Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

League Cup Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Gervinho was alright last year, just couldn't finish. That should come with experience

He's 25 not 18.

The speed from the French league to the Premier league is quite different. It will take time for him to adjust and I expect him to have a good year this year
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Gervinho was alright last year, just couldn't finish. That should come with experience

He's 25 not 18.

The speed from the French league to the Premier league is quite different. It will take time for him to adjust and I expect him to have a good year this year

Lol, he's had a cracking start.

His touch is awful (as highlighted by the City game) and no amount of adjusting will help that.

dhunt2402

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
teamorange wrote:

He's 25 not 18.

Eden Hazard hasn't had much trouble so far. Granted he's a special talent, but for someone who was highly regarded in France as Gervinho was, he should have settled well before now, and if I'm an Arsenal fan, its a little disconcerting that he's still such a middling player

Deadpulse on the sig
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
teamorange wrote:

He's 25 not 18.

Eden Hazard hasn't had much trouble so far. Granted he's a special talent, but for someone who was highly regarded in France as Gervinho was, he should have settled well before now, and if I'm an Arsenal fan, its a little disconcerting that he's still such a middling player

It would be if we were relying on him. He wasn't brought in to be a huge part of the team, like Cazorla. The resurgence of Ramsey and AOC means we don't need to rely on him. A useful squad player, disappointing transfer, but not a disaster.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mertesacker was not a laughingstock last year. People who see his tall frame and clunky movements just assume he doesn't have the pace to match quicker attackers. He does. He proved that with the German national team and he's proving it now. His greatest asset is his great game intelligence and he used that anticipation to intercept about 11 balls vs. Man City (defending against a quick, extremely talented attacker to boot).

To me it's not a surprise that Mertesacker has become a success. To keep Laurent Koscielny out of the squad, who was a top 5 CB last season, is quite a feat. Gervinho needs to prove more, I'll admit. He is not a great player by any means, but he possesses great-making qualities. He will never be a world class finisher, Arsenal doesn't need him to be. But he has a lot more to offer than that horrific first touch he showed vs. Man City.
yankee0724

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Mertesacker was not a laughingstock last year. People who see his tall frame and clunky movements just assume he doesn't have the pace to match quicker attackers. He does. He proved that with the German national team and he's proving it now. His greatest asset is his great game intelligence and he used that anticipation to intercept about 11 balls vs. Man City (defending against a quick, extremely talented attacker to boot).

Uh...what? Mertesacker is INCREDIBLY slow and has to rely on his superb mental game to do anything defensively. The only reason he's having success is because you guys are playing him to his strengths: sitting back and reading the play instead of having to chase it because he was far up like he did whenever he played last season.

And Mertesacker was terrible last season...

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
teamorange wrote:

He's 25 not 18.

Hazard could be a once in a generation player, there was no doubting his talent (although I do remember my first post in this sub was defending Hazard).

Gervinho was disappointing last year but there was a lot of bright spots in his game. He isn't Theo who just looks down and runs, Gervinho is pretty intelligent and picks up players that make runs. What was lacking was the tight quick passes or quick shots, something that wasn't present in the French game. The faster nature of the English league has less to do with his ability and what he was use to. He will get better even though he is pretty much fully matured as a player in terms of technical ability.

He won't ever be a star in the EPL but he could be a quality starter.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
charger-man wrote:

Uh...what? Mertesacker is INCREDIBLY slow and has to rely on his superb mental game to do anything defensively. The only reason he's having success is because you guys are playing him to his strengths: sitting back and reading the play instead of having to chase it because he was far up like he did whenever he played last season.

And Mertesacker was terrible last season...

QFT.

And its laughable making excuses for Gervinho, the guy is pretty much the same guy he was last year, lots of energy but sod all production. He is Arsenals Forlan, who to be fair scored a couple of important goals, and will soon be relegated to the reserves at which point I'm sure the tune here will change.

The original point stands, as does my opinion of the two players from last year.

The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited to see Gnabry start tonight.. hopefully we can get some early control in midfield with Frimpong & Coquelin in there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. We caught a break there.
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding me. Atrocious defending.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was far too easy for Reading.

Not too surprising though given the side we've fielded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koscielny is the king of own-goals of that variety...

Really poor display from the back-four thus far.

2-0 Reading.

Last edited by The Wyzzinator on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamorange

Kos has looked awful recently
RoxSox2004

Brick wall

Just unlucky for Koscielny. This game may be a write off already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 5 of 26

Jump to: