Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who's returning kicks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I trust that Sherels will field the punt, but I usually dont expect much more than a 5-10 yard return Not a terrible thing, id probably rather have a player like that than someone who will struggle fielding punts, could fumble, but also has the potential to break a 15-20 yard return. The risk of turning the ball over isnt worth the extra 10-15 yards.

It seems those are the types of punt returners Leslie/Prifer like. (remember Cam) That's why Sherels is still the guy. Hopefully Wright stays sure handed and gets the job. That would free up another roster spot to use somewhere else, because I'm not sure Sherels makes the team if he not the number one punt returner. Wright makes the team, whether he's punt returner or not.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I trust that Sherels will field the punt, but I usually dont expect much more than a 5-10 yard return Not a terrible thing, id probably rather have a player like that than someone who will struggle fielding punts, could fumble, but also has the potential to break a 15-20 yard return. The risk of turning the ball over isnt worth the extra 10-15 yards.

It seems those are the types of punt returners Leslie/Prifer like. (remember Cam) That's why Sherels is still the guy. Hopefully Wright stays sure handed and gets the job. That would free up another roster spot to use somewhere else, because I'm not sure Sherels makes the team if he not the number one punt returner. Wright makes the team, whether he's punt returner or not.

I basically agree, plus having Sherels on the roster means you probably cant keep one of the promising young CBs like Felder or Jones, I just dont see much potential from Sherels as a CB and his skill set as a PR is very underwhelming. Adequate, but underwhelming.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id really like to see Jarius Wright returning kicks and punts. He has playmaking ability.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine Winfield: "[Marcus Sherels] really knows how to play football. He's a small guy but very smart. His acceleration is unreal. Just watch him. He's quick."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/168410966.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a number that suggests Percy Harvin will be on the field the first time Jacksonville kicks off on Sunday at Mall of America Field -35.7 -That's the average yards per kickoff return for the teams that played the Jaguars this preseason. That also was the worst kick coverage performance in the league during the preseason.

Granted, it's a number that scrubs and guys who are no longer on the team helped compile. But it's still a fair comparison because it's not like the other 31 teams were using their best players throughout the preseason.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/168803196.html

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Harvin to be back there for the opening kickoff return, no reason he shouldnt. Start the year off with a bang!

I hope to see Wright back there as well. The more Wright can show his worth on special teams, the most he will be active on game day. If he is active on game day, he will get more chances at WR. Basically I want to see Jarius Wright develop into that playmaking WR MN is desperate for and he cant if he is constantly inactive because he isnt playing special teams.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I expect Harvin to be back there for the opening kickoff return, no reason he shouldnt. Start the year off with a bang!

I hope to see Wright back there as well. The more Wright can show his worth on special teams, the most he will be active on game day. If he is active on game day, he will get more chances at WR. Basically I want to see Jarius Wright develop into that playmaking WR MN is desperate for and he cant if he is constantly inactive because he isnt playing special teams.

Won't that Bryan Anger guy be kicking off? I heard the dude's got a great leg.

If thats the case, every kickoff will likely end up as a touchback. LAME.

down but not out. I still believe!
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Wright is nursing an injury and won't be playing today. It will probably be Harvin/Burton on kickoffs and Sherels on PR.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priefer was asked, once again, if Harvin would take all the kickoffs this season.

“I hope so,” Priefer said. “That's the plan and we've talked about this for almost two years now, when you have the best athlete you have on the team out there as your kickoff returner, that's what you want.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20093078/vikings-percy-harvin-to-return-kicks

vikingsrule wrote:

Just like last year!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the third time in Vikings history they've returned a kickoff and punt for a score in the same game. The other occasions were on Dec. 12, 1999, at Kansas City (Randy Moss and Robert Tate) and Nov. 13, 2005, against the New York Giants at the Meadowlands (Mewelde Moore and Koren Robinson.)

Harvin's return was the longest play in Vikings history and the fifth career kickoff return touchdown for Harvin, who owns the team record and has three of the four longest kickoff returns in team history. He's also only the fifth player in NFL history to have at least five kick-return touchdowns in his first four seasons, joining Gale Sayers, Josh Cribbs, Justin Miller and Travis Williams.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Percy_Harvin_Marcus_Sherels_drive_Vikings_special_delivery093012

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer had studied video of the Tennessee Titans' 105-yard kick return in their win over the Lions and saw something he thought the Vikings could exploit -- particularly if Detroit covered its kickoffs the same way. On the Titans' kick return touchdown, Lions kicker Jason Hanson put the ball in the middle of the end zone, but former Viking Darius Reynaud cut right, Titans tight end Taylor Thompson laid out Lions cornerback Jonte Green and Reynaud had the sideline to himself.

The Vikings thought they could do the same thing, and even though Hanson's kick to Harvin sailed further to the left, Harvin ran to the same hole. This time, Ellison drove running back Stefan Logan toward the middle of the field, Matt Asiata ran Green out of the play and just like Reynaud the week before, Harvin shot to the sideline untouched.

Priefer: "They covered like they did last week. We pinned one guy in and pushed the other guy out."

Harvin: "It was slow-motion. That hole opened up, and you probably could have walked through there. The blockers did a great job, and I did the easy part. They told me all week they were going to do everything they could to get me in the end zone."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21668455/percy-harvins-touchdown-return-was-no-chance-matter

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only "bad" thing about the TENN game is that since they only scored once, we only got two kickoff chances. and one was an offside attempt.

how are guys feeling about Sherels as a punt returner, based on the last few games?

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
the only "bad" thing about the TENN game is that since they only scored once, we only got two kickoff chances. and one was an offside attempt.

I don't remember anyone being called offsides...

I do remember the onside kick though.
HighHopes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Sherels. I would be interested in what Wright can do, but I see no reason on trying to replace him. He is a 4th/5th CB. Thats kind of who I want back there anyways. Harvin is a threat on KRs, but he is also in the possibility of being injured just for field position.

Im not saying take Harvin out, but I much prefer seeing 4th/5th string guys being doubled as a good returner.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sherels is alright...certainly solid and dependable, if not electric consistently. I would have loved to see how Reynaud would be doing if he were still here, because I think he could offer more on offense than Sherels can on defense.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: