Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers Ryan Mundy fined $21,000 for hit on Darrius Heyward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:
As the game slipped away on defense, I saw the Steeler defenders become more and more desperate with borderline hits gravitating bit by bit toward the head and the knees.

Desperate Hits to the knees? You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4E8xpOrQLM

Or better yet, but what Wheeler's blatant cheap shot at Big Ben's knees?

I guess it's just the Steelers making dirty hits, right?

Nice of your OL to help them out there by giving them a boost in Bens direction Smile

It may be something happened before that gif start but what on earth is no68 doing there ?

Even if he shoved him, he didnt make Wheeler crawl 5 feet and dive into Ben's leg.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
There was some acting in there man. Ben made it bigger than it was, Wheeler barely touched his cleat Laughing

either that or his foot is REALLY sensitive

He slammed into his ankle pretty hard.

Its okay though, Bay Area....not the first time you've made stuff up. Probably not the last either.
holyghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
There was some acting in there man. Ben made it bigger than it was, Wheeler barely touched his cleat Laughing

Its okay though, Bay Area....not the first time you've made stuff up. Probably not the last either.

If you watch his foot, he did hit his foot pretty solidly. And it's a cheap play. Initially I thought it was mad acting, during the game. But if you focus directly on the foot and ankle, he does bend it pretty good.

I don't like watching my team play that way. I'd rather see them lose than win dirty, and teams that win dirty disgust me. But I would say it's isolated for Oakland despite the reputation that has really only carried over from soooo long ago.
Like I said in my last post, you can't call a team dirty because of one dirty player. Not that I think Wheeler is dirty, but that was not a legit clean play. He could definitely absolutely have avoided Ben despite the push, but didn't. In fact he lept over toward Ben and changed his direction using the push as an excuse.

As for the Hood play, I don't think it is legal. Cut blocks (legal) become chop blocks (illegal) if the player is engaged high and you go low. Hood was engaged high.

Still, I don't talk about the Steelers based entirely on Mundy so I don't think it's fair to judge the Raiders on only Wheeler for one play. I won't even discuss Willie Smith because like I said he wasn't coached up in the last 10 days on this team to play that way. He was coached up to do that on a Shanahan Oline.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its pointless to speculate because only Ben knows what happend but that hit was far from dirty, Wheeler barely touched him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:

If you watch his foot, he did hit his foot pretty solidly. And it's a cheap play. Initially I thought it was mad acting, during the game. But if you focus directly on the foot and ankle, he does bend it pretty good.

I don't like watching my team play that way. I'd rather see them lose than win dirty, and teams that win dirty disgust me. But I would say it's isolated for Oakland despite the reputation that has really only carried over from soooo long ago.
Like I said in my last post, you can't call a team dirty because of one dirty player. Not that I think Wheeler is dirty, but that was not a legit clean play. He could definitely absolutely have avoided Ben despite the push, but didn't. In fact he lept over toward Ben and changed his direction using the push as an excuse.

As for the Hood play, I don't think it is legal. Cut blocks (legal) become chop blocks (illegal) if the player is engaged high and you go low. Hood was engaged high.

Still, I don't talk about the Steelers based entirely on Mundy so I don't think it's fair to judge the Raiders on only Wheeler for one play. I won't even discuss Willie Smith because like I said he wasn't coached up in the last 10 days on this team to play that way. He was coached up to do that on a Shanahan Oline.

Im not judging Wheeler or the Raiders at all.

I just think its ridiculous that certain posters are trying to act like Mundy had every intention of hurting DHB and that Wheeler did nothing wrong.

I honestly dont even think Wheeler was trying to hurt Ben, just stop him from making a play, but it was fairly cheap.

And in terms of Mundy...just a bad player thats not even really backup quality. I could care less if they kicked him out of the league....but I dont think his helmet to helmet was intentional.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for
purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive
player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in subsections (1)
through (10) below.
CHOP BLOCK ON PASS (ENGAGEMENT)
(1) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically engaged
above the waist by the blocking attempt of A2.
CHOP BLOCK ON PASS (AFTER ENGAGEMENT)
(2) On a forward pass play in which A2 physically engages a defensive player above the waist with a
blocking attempt, A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been broken and while
A2 is still confronting the defensive player.
CHOP BLOCK ON PASS (WITH “LURE”)
(3) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a
pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a “lure”).
REVERSE CHOP BLOCK ON PASS
(4) On a forward pass play, A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and A2,

simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high.
Note: Each of the above circumstances in subsections (1) through (4), which describes a chop-block foul on a
forward-pass play, also applies on a play in which an offensive player indicates an apparent attempt to
pass block but the play ultimately becomes a run.
(5) On a running play, A1 is lined up in the backfield at the snap and subsequently chops a defensive
player engaged above the waist by A2, and such block occurs on or behind the line of scrimmage in
an area extending laterally to the positions originally occupied by the tight end on either side.
CHOP BLOCK ON RUN (BY A LINEMAN)
(6) On a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has
been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from
A1.
This rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away
from A1.

That chop block is 100% legal, it's also pretty dirty.

Thanks Lyasr 529

Last edited by SMashMouthMike on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keleth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Keleth wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:
As the game slipped away on defense, I saw the Steeler defenders become more and more desperate with borderline hits gravitating bit by bit toward the head and the knees.

Nice of your OL to help them out there by giving them a boost in Bens direction Smile

It may be something happened before that gif start but what on earth is no68 doing there ?

Even if he shoved him, he didnt make Wheeler crawl 5 feet and dive into Ben's leg.

Not saying he did.
I find it real strange that an OL trying to protect his QB pushes the defender towards his QB.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
Not saying he did.
I find it real strange that an OL trying to protect his QB pushes the defender towards his QB.

towards his QB 5 feet away....

anyway, find it HILARIOUS that Raider fans are calling the Steelers dirty!!!!!!!

But I guess they were dirty when it was "ok" to be dirty.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
holyghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Keleth wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:

Not saying he did.

Listen, I'm a Raider fan but I am not about to defend that play. Because of the bad TV angle it looks like the OT is pushing Wheeler toward Ben. But he's not dude, he pushed him like 30 degrees away from Ben. Wheeler redirects himself toward Ben as he circles along the ground with his hands. No way he is pushed directly at Ben. I thought different during the game, but seeing the replay over and over, it's 100% suspect.
And if you just look like I said, at Ben's foot and ankle the entire GIF, he smacks it good.

To the guy who posted the chop block rules, correct me if I am wrong but it reads as if the play was not legal. Hood was engaged high and chopped low by a second player in Smith, while moving toward the play. Maybe the rules are bad to read like electronics instructions, but it sounds like it's describing that exact play as being illegal.

Back to Mundy, there's no way it was a clean hit because he was fined for it. Boldin had his face smashed to pieces on a very similar play. I don't buy him trying to knock the ball away, because he could just as easily have had his hands extended out, you know like a guy trying to knock the ball away.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:

To the guy who posted the chop block rules, correct me if I am wrong but it reads as if the play was not legal. Hood was engaged high and chopped low by a second player in Smith, while moving toward the play. Maybe the rules are bad to read like electronics instructions, but it sounds like it's describing that exact play as being illegal.

We're discussing this very topic, in the Steelers forum, more in depth:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=500380

Feel free to join in the talk.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Darkness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:

I love how Ben holds his knee when he falls down. Then gets up walking with a limp. Then on the next play he's perfectly fine. haha
RaiderFanSD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't ask Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey about that hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy last Sunday that knocked him out of the game.

"I don't remember any of it, so I wouldn't be able to tell you," Heyward-Bey said, when asked how scary it was. "The first thing I remember is being carted off the field."

Heyward-Bey watched practice Friday and talked to reporters for the first time since getting out of the hospital Monday. He hasn't passed the NFL's battery of concussion tests yet and hasn't started running. "I'm just happy to be walking, talking and eating," he said.

Heyward-Bey was unconscious from the helmet-to-chin hit by Mundy in the fourth quarter Sunday. Besides the concussion, he wrenched his neck, which he said was fine Friday.

Heyward-Bey said Mundy texted him soon after the incident. He doesn't hold a grudge against Mundy, who was fined $21,000 by the league for the hit.

"I told him, 'Hey, it's football,' " Heyward-Bey said.

Receivers get paid to take hits, and he said he is looking forward to getting back on the field - probably after the Week 5 bye - and taking another shot and bouncing off.

"Always. That's just football," Heyward-Bey said. "I signed up to put on pads and go out there. That's what happens out there. People get hit, people get hurt. It happens."

Heyward-Bey is technically listed as doubtful on the injury report, as is rookie receiver Rod Streater after tweaking his neck. Derek Hagan will start opposite Denarius Moore.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Heyward-Bey-downplays-big-hit-3904364.php#ixzz27tTYEyEM
rickyp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
deserved a big suspension

No...it really didnt.

And I could care less. Kick Mundy out of the league for all I care.

But for that...no.

Sigh...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFanSD wrote:
Quote:
Don't ask Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey about that hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy last Sunday that knocked him out of the game.

"I don't remember any of it, so I wouldn't be able to tell you," Heyward-Bey said, when asked how scary it was. "The first thing I remember is being carted off the field."

Heyward-Bey watched practice Friday and talked to reporters for the first time since getting out of the hospital Monday. He hasn't passed the NFL's battery of concussion tests yet and hasn't started running. "I'm just happy to be walking, talking and eating," he said.

Heyward-Bey was unconscious from the helmet-to-chin hit by Mundy in the fourth quarter Sunday. Besides the concussion, he wrenched his neck, which he said was fine Friday.

Heyward-Bey said Mundy texted him soon after the incident. He doesn't hold a grudge against Mundy, who was fined $21,000 by the league for the hit.

"I told him, 'Hey, it's football,' " Heyward-Bey said.

Receivers get paid to take hits, and he said he is looking forward to getting back on the field - probably after the Week 5 bye - and taking another shot and bouncing off.

"Always. That's just football," Heyward-Bey said. "I signed up to put on pads and go out there. That's what happens out there. People get hit, people get hurt. It happens."

Heyward-Bey is technically listed as doubtful on the injury report, as is rookie receiver Rod Streater after tweaking his neck. Derek Hagan will start opposite Denarius Moore.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Heyward-Bey-downplays-big-hit-3904364.php#ixzz27tTYEyEM

Classy comments from DHB. Nice to read his opinion on the play. It was a good gesture that Mundy texted him as well. Hopefully he won't have any lingering effects from the hit and will be back to playing after week 5.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/02/4875617/heyward-bey-back-at-practice-for.html#mi_rss=Raiders

Quote:
Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was back at practice for the first time since being hospitalized by a helmet-to-helmet hit as the Oakland Raiders worked on fixing their problems during the bye week.

Heyward-Bey took part in individual drills Tuesday as the Raiders (1-3) held their first of two practices this week before getting four days off for the bye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: