Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contracts expiring in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Carlson, what an awful signing. I mean, 25MM for a 2nd TE, with an injury history, that can't block (and neither can your first TE)....I would expect he might be gone also.

I expect Jenkins to be gone. I think Winfield could be gone. If they don't go defense in round 1, there is an Alabama OG I'd take in round 1, that would help open massive holes for AP and Harvin.....meaning Johnson could be gone, though I bet they try to keep him as a rotational guy (or maybe replace Loadholt).

Johnson could be a strong candidate to see a restructured contract if his starting job is taken in 2013, kind of like Michael Jenkins this past training camp. I think Johnson has great versatility as a backup OT and OG, but you probably dont want him starting at either, ideally. He is basically the best MN has right now, but he is much less of a liability than he was last year.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Carlson, what an awful signing. I mean, 25MM for a 2nd TE, with an injury history, that can't block (and neither can your first TE)....I would expect he might be gone also.

I expect Jenkins to be gone. I think Winfield could be gone. If they don't go defense in round 1, there is an Alabama OG I'd take in round 1, that would help open massive holes for AP and Harvin.....meaning Johnson could be gone, though I bet they try to keep him as a rotational guy (or maybe replace Loadholt).

Carlson isn't an awful signing. He's off to an awful start, but we've only played 2 games so far.

I'm holding my judgement on him and Jerome Simpson whether we will retain them or not.

Otherwise, I'd like to see us resign Erin Henderson, Everson Griffen, Jared Allen, Geoff Schwartz (looks like a nice backup) and maybe Jerome Felton if he plays well this year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a big part of Carlson not playing as much is how well Felton has been playing. I'm not even sure the coaches expected it.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before, Carlson's deal is basically a 2y/$11m deal, as that's the only guaruanteed part. Still a good chunk of money, but nothing that will put us in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He cannot block, and this is a running team. He cost 5 million per year, for a second tight end on a roster that went 3 and 13. Had they signed a legit corner with that plus the money they are under the cap, that would be better. I cannot see how signing an injured older second tight end is a good signing.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
He cannot block, and this is a running team. He cost 5 million per year, for a second tight end on a roster that went 3 and 13. Had they signed a legit corner with that plus the money they are under the cap, that would be better. I cannot see how signing an injured older second tight end is a good signing.

My guess is that if Carlson isnt implemented into the offense this year, he will more than likely be cut. I think Ellison is more than capable as a #2 TE and he is probably a stronger blocker.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:

You're creating a false dichotomy. What legit corner was going to come to Minnesota? Besides, the Vikings have around $10m in cap space, so it was not like we either signed Carlson, or some corner.

He wasn't injured when we signed him, and the injury he suffered in training camp was in a different body part alltogether (shoulder vs. knee). As for the position, we only had one solid guy on the roster (Rudolph), on a team that wants to run multiple TE sets.

So you take a gamble. It's not like I'm paying for it, and we had plenty of cap to do it. If it doesn't work out, you cut him after 2 seasons. I can live with that for a shot at a starting TE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, is Jasper Brinkley a restricted free agent or unrestricted free agent?

I believe that the new CBA states a player has to have four accrued seasons for unrestricted free agency and and accrued season is six games.

Brinkley played has two accrued seasons (2009 and 2010), and is one more game away from another accrued season (2012). So that should set him up to be a restricted free agent. That will surely help MN as they try and get new deals for Harvin, Loadholt, Simpson and Henderson.

But then, what does that make Jerome Simpson?

He only has one accrued season (2011) and he signed with the Vikes last year.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is going to have quite a few guys to resign. After the first 5 games and the way most of those players are playing, I can't think of many that I would be willing to let walk.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
This team is going to have quite a few guys to resign. After the first 5 games and the way most of those players are playing, I can't think of many that I would be willing to let walk.

If Brinkley truly is a RFA, I think that will make it easier to keep both Henderson and Brinkley. However, if both players are unrestricted free agents, I think the Vikings may have to choose between Brinkley and Henderson. I cant see the team shelling out big bucks to keep both LBs, given how much Greenway is making. Brinkley is probably the more ideal player to keep, I think he has simply been a better player and the WOLB spot seems fairly easy to replace in the 4-3 defense.

Phil Loadholt is a must, he has played well. I think he deserves a long-term contract.

Kevin Williams has been a strong run defender, i am still not convinced that he would willingly resign here, but who knows, if the Vikes continue to have a great year and maybe even push for a playoff spot, the Vikes outlook wont be as dim.

Jerome Simpson is an interesting case. If he plays well, Simpson needs a long-term contract. But he hasnt shown much, so the jury is still out on him.

My guess would be that the Vikes should resign Simpson, Loadholt, Brinkley (if he is a UFA) and Williams to long-term contracts. Let the market determine where Erin Henderson stands.

Percy Harvin, Jared Allen and Everson Griffen also need new contracts.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:

If Brinkley truly is a RFA, I think that will make it easier to keep both Henderson and Brinkley. However, if both players are unrestricted free agents, I think the Vikings may have to choose between Brinkley and Henderson. I cant see the team shelling out big bucks to keep both LBs, given how much Greenway is making. Brinkley is probably the more ideal player to keep, I think he has simply been a better player and the WOLB spot seems fairly easy to replace in the 4-3 defense.

Phil Loadholt is a must, he has played well. I think he deserves a long-term contract.

Kevin Williams has been a strong run defender, i am still not convinced that he would willingly resign here, but who knows, if the Vikes continue to have a great year and maybe even push for a playoff spot, the Vikes outlook wont be as dim.

Jerome Simpson is an interesting case. If he plays well, Simpson needs a long-term contract. But he hasnt shown much, so the jury is still out on him.

My guess would be that the Vikes should resign Simpson, Loadholt, Brinkley (if he is a UFA) and Williams to long-term contracts. Let the market determine where Erin Henderson stands.

Percy Harvin, Jared Allen and Everson Griffen also need new contracts.

I would throw Felton in as a must resign. He has been a huge boost to the running game. Very Tony Richardson like.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felton too, I agree, though I am not sure if he will warrant a long-term contract. I could see him getting a one or two year deal.

There are a number of other guys that are worth bringing back on short term deals as backups like Marvin Mitchell, AJ Jefferson (RFA), Joe Berger, and maybe Devin Aromasohu.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To shed some light on the RFA/UFA situation, per spotrac.com (google search turned it up):

UFA:

FB Jerome Felton
WR Devin Aromashodu
WR Jerome Simpson
C Joe Berger
RG Geoff Schwartz
RT Phillip Loadholt
UT Kevin Williams
MLB Jasper Brinkley
WLB Erin Henderson
WLB Marvin Mitchell
SS Jamarca Sanford

RFA:

RB Matt Asiata
MLB Tyrone McKenzie
CB A.J. Jefferson
CB/PR Marcus Sherels
FS Andrew Sendejo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about Jamarca. The way he has played thus far, he is a top tier backup at the least. Not to mention a great special teams leader.

It will be interesting to see how Minnesota handles all these contracts and the guys who need extensions.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How reliable is spotrac though?

I pulled up the new CBA, dated 2011, and it said a player with less than 4 years accrued experience is a RFA and it takes 6 games for one accrued season to exist. Unless there is some clause I am missing, there must be since I dont know what explains Simpson being a UFA last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: