacks to groom. One of the chic picks this season to emerge as a legitimate prospect - TCU junior Casey Pachall - will require plenty of investigating off the field as well as on it after admitting to police he's smoked marijuana, tried cocaine and ecstasy and failed a school-given drug test in February. According to multiple reports, Pachall (pronounced Paw-hall) was interviewed by police as part of a six-month investigation conducted by Fort Worth police that resulted in four TCU players being arrested for marijuana delivery charges. All four - linebacker Tanner Brock, offensive lineman Tyler Horn, cornerback Devin Johnson and defensive tackle D.J. Hendrey - were subsequently kicked off the team. Each pleaded guilty and received multiple years of probation, but could see the charges wiped off their permanent record if they stay out of trouble. Pachall was interviewed because he lived with Brock and was present when police arrested him. Head coach Gary Patterson emailed a statement to the Fort Worth-based newspaper Star-Telegram regarding the news of Pachall's admission. "I have always taken a very strong stand on student-athlete health and welfare. We have policies and educational programs in place to help guide our student-athletes," Patterson said in the statement. "We are committed to helping them make healthy choices and have moved forward. We have had 25 drug tests in the last 18 months, including one by the NCAA at the Rose Bowl. We've had six drug tests since February." - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Casey Pachall NFLDraftscout Player Profile

Casey Pachall illegal drug use admission

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got him in the second/third round range right now; he's got a very good arm, gets good zip behind his tosses, pretty accurate, good size, and is extremely atheltic. He kind of reminds me of a less polished Big Ben, but that could just be me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
I got him in the second/third round range right now; he's got a very good arm, gets good zip behind his tosses, pretty accurate, good size, and is extremely atheltic. He kind of reminds me of a less polished Big Ben, but that could just be me.

Very interesting. I appreciate the feedback. How is his pocket presence? Is he able to slide in the pocket while keeping his eyes down field while making his progressions or does he tend to break down at times and look to run?

Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Very interesting. I appreciate the feedback. How is his pocket presence? Is he able to slide in the pocket while keeping his eyes down field while making his progressions or does he tend to break down at times and look to run?

He's got average to above average pocket presence; his problems are his footwork is shotty most of the time and his mechanics could use a bit of tweaking to really improve his velocity and accuracy. He could really be a legit QB if he improves a few things, like the kid a lot though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
Quote:

He's got average to above average pocket presence; his problems are his footwork is shotty most of the time and his mechanics could use a bit of tweaking to really improve his velocity and accuracy. He could really be a legit QB if he improves a few things, like the kid a lot though.

What is your impression on whether he could declare early or not? The other top junior prospects like Bray and Thomas get alot of publicity, but I am wondering if Bray returns and the only notable junior that declares is Logan Thomas, if Pachall would consider making the leap. Any thoughts or feelings on whether he could stay or declare?

Reality_Check

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Way, waaaaaay too early. Pachall is a late round guy if he's drafted at all. He admitted more than marijuana usage, and was a part of the group that was selling all kinds of drugs. Buddies took the fall for him.

That's not touching on his limited game and the depth of this QB class.

Late round guy at best.
epicMustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to get into the merits of it, but what some people would say is a non-factor in his admitted usage is definitely a factor for me. I've had to watch idiots on the Bucs (mainly Tanard) squander a potentially great career because they can't hold off for a few years while they're in the league.

Other than that, I guess he'd be a decent developmental project. Doubt he'd ever amount to much in the league, though. This is a deep class at QB depending on who declares, so he might go undrafted.

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His biggest draw is his arm strength. I'd put him as a late rounder right now.

iPwn wrote:
I'd rather be ignorant to others' ignorance.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Way, waaaaaay too early. Pachall is a late round guy if he's drafted at all. He admitted more than marijuana usage, and was a part of the group that was selling all kinds of drugs. Buddies took the fall for him.

Late round guy at best.

I actually just thought he was caught smoking it, not selling or anything. I don't know if he's draftable after knowing that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan. 6th round if he's lucky.
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
Reality_Check wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Late round guy at best.

I actually just thought he was caught smoking it, not selling or anything. I don't know if he's draftable after knowing that.

The whole file on his and his roommate Tanner Brock's arrests, etc is available online if you're willing to dig.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Updated 11:19 a.m. ET: TCU coach Gary Patterson has announced that starting quarterback Casey Pachall has been suspended indefinitely.

“Casey Pachall has been suspended indefinitely from competition. My job as a head coach is to win games, educate our kids and help them with their lives,” Patterson said in a statement.

————————–

No. 15 TCU will host Iowa State this Saturday in the Horned Frogs’ second Big 12 game ever. Whether starting quarterback Casey Pachall will be taking snaps against the Cyclones remains to be seen for now.

According to NBC DFW, Pachall was arrested overnight Wednesday near TCU’s campus on a DWI charge. The report states that an officer witnessed a car, operated by Pachall, failing to stop at a stop sign and hitting a curb. After being pulled over, Pachall reportedly registered a blood alcohol concentration level greater than .15. An officer confirmed to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that Pachall was over the legal limit. Drivers can be charged with a DWI if their BAC is over .08.

Pachall was released from jail later Thursday afternoon.

“We are aware of the situation. We’re trying to gather facts and information to determine what our next steps will be,” TCU spokesperson Lisa Albert told NBC DFW.

Pachall has had substance abuse issues before. In a report from TCU360 two months ago, Pachall admitted to police that he failed a university-administered drug test because of marijuana use. He also told police he previously used cocaine. However, Pachall did not miss any games as a result.

Redshirt freshman Trevone Boykin is the team’s backup. Boykin has completed 9-of-10 passes this season for 74 yards and a touchdown. Through four games, Pachall has thrown for nearly 1,000 yards, 10 touchdowns and just one interception.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/report-tcu-starting-qb-casey-pachall-arrested-for-dwi/related/

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot. Just a plain idiot.
Nobody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you he was just arrested and suspended.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st-2nd round talent, UDFA brain.

Anybody's guess where he gets picked, but for players like that, things rarely end well.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: