Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson is finally starting to hit better. Walked twice and hit a homer tonight, even though the team lost 15-4.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvmyraiderz wrote:
Any info on this Blake Lalli guy?

Good clubhouse guy. Poor defensive catcher and he's not really a good bet to put up even close to average offensive numbers. He'll give you his all, however.

And you're right, CBears019, Jackson has been looking much better as of late. He's homered in 3 of the past 4 games, but more importantly, his walks are trending up and his K's are trending down. Only 3 K's in his past 16 plate appearances, and 5 BBs in that time. Terribly small sample size, but it is definately nice to see.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
hrubes20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to talk about on the Cubs front, except that the Short-season A ball team, the Boise Hawks, are currently in the playoffs. The first round is a best-of-three series and it is tied 1-1 after a comeback win by the Hawks. The Boise team is jam-packed with prospects any Cub fan should learn about:

- Albert Almora, CF - 2012 1st rounder
- Dan Vogelbach, 1B/DH - 2011 2nd rounder
- Gioskar Amaya, 2B
- Marco Hernandez, SS
- Darien Martin, LF - 2011 11th rounder
- Pierce Johnson, RHP - 2012 Supplemental 1st rounder
- Stephen Bruno, IF - 2012 7th rounder
- Jeimer Candelario, 3B
- Tayler Scott, RHP - 2011 5th rounder

Here's to hoping that the Hawks can pull off another one and advance, as I want these guys to get all the in-game work that they can this year.

Additionally, I am starting the Suck For Stanek movement. This is in regards to Ryne Stanek, the starting pitcher for the University of Arkansas. He's good. Like, really good. He's just what our system needs. Unless something drastic changes, it looks like we will be picking at #2 next year. Hopefully the Astros pass on Stanek.

hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important series of the season for the Cubs starts tonight. While I hate that I'm cheering against my team, we need the Cubs to get swept by the Rockies. We are currently tied with them for the 2nd pick in the 2013 draft. Why is that important? It adds over $1 million to our draft pool, and adds a substantial amount of more money available for International signings. Not to mention that one more studly prospect is available to us at #2, than it would be at #3, #4 or #5.

Perfect world scenario is that Rizzo/Castro/Castillo/Jackson all destroy the baseball, but the Cubs lose 10-9 due to the Jason Berkens/Michael Bowdens/Justin Germanos/Chris Volstads/Lendy Castillos of the world getting lit up.

Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never like losing games, but at this point we might as well hope that the team gets a better draft pick. I'm sure that the players want to win, but it would be better in the long run if they didn't...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I never like losing games, but at this point we might as well hope that the team gets a better draft pick. I'm sure that the players want to win, but it would be better in the long run if they didn't...

Well, they've done what they "needed" to do in the first 2 games. Since we had a worse record than the Rockies last year, we would have the tiebreaker for the 2nd pick if we ended up with the same record. So, essentially we now have a 3 game "lead" over the Rockies with 7 games left, including 1 game with them this afternoon. I can't reiterate how important the 2nd pick is for the team in this upcoming draft/IFA period. We lack advanced pitching in the minors, which is the only real strength of next year's draft class right now.

Also, did anyone else catch what Jed Hoyer said yesterday about FA? He pretty much did an about-face on what Theo said, and made it seem like the Cubs might be players in FA this year. Probably just means the David DeJesus and Paul Maholms of the world, but you never know.

CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Well, they've done what they "needed" to do in the first 2 games. Since we had a worse record than the Rockies last year, we would have the tiebreaker for the 2nd pick if we ended up with the same record. So, essentially we now have a 3 game "lead" over the Rockies with 7 games left, including 1 game with them this afternoon. I can't reiterate how important the 2nd pick is for the team in this upcoming draft/IFA period. We lack advanced pitching in the minors, which is the only real strength of next year's draft class right now.

Also, did anyone else catch what Jed Hoyer said yesterday about FA? He pretty much did an about-face on what Theo said, and made it seem like the Cubs might be players in FA this year. Probably just means the David DeJesus and Paul Maholms of the world, but you never know.

Yeah they said they'd be looking for short-term deals and would likely look to trade them at the deadline. Hopefully we see Dempster back in cubbie blue next year.

AZBearsFan wrote:

hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Yeah they said they'd be looking for short-term deals and would likely look to trade them at the deadline. Hopefully we see Dempster back in cubbie blue next year.

I'd probably pass on that one at this point. He's 37 and his value will never be higher. I expect the Cubs to sign 2 starters in the Edwin Jackson/Shawn Marcum/Ervin Santana mold, to 3-4 year deals. These are guys young enough to provide solid value over the life of their contracts, as well as possessing some upside to the team as possible trade chips.

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see a potential player I really want, unlike last year.

I would be happy with:
Jake Peavy, P
Brandon McCarthy, P

Then going through another long year.

#JDI
RockyDennis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally cool with this team saving money and not blowing it in free agency. I can take another year of this.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockyDennis wrote:
I'm totally cool with this team saving money and not blowing it in free agency. I can take another year of this.

I hate just "throwing away" years, but I definately see the value in it. The team would be in a much better position, as the key prospects in the farm system will be more advanced and have a good deal more value. We have to remember (me especially) that our new FO treats prospects as assets and trades them readily, if a deal comes along to the benefit of the team. While it's fun to dream about Castro/Rizzo/Baez/Soler/Almora all reaching their potential and hitting in the same lineup, I would be shocked if even 4 of them are with the Cubs. Just a hunch, but if David Price isn't traded this offseason, I think he's traded to the Cubs (with an extension in hand) for a bevy of prospects including Baez, Vogelbach and others.

hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 pick is locked up after the loss last night. Silver lining and whatnot.

TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bros.

I don't follow baseball.

But when did the Florida Marlins become the Miami Marlins?

Wut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Bros.

I don't follow baseball.

But when did the Florida Marlins become the Miami Marlins?

Wut

Bout a year ago.

AZBearsFan wrote:

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do we target in free agency?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 83 of 103

Jump to: