Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders cut OT Barksdale
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickButera

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Raiders cut OT Barksdale Reply with quote

I know it's in the free agency thread, but I miss the days when we you could open the Raiders forum and all the happenings of our team.

Anywho, I thought this warranted discussion:

Quote:
So far, McKenzie has waived Barksdale and CBs DeMarcus VanDyke (third round) and Chimdi Chekwa (fourth round). Those players were three out of the four highest players selected by the Raiders in last year’s draft. Chekwa signed with the Raiders practice squad earlier this month.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/source-raiders-cut-another-player-2011-draft-class

Hopefully the guys Reggie is picking up will result in some depth fixes. Depth is an underrated part of teams IMO. The right guys can keep you from losing the game on a few big plays if the wrong starter goes out.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Last edited by NickButera on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...so who do we have left from that draft class...taiwan jones?

yikes , that isnt good
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Barksdale, or DVD as draft picks, but I would have liked to see them kept around into next season. Reggie McKenzie feels no attachment to them because he didn't draft them, but I'm going to guess that if the recent ex-Packers he just signed were apart of this team's previous regime, he wouldn't have hesitated to let them go either. Every GM does this, so it's whatever.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oak42069 wrote:

yikes , that isnt good

Not sure if serious. Wiz, Moore, Jones, Ausberry, and Gordon all say hello.
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
oak42069 wrote:

yikes , that isnt good

Not sure if serious. Wiz, Moore, Jones, Ausberry, and Gordon all say hello.

i wasnt but i did forget about ausberry and gordon.

aside from wiz all those guys were later rounds. not too worried, but we not only took guys like dvd and barksdale but if memory recalls we also traded picks in order to get em.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barksdale showed some promise coming out of LSU. Not so much in the pros.

Oh well. Another Davis pick bites the dust.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be surprised to see Taiwan be the next victim of the 2011 class next season. Jones is one of the most dynamic players I have seen in recent history, however I wince EVERY time he is tackled as he is built like a hummingbird and looks like a ragdoll being thrown around when he is tackled. Imo, no way he possesses the durability to ever be a serious contributor

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I won't be surprised to see Taiwan be the next victim of the 2011 class next season. Jones is one of the most dynamic players I have seen in recent history, however I wince EVERY time he is tackled as he is built like a hummingbird and looks like a ragdoll being thrown around when he is tackled. Imo, no way he possesses the durability to ever be a serious contributor

Considering how poor most 3rd string RB's are around the league, I really hope that's not the case. Injuries have definitely followed him throughout his football career, but he's one of the harder players to touch, let alone tackle. I think we should keep him off special teams, and just use him as a COP back, where his chances of injury are lessened IMO. I love watching him play.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Considering how poor most 3rd string RB's are around the league, I really hope that's not the case. Injuries have definitely followed him throughout his football career, but he's one of the harder players to touch, let alone tackle. I think we should keep him off special teams, and just use him as a COP back, where his chances of injury are lessened IMO. I love watching him play.

How many 3rd string backs don't contribute on ST in the NFL?

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

How many 3rd string backs don't contribute on ST in the NFL?

Not sure. I know quite a few 2nd string RB's don't play ST's. Considering Mike Goodson's returning kicks now, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Darkness on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
backinblack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
I didn't like Barksdale, or DVD as draft picks, but I would have liked to see them kept around into next season. Reggie McKenzie feels no attachment to them because he didn't draft them, but I'm going to guess that if the recent ex-Packers he just signed were apart of this team's previous regime, he wouldn't have hesitated to let them go either. Every GM does this, so it's whatever.

I never liked the Barksdale pick. he seemed way to soft in all facets of blocking. DVD pick was way to early BUT i thought with some time and coaching he could be someone that contributes and not get picked on. like the fact that Reggie is constantly trying to upgrade. if barksdale is never gonna see the field why have him on the squad? dump him and see if you can find someone that will be active for games.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Barksdale is gone. Didn't think he'd make the 53 to begin with. He was constantly taking a butt kicking from backups in preseason.

Hopefully this is a sign that Bergstrom is developing to their liking. He's now the #2 LT behind Veldheer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated. Getting conflicting reports now.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Barksdale hasn't been cut, yet.

We don't have a guy to fill his spot unless Gurley is the guy. That would mean DHB is missing significant time.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backinblack wrote:
Darkness wrote:

I never liked the Barksdale pick. he seemed way to soft in all facets of blocking. DVD pick was way to early BUT i thought with some time and coaching he could be someone that contributes and not get picked on. like the fact that Reggie is constantly trying to upgrade. if barksdale is never gonna see the field why have him on the squad? dump him and see if you can find someone that will be active for games.

There are quite a few players that don't see the field that are still on the squad. Doesn't mean they have to be cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: