Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gerald McCoy: Becoming a Leader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Gerald McCoy: Becoming a Leader Reply with quote

Talent was never the issue with McCoy. It was staying on the field. Now that he is healthy he is playing like an All-Pro DT. Our run defense is unbelievable and we are generating a consistent pass-rush (outside of the Giants game).

After the Giants game, coach Sheridan came under heavy fire because of our defensive performance. Eli went off for a career day and we didn't force a single sack all game. Warren Sapp called Gerald McCoy after the game to tell him that he needs to talk to Sheridan about the defense. Stop being cute up front. Stop the stunting and twisting, let the DLine pin their ears back and go.

Well it looks like McCoy listened.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=74343#comments

Quote:
“I represented the D-line and went up to coach and said, ‘Give us an opportunity to go straight at them instead of going sideways on all these stunts,” McCoy said. “I said, ‘If it don’t work, it don’t work and we’ll go back to whatever.’ We took advantage” against Dallas.

It showed. That was the best that our defense has looked all year and McCoy had a career day. McCoy is enjoying a breakout season and he has become the leader of the defense. It's great to see.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about him. I always thought that even if 100% healthy, he was too soft at the point of attack to be effective. During these 3 games, he seems to have been in the backfield more often than not. The second the ball is snapped he just explodes off the line. I could not be more impressed with him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Huge respect for McCoy

I have always belived in him as a player, but honestly didnt know he had balls to do this especially after just one game.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this. I love that McCoy was able to stand up and talk to the coaches like this and I love that the coaches listened.

...and it worked!

We're still trying to figure things out on both sides of the ball. The offense has so far to go, but defensively, we're slowly figuring it out.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's beasting right now but he needs to stay injury free.
ramblinbuc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we owe a thank you to Warren Sapp for this. A great mentor to our young O-line, I hope he keeps in McCoy's ear.... Wink

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved McCoy. If we were running a 43, he is exactly who I would want to start my DL.

I got a lot of hell for predicting that McCoy / Suh will turn out to be Ware / Merriman of that draft. I expect a lot of exceptional things from him.

You guys better win next week.

<3,

Outlaw

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
ravishingone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe GMC being nominated captain this year has really helped him be more vocal. He now understands this is his team to lead not follow. He has always been a hard worker, who as others have mentioned has to stay healthy.

In his third year, he is starting to perfect his craft with technique and film study coupled with his God given physical talent which is starting to equal dominating performances.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big props to McCoy.

We all sensed that he had this kind of talent but never really saw it fully due to his injuries. Who would of thought that our O would be the problem and our D would be this dominant this year. I stand by the word dominant even after the Giants game cuz I attribute that to BS by Sheridan. When these guys go out and ball like they should they are damn good. Hope someone picks up the slack of Clayborn's absence cuz it will be needed. I wonder, does the team give DaQuan Bowers a go late in the year if we are making a playoff run and he seems to check out ok?

Smack ^
#FireLovie
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he stays healthy this year and for many seasons after

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing
BBando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us knew this kid had All-Pro talent. It was him staying on the field that was the problem. We saw last year before he got injured how good our defense was. Then after it was horrendous.

garbage
indifference

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBando wrote:
A lot of us knew this kid had All-Pro talent. It was him staying on the field that was the problem. We saw last year before he got injured how good our defense was. Then after it was horrendous.
Pretty much this. I'll just add McCoy was good last year but he was never this consistent. Every series it seems like the guy is in the backfield causing havoc. He was never this dominant like that at any stage of his career till now. We desperately needed him to become a center piece for this defense, its been too long. Barron, Foster, David, Clayborn, Bowers and Bennett will all be very fun to watch develop for years to come.

Would like to see us draft a CB early or DE next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: