Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Patriots setting up Wes Welker trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me. If they really think Edelman has closed the gap talent-wise (As some have speculated), it might make sense to trade Welker now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pick for him.


I doubt they could get a 2nd round pick for him if they trade him week 8. A team would be giving up a prime pick to add 4M+ to their salary cap (pro-rated share of his salary) for 8-9 games + the playoffs. I just don't think that's likely.

If they do trade him, I suspect they will either do it soon to maximize their return or everyone will be disappointed with the return they get on a mid-season deal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Troy Brown


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 24838
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand the idea of trading him but I didn't understand trading Moss before he was traded either. Unless Welker has asked for a trade, then I still really don't see why the Patriots would move Welker. His value to us is greater than a 3rd rounder (which has to be the max we'd get for him)

The only possible reason I see is what everyone else has already said: they like Edelman better with the offense changing.
_________________

ELRammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deets


Moderator
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 12785
Location: Red Sox Nation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?
_________________

FF Member #67
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9331
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?


He is either a restricted FA or a FA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Troy Brown


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 24838
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?


Not very. It's not that Edelman is taking Welker's role, it's that they're taking the role Welker has filled since 07 out of the offense.
_________________

ELRammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deets wrote:
I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?


He is either a restricted FA or a FA.


He's a FA.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deets


Moderator
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 12785
Location: Red Sox Nation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Deets wrote:
I own Edelman for dynasty, how excited should I be for next year?


He is either a restricted FA or a FA.


He's a FA.


Sad
_________________

FF Member #67
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terbo559


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 3238
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
I don't really understand the idea of trading him but I didn't understand trading Moss before he was traded either. Unless Welker has asked for a trade, then I still really don't see why the Patriots would move Welker. His value to us is greater than a 3rd rounder (which has to be the max we'd get for him)

The only possible reason I see is what everyone else has already said: they like Edelman better with the offense changing.

Agree. I think a third round is the highest we can get for Welker, and his value to the team is much more than a third round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BP


Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 2323
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TomRalph"]With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pi]ck for him.[/quotehat team would want Weller in the middle of the season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9768
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offense seems fixated on two TE sets, most likely because of the poor showing by the offensive line. Welker's game does not translate to an outside game, so is lone role is diminished to non-existent. At least, from what the Patriots are trying to do to compensate for this OL.

There are two ways to go about this compensating for the OL IMO with the loss of Aaron.

1. Convert more to the 3 WR -4 WR sets a la 2007 to allow Brady the very quick throws. The quicker the ball is out of Tom's hands the better the OL looks and Welker would be a large part of that.

2. Stick to the two TE set to help protection and establish a run game with Ridley. The signing of Winslow might suggest that this is the route the Patriots want to go, especially when you consider the major amount of TE's the Patriots brought in during the offseason. This is the most important position to the offense and it needs to be deep.

So either Welker is borderline useless or he is extremely important. We will see tonight I suppose.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9768
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
This offense seems fixated on two TE sets, most likely because of the poor showing by the offensive line. Welker's game does not translate to an outside game, so is lone role is diminished to non-existent. At least, from what the Patriots are trying to do to compensate for this OL.

There are two ways to go about this compensating for the OL IMO with the loss of Aaron.

1. Convert more to the 3 WR -4 WR sets a la 2007 to allow Brady the very quick throws. The quicker the ball is out of Tom's hands the better the OL looks and Welker would be a large part of that.

2. Stick to the two TE set to help protection and establish a run game with Ridley. The signing of Winslow might suggest that this is the route the Patriots want to go, especially when you consider the major amount of TE's the Patriots brought in during the offseason. This is the most important position to the offense and it needs to be deep.

So either Welker is borderline useless or he is extremely important. We will see tonight I suppose.


Well, it was option 1 Laughing
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
This offense seems fixated on two TE sets, most likely because of the poor showing by the offensive line. Welker's game does not translate to an outside game, so is lone role is diminished to non-existent. At least, from what the Patriots are trying to do to compensate for this OL.

There are two ways to go about this compensating for the OL IMO with the loss of Aaron.

1. Convert more to the 3 WR -4 WR sets a la 2007 to allow Brady the very quick throws. The quicker the ball is out of Tom's hands the better the OL looks and Welker would be a large part of that.

2. Stick to the two TE set to help protection and establish a run game with Ridley. The signing of Winslow might suggest that this is the route the Patriots want to go, especially when you consider the major amount of TE's the Patriots brought in during the offseason. This is the most important position to the offense and it needs to be deep.

So either Welker is borderline useless or he is extremely important. We will see tonight I suppose.


Well, it was option 1 Laughing


They were running more 3+ WR formations but they were using fewer quick passes than last year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group