Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Rookie Contributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Early Rookie Contributions Reply with quote

So I was reading over George RR Martin's blog as I often do (for those who don't know, hes the author behind Game of Thrones and, unfortunately, a serious jet fan) and was very much amused to read this little tidbit this morning: "And our vaunted Jets D is much MUCH less impressive without Darrell Revis. Where's the pass rush? Our big round one draft choice DE [Coples] so far is doing an amazing impersonation of Vernon Gholston." Now while its early, a jet fan comparing their newest first round pick to the sackless wonder fills my heard with joy. The Jets have failed find real impact players in the draft under Ryan, all their best players were free agents or from the Mangini era.

Anyways its too early to be analyzing rookies so this thread is actually just a dig at the boys in puke green since its JETS WEEK. The Dolphins are getting a serious contribution out of their first two picks and Lamar Miller has made the most of his limited snaps due to Bush being..well pretty awesome. Anyways the Dolphins are getting some seriously good play so far from guys drafted recently. Odrick and Misi had a big hand in how dominant our run game has been. Pouncey has been a stud. Martin and Tannehill managed to start as rookies and showed a lot by bouncing back from a terrible week one and having a very solid week 2.

Miami is built to keep improving, we're not going to get to the top this year, but we're going to get closer to it while our good friends and green built themselves to win now..... three years ago. Now they've had three poor drafts in a row and 2012 doesn't look so hot either. Their running game has gone from mighty to one of the league's worst. They cling to a franchise quarterback in Sanchez who is comparable to all the worst guys we have had in the post Marino era. The defense hasn't done anything to get better since they first made the playoffs in 2009, Revis and friends have just gotten older. Bart Scott and David Harris are already drifting towards decline and Leonard is gone and they've had to pick through our leavings at safety to get a very very old Yeremiah Bell. Oh and Darrelle Revis is hurt, can't complain there.

If things keep going this way, the Jets are poised to return to the Jets of the '90s, and theres nothing better than the Jets sucking. I hope Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez cling to their jobs for another 5 years because they will run the team so far into the cellar it will be decades before they get out. Laughing

FF Member #67
Russ57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brother. I'll drink to that and said much the same in another recent thread. We have less illusions about the sorry state of our team.

Much like when we lucked out in the first year with penny and then brady being hurt, the jets have had some lucky early sucess that they want to think is a true indicator of the future. It is starting to dawn on some but not all.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see how our running game does against their defense. If it weren't for the turnovers, Bush would have gotten more yards against the Texans. Our running game might be for real if it can do well this week.

I'd like to see us generate a pass rush of our own. It bothers me greatly that Wake has no help getting to the QB.

There was a world of difference between week 1 Hartline and week 2 Hartline. Hopefully he's still got a little more improvement coming.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read, and let's not forget kheston rhandall is playing very well in McDaniel spot. The jets are also going to be well over the cap next off season and we will be near the top in money to spend.. I think the jets are still a better team at the moment but I like the direction we are headed
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And the tandem of Greene & Tomlinson has become just Greene.

...And they have Tony Sparano as their OC now--we know how that story ends.

...And they're going to have to deal with the Tebow thing.

It blows my mind that Elway gets a free pass on completely lying about Tebow. The second he got the chance, Tebow was gone, lol!
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:

It blows my mind that Elway gets a free pass on completely lying about Tebow. The second he got the chance, Tebow was gone, lol!

Well coaches/management ALWAYS are expected to stand behind players when they're on the roster. Its just a thing.

FF Member #67
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
phinmun wrote:

Well coaches/management ALWAYS are expected to stand behind players when they're on the roster. Its just a thing.

Yeah, the fact he's John Elway and that they now have Peyton doesn't mean anything. Laughing
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Martin look against the Raiders? I haven't gotten to watch one game yet.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Deets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
How did Martin look against the Raiders? I haven't gotten to watch one game yet.

Much better than he did in the opener. Also I don't think he had any penalties. Long had some troubles against Oakland though I would still say the line as a whole seemed to get better as the game went a long. Hopefully the trend of improvement continues this week.

FF Member #67
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin has been showing steady improvement throughout the preseason and now into the regular season. That's all anyone can hope for in a rookie. I think that it's also worth pointing out John Jerry has been doing a very good job as well. He's still overweight but overall he seems to be flourishing with better coaching.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one thing I do not understand. Why does Odrick play the RDE position when the larger defensive end typically play over the larger tackle (RT)? He does not get much pressure because he is operating against the better pass protector. He and Wake should switch sides. At least experiment with it.
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Here is the one thing I do not understand. Why does Odrick play the RDE position when the larger defensive end typically play over the larger tackle (RT)? He does not get much pressure because he is operating against the better pass protector. He and Wake should switch sides. At least experiment with it.

Interesting point, yeah. I wonder if Wake doesn't want to switch? He's never been at RDE while with the Dolphins has he? I've never seen him line up there, ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: