Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ATL RB Michael Turner charged with DUI following MNF game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dante9876

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
#Falcons RB Michael Turner will not be suspended due to his DUI arrest but he could be fined by the league to a fine worth up to $50,000.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/248431255379664896

Wait...What?

Totally bogus.

So the NFL is more focused on bounty scandals, and PEDs, and less focused on DUIs, and killing people behind the wheel?

It got something to do with first offense, which it was in Turner's case.

Isn't the first offense for a positive PED test an automatic 4 game suspension?

I get people make mistakes, and the players are human like all of us, but I think their priorities in terms of suspensions are laughable.

PED is cheating the game. DUI is more of a legal matter, and making the game look bad. In any sport PED use is much more trouble than a Legal matter off the field, diamond, ice or floor

Last edited by dante9876 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
#Falcons RB Michael Turner will not be suspended due to his DUI arrest but he could be fined by the league to a fine worth up to $50,000.

Wait...What?

Totally bogus.

So the NFL is more focused on bounty scandals, and PEDs, and less focused on DUIs, and killing people behind the wheel?

I get people make mistakes, and the players are human like all of us, but I think their priorities in terms of suspensions are laughable.

PEDs have a direct impact on the game and therefore are a harsher punishment than a DUI.

At your job, what would be a harsher punishment from your employer? A DUI, or cheating at your job? The NFL is an employer of Turner. As a first time offender, they are letting the law handle their end for the punishment of the crime, and the NFL is handling their end as far as how it projects on the league. A first time DUI offender has a much smaller impact on the image and integrity of the league than a player found to be using a banned substance.

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

Wait...What?

Totally bogus.

PEDs have a direct impact on the game and therefore are a harsher punishment than a DUI.

At your job, what would be a harsher punishment from your employer? A DUI, or cheating at your job? The NFL is an employer of Turner. As a first time offender, they are letting the law handle their end for the punishment of the crime, and the NFL is handling their end as far as how it projects on the league. A first time DUI offender has a much smaller impact on the image and integrity of the league than a player found to be using a banned substance.

So cheating looks worse as opposed to potentially killing someone? In the leagues view that is true I'm sure. Which was my issue from the start. They value internal issues, far greater, than off the field legal issues. Their priorities are off base.

As far as cheating at a job. that is apples to oranges. If you cheat in a major sport the records are altered, and the integrity of the game is tarnished. If you cheat in a sport their are fines and suspensions, but never any serious legal ramifications. If you alter numbers as an accountant for a company, that is subject to tax fraud. If you you are a butcher and cut expired meat to sell, the FDA gets involved. If you work for a chemical company, as I do, and a drum of acid, or a waste container isn't disposed of properly the EPA/OSHA gets involved. If a players caught using anything, it is a PR issue, and maybe a few less jerseys sell. Fact is people are still going to watch major sports despite potential cheating. Maybe a little more emphasis should be placed on off field issues that can do potential harm.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
coors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turner didn't even get to Magic City until 3am.. why are you going SOOO late? Arthur Blank has paid you millions of dollars over your career here in Atlanta, you couldn't afford a cab or limo? Hell, you couldn't spring some cash to give to somebody to drive your R8 home? I would have driven you home for free, driving that car would have been worth it. Mike, you are smarter than that. Come on, man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That game ended at what, 11:30? Consider the time it took to change, get freshened up, do interviews, then leave.

That means he literally went straight to the bar, get wasted, and drive home.

It's about time Goodell step up and get extreme with these DUI's. Suspend players on the spot, fine them immensely; some sort of drastic measure.

This DUI issue is completely out of hand in the NFL. Immense action needs to be taken right away.
coors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
That game ended at what, 11:30? Consider the time it took to change, get freshened up, do interviews, then leave.

That means he literally went straight to the bar, get wasted, and drive home.

It's about time Goodell step up and get extreme with these DUI's. Suspend players on the spot, fine them immensely; some sort of drastic measure.

This DUI issue is completely out of hand in the NFL. Immense action needs to be taken right away.

it ended closer to 12:30 than it did 11:30. and, if you read my post that was right before yours, Atlanta news outlets are saying that he didn't make it to Magic City till a little after 3:00am.. and for those who aren't familiar with the city of Atlanta.. Magic city is a "fully nude Adult Entertainment club." Police reports are saying that he was booked into the Gwinnett County jail just shortly after 5am, after being pulled over in Suwanee. Suwanee is a northern suburb of Atlanta, which is roughly a 20-30 minute drive from Atlanta. So.. with all of the time information I have gathered.. it seems like Mike couldn't have even been at the strip club more than an hour, tops (which is sad). If we wasn't booked until 5am.. that means he had been pulled over about 30 or so ish minutes before that. So i'll say he got pulled over around 4:30.. take away the 30 minutes that it would have taken him to drive from Atlanta to Suwanee, where he was pulled over, its looking that he left Magic City at around 4am-ish. We know for certain that he didn't even make it inside the "club" until 3am.. puts him being at the club for roughly an hour.

As a Falcon fan through and through, as well as a big time supporter of Mike Turner, it really upsets me that he got himself into this kind of trouble for literally no reason. All of this.. after spending maybe an hour at a "lavish" strip club after a big Monday Night Football game.. just shows a total lack of good judgement.. shear stupidity.. as well as other things that I probably shouldn't say here. Of ALL people on the entire roster to have a big fowl up like this.. a guy who has drastically declined over the past 2 seasons or so, whose workload and significance in our offense has become minimal at best.. the guy whose position is up for grabs the most is the guy that shows total disregard for himself, his team.. everyone. Congrats, Mike, on being the first Falcon in like 2 years or so to have a run-in with the law.

Nobody is perfect.. I absolutely am one of the people that believes in second chances when someone makes a mistake.. and I'll give Mike credit, this is his first incident of any kind whatsoever as a Falcon, and my guess is that he never had any problems when he was in San Diego, or at Northern Illinois University or Arthur Blank and the Falcons never would have brought him into town in the first place after our whole Mike Vick fiasco.. but it still makes me mad that he would jeopardize himself, other innocent people on the roads, and his teammates as well as the city of Atlanta. Mike seemed sincere in his news conference apology, took the blame for his stupidity which he clearly needed to.. but an apology doesn't fix the mistake he made.

Come on Mike, you are better than that. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

So cheating looks worse as opposed to potentially killing someone? In the leagues view that is true I'm sure. Which was my issue from the start. They value internal issues, far greater, than off the field legal issues. Their priorities are off base.

As far as cheating at a job. that is apples to oranges. If you cheat in a major sport the records are altered, and the integrity of the game is tarnished. If you cheat in a sport their are fines and suspensions, but never any serious legal ramifications. If you alter numbers as an accountant for a company, that is subject to tax fraud. If you you are a butcher and cut expired meat to sell, the FDA gets involved. If you work for a chemical company, as I do, and a drum of acid, or a waste container isn't disposed of properly the EPA/OSHA gets involved. If a players caught using anything, it is a PR issue, and maybe a few less jerseys sell. Fact is people are still going to watch major sports despite potential cheating. Maybe a little more emphasis should be placed on off field issues that can do potential harm.

Why not let the justice system handle it?
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

Why not let the justice system handle it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time that happened, an NFL player "basically" got off on killing someone in a DUI incident. He was only suspended from the NFL for one season.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News threads are here to talk about the impact this causes on the team and player affected.

We don't need to get into specifics of where he was and what he was doing.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
imani

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

Wait...What?

Totally bogus.

Whereas Lynch is running around with 2 DUIs, a gun charge, and hit a pedestrian while intoxicated

lynch has one dui.....

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: