Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Patriots setting up Wes Welker trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me. If they really think Edelman has closed the gap talent-wise (As some have speculated), it might make sense to trade Welker now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pick for him.

I doubt they could get a 2nd round pick for him if they trade him week 8. A team would be giving up a prime pick to add 4M+ to their salary cap (pro-rated share of his salary) for 8-9 games + the playoffs. I just don't think that's likely.

If they do trade him, I suspect they will either do it soon to maximize their return or everyone will be disappointed with the return they get on a mid-season deal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand the idea of trading him but I didn't understand trading Moss before he was traded either. Unless Welker has asked for a trade, then I still really don't see why the Patriots would move Welker. His value to us is greater than a 3rd rounder (which has to be the max we'd get for him)

The only possible reason I see is what everyone else has already said: they like Edelman better with the offense changing.

ELRammy
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?

FF Member #67
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:

He is either a restricted FA or a FA.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:

Not very. It's not that Edelman is taking Welker's role, it's that they're taking the role Welker has filled since 07 out of the offense.

ELRammy
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deets wrote:

He's a FA.
Tom Brady Tribute
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deets wrote:

He's a FA.

Sad

FF Member #67
terbo559

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
I don't really understand the idea of trading him but I didn't understand trading Moss before he was traded either. Unless Welker has asked for a trade, then I still really don't see why the Patriots would move Welker. His value to us is greater than a 3rd rounder (which has to be the max we'd get for him)

The only possible reason I see is what everyone else has already said: they like Edelman better with the offense changing.

Agree. I think a third round is the highest we can get for Welker, and his value to the team is much more than a third round.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TomRalph"]With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pi]ck for him.[/quotehat team would want Weller in the middle of the season?
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offense seems fixated on two TE sets, most likely because of the poor showing by the offensive line. Welker's game does not translate to an outside game, so is lone role is diminished to non-existent. At least, from what the Patriots are trying to do to compensate for this OL.

There are two ways to go about this compensating for the OL IMO with the loss of Aaron.

1. Convert more to the 3 WR -4 WR sets a la 2007 to allow Brady the very quick throws. The quicker the ball is out of Tom's hands the better the OL looks and Welker would be a large part of that.

2. Stick to the two TE set to help protection and establish a run game with Ridley. The signing of Winslow might suggest that this is the route the Patriots want to go, especially when you consider the major amount of TE's the Patriots brought in during the offseason. This is the most important position to the offense and it needs to be deep.

So either Welker is borderline useless or he is extremely important. We will see tonight I suppose.

Sigs-Taking Requests
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
This offense seems fixated on two TE sets, most likely because of the poor showing by the offensive line. Welker's game does not translate to an outside game, so is lone role is diminished to non-existent. At least, from what the Patriots are trying to do to compensate for this OL.

There are two ways to go about this compensating for the OL IMO with the loss of Aaron.

1. Convert more to the 3 WR -4 WR sets a la 2007 to allow Brady the very quick throws. The quicker the ball is out of Tom's hands the better the OL looks and Welker would be a large part of that.

2. Stick to the two TE set to help protection and establish a run game with Ridley. The signing of Winslow might suggest that this is the route the Patriots want to go, especially when you consider the major amount of TE's the Patriots brought in during the offseason. This is the most important position to the offense and it needs to be deep.

So either Welker is borderline useless or he is extremely important. We will see tonight I suppose.

Well, it was option 1 Laughing

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Well, it was option 1 Laughing

They were running more 3+ WR formations but they were using fewer quick passes than last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: