Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
I don't put a ton on Ponder today for his poor day. The right side of the line got manhandled quite a bit this game. I saw Loadholt get pushed back more than that large a man should ever be.

But was he poor?

He simply managed the game. Unlike last week when we needed him to play, we just had him keep the game at hand.

I noticed one really bad pass (Avril should've had a pick 6), and one clutch pass to Simpson in the 4th.

That near pick 6 is not Ponder's fault. It was a designed play and Loadholt has to get the DE's hands down by cutting him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
No, but he sealed it with that touch pass to Simpson.

That was a hell of a throw and a hell of an athletic catch. A joy to see.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
As far as what could be considered a similar comparison (at least for today) is here is the stat card for Tom Brady in his 13th start:

11-19, 108 yds, 1 TD, 0 Ints in a 20-13 victory over the Dolphins

Here's Ponder's line (his 14th start) from today:

16-26, 111 yds, 0 Tds, 0 Ints in a 20-13 victory over the Lions

next stop... the Twilight Zone.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange game on offense. I thought the play-calling was a bit off, we had whole periods where we did not try to run the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. No Rudolph, no Harvin. Ponder was not good, he lacked the improvisation that helped us against the 49ers. Still, a win is a win, and while the offense didn't impress, it didn't turn over the ball either.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Strange game on offense. I thought the play-calling was a bit off, we had whole periods where we did not try to run the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. No Rudolph, no Harvin. Ponder was not good, he lacked the improvisation that helped us against the 49ers. Still, a win is a win, and while the offense didn't impress, it didn't turn over the ball either.
ya. They play calling left much to he desired.. there was a screen play to Harvin that got stopped but even billick said they need to go back to it and catch Simpson running free... stuff like that they need to take advantage of. Watching that replay a pump fake by ponder dwould be all that is needed to fool a defense on that play
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the eighth pick of the 2011 draft, Tennessee plucked Jake Locker to be their quarterback of the future. Four picks later, with Locker off the board, the Vikings reeled in Ponder. But don't underestimate just how close those two picks were to being reversed.

Munchak acknowledged Wednesday that he and the Titans were sold on Ponder's intelligence, athleticism and poise but ultimately decided Locker was a better fit for their system. That said, Munchak hasn't been surprised at all by how well Ponder has played early in his second season.

Munchak: "I'm proud of him. You feel like you know these guys when you spend this much time with them before the draft. I thought he was a great kid. Smart. And all of the things you're watching on tape now is what I thought he'd be."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172575031.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that if the Titans had not taken Locker at #8, he would be wearing purple instead of Ponder. But, I'm pleased with where Ponder is at. I think both players will be successful in the end.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one starting quarterback left in the NFL who hasnít thrown an interception this season.

Ponder has had to be lucky to keep from being picked off a few times, when defensive players have dropped balls right to them. He also hasnít connected on any long passes. But he has done exactly what the Vikings have asked, fighting temptation to force a deep throw just to make it happen, instead patiently handing the ball to Adrian Peterson, finding Harvin and others in the middle of the field and letting the defense do the rest of the work.

Ponder: ďObviously my biggest fault last year was turning the ball over way too much. So to kind of correct those things and to put in a lot of time to protect those things, itís paying off. Iíve just got to continue that. Itís only the first quarter of the season, so Iíve got three quarters to go and hopefully some extra quarters after that.Ē

Frazier: ďHeís making a conscious effort to make good decisions with the ball. When you consider the rate that he was throwing interceptions at a year ago and then you see howís he is doing now, itís just a credit to Christian understanding what turnovers do to a team, and then making good decisions under pressure. There have been times where heís been trapped in the pocket, where a year ago he might have just tried to throw it up or take a sack, and heís gotten rid of the ball or he does a very good job of throwing a check-down.Ē

Ponder, in fairness to his 2011 performance, hasnít even finished the equivalent of a full season yet. He has 14 career starts.

http://www.foxsportsnext.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/stories/vikings-proud-of-interception-free-ponder.20121006.html

Webmaster wrote:
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally okay with not throwing interceptions.

What I'm not okay with is going ultra conservative and never throwing the ball down the field, heck or 10-15 yards more than 5 times a game.

But I'm not too concerned with that We should be fine. I'll be watching the whole year how we respond to every situation. When we play with urgency, when we find it okay to just manage the game. How will we adjust to teams when they take away all the short stuff and ask Ponder to go deep, and how will they respond when we open our offense?

Its all very interesting. I don't think we've really even cracked the surface of how far this offense can go.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm totally okay with not throwing interceptions.

good to know. we'll draft a memo for Musgrave from you.

Webmaster wrote:
joru1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see a 3 td, 300+ yard performance from Ponder with no interceptions. Especially against the poor Titans defense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder threw his first two interceptions -- on back-to-back throws, no less. But then he settled back in and completed 12 of his final 13 passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns.

Frazier: "A year ago, I don't know if he would have been able to stay as engaged as he was after the second pick."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/173046541.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yardage on those final throws is unimpressive, but we had a big lead and were mostly eating clock.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good performance from Ponder. The running game was stifled at times, but Ponder responded by putting up decent bulk yardage.

As for the picks, first pick was a good decision but a bad throw. Rudolph went to the sideline, but Ponder put it high behind him.

Second pick was a bad decision, should have gone to Harvin on the underneath crossing route, or at least looked off that DB.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with Itunes Christian Ponder is on Peter King's podcast this week.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 37 of 100

Jump to: