Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CB Drayton Florence placed on IR - Designated to return
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I think it also has an indirect purpose of exposing teams who try to use IR as a means of stashing young players with minor injuries. Young player tweaks his hamstring. Says he's fine. Team doesn't want to risk losing him, but doesn't think he'll contribute as a rookie, so they place him on season-ending IR, with no one currently on IR-to-return status. League questions severity of injury in relation to IR designation.

Can't they still do that if they want? It's just nice that they don't have to.

Rumor is that is what NE did with Demps. Not 100% sure how accurate the rumor is though.

That's absolutely what they did, no question in my mind. He had an MRI that revealed he's basically fine. The league can apparently investigate and give him an independent physical, but they almost never do that. It's just the Patriots being the Patriots.

It's not like we didn't do the same thing with Drew Stanton when he was a rookie, though. He had a knee scope in the middle of preseason and for some reason it landed him on IR so we could keep both JT O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky.

That highlights the difference here. Before, the Pats could put him on IR and say "What other option did we have?". They could claim he wasn't completely healthy, and they weren't sure if he would be, so their only option was IR.

That isn't the case now.

If the league gives the player a physical, and he proves to be healthy, they can question why the team chose not to give him the shorter IR option.

Now that they have a choice to make, stashing a player on IR from a minor injury now looks even more blatant, and they no longer have the same IR excuse.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I think it also has an indirect purpose of exposing teams who try to use IR as a means of stashing young players with minor injuries. Young player tweaks his hamstring. Says he's fine. Team doesn't want to risk losing him, but doesn't think he'll contribute as a rookie, so they place him on season-ending IR, with no one currently on IR-to-return status. League questions severity of injury in relation to IR designation.

Can't they still do that if they want? It's just nice that they don't have to.

Rumor is that is what NE did with Demps. Not 100% sure how accurate the rumor is though.

That's absolutely what they did, no question in my mind. He had an MRI that revealed he's basically fine. The league can apparently investigate and give him an independent physical, but they almost never do that. It's just the Patriots being the Patriots.

It's not like we didn't do the same thing with Drew Stanton when he was a rookie, though. He had a knee scope in the middle of preseason and for some reason it landed him on IR so we could keep both JT O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky.

That highlights the difference here. Before, the Pats could put him on IR and say "What other option did we have?". They could claim he wasn't completely healthy, and they weren't sure if he would be, so their only option was IR.

That isn't the case now.

If the league gives the player a physical, and he proves to be healthy, they can question why the team chose not to give him the shorter IR option.

Now that they have a choice to make, stashing a player on IR from a minor injury now looks even more blatant, and they no longer have the same IR excuse.

But with only being able to designate one player per year to return, they can easily say they were saving it for a player more important to their success. Which is why it would make more sense to have more options.

I still don't see it having an effect either way. Even in baseball they put players on long term IR to open up roster spots even if the player could come back.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
But with only being able to designate one player per year to return, they can easily say they were saving it for a player more important to their success.

Doesn't that kind of prove the point though? By saying "Yeah, he could have gotten the short IR, but we wanted to save it for someone more important", aren't they admitting that they're using it the way the league doesn't want them to?

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: CB Drayton Florence placed on IR - Designated to return Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
EnglishLion20 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
SadLionFan00 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Houston and Bentley coming back . . . good. Florence going on that new IR designation obviously doesn't help matters, but getting our two starters back is huge.

Shourely, you're forgetting someone.

I think it'd be Best if we didn't talk too much about our running backs.

Is it okay if we Joique about them?

Your Joiques are not funny

I don't think any of us are very good joke Smiths. Sad

That sent some alarm Bells ringing...

I'm Keiland over with laughter right now.

Really? I'm finding myself Green with nausea.

If I hear another pun I Mikel someone!

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: