Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official thread of the Penn State University V.II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
Purple Pride,

You should have a new thread ready soon.

Got it covered. I've purposely held off on updating the OP for that very reason.

Crazy - this thread is V.2 and when I created the first Penn State thread I was one of maybe 2 or 3 others. We've grown, and it's awesome.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
eagles26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been noticing a noticeable gap ("generational gap" if you will) between current students/some recent grads and older (not "old") alumni. Most of it's with regard to the elephant in the room (e.g. http://onwardstate.com/2012/09/21/please-dont-be-stupid-this-saturday/), and now it's some sporadic inappropriate chanting by a way-overblown number of students (http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/09/penn_state_students_drop_f_bom.html). Is it me or is this reaching ridiculous levels?

Gotta love Penn State Memes.

^^kudos to Kempes, E808 on the Avy
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly no need to pick sides in the ordeal, but any way you slice it, alumni of any age should not ruin the traditions of the team, I.e. the Blue Out, in this case.

I, for the most part, totally see where alums are coming from - as they greatly dislike the way the university, JoePa, and they as a result have been portrayed on the national stage. Truly, I do believe Penn State turned its back on Joe Paterno wrongfully and didn't respect the process, giving into media and NCAA pressures. With that said, there's quite obviously more to it than just that and that side of the situation must be respected as well. Obviously a bad situation for all involved -- students, student-athletes, alumni, etc.

I read a comment in the first link you provided, eagles26, and it more or less summarized things beautifully:

A responding alumni to the article - "Please Don't be Stupid This Saturday" via Onward State

Quote:
Actually, students such as yourself who refer to the alumni as "stupid" and who say you are ashamed to be associated with us are expanding the rift between students and alumni.

We have never asked you students to join in this fight. Many of us have said repeatedly that we want you to enjoy your years at PSU as much as we did, and getting involved in the fight to preserve Penn State would be detrimental to that. We welcome your help, but we do not expect it, and we do not criticize you for not joining in the cause.

However, you and your publication have continuously taken potshots at us, such as the one above. Why? Perhaps to gain hits on the site like so many of your media contemporaries? Certainly not to make an argument for the social benefits of a blue out, because your only statement to that effect was "it's for a good cause" while you made several attacks on your alumni.

One day you will leave Happy Valley and see that the love of everything Penn State that exists there in that sheltered environment is in no way reflective of the opinions of PSU in the greater U.S. Perhaps you will have a more difficult time finding a job or a place to live because of the ignorance of people who have accepted the narrative of Penn State as the headquarters of evil and pedophilia in the English-speaking world. Perhaps you will be verbally or physically attacked or have your property vandalized. I hope not, but if it happens, "for the love of all that is holy, don't be 'that guy' who" expects better treatment because you have done nothing wrong.

Perhaps instead, these stupid alumni who have lost their minds and made you ashamed will have accomplished the goal of restoring the public image of Penn State, protecting the financial and, by extension, academic standings of the university from which you got your degree. Of course, you might want to be careful about who interviews you for a job, because online articles never go away. How trustworthy will you look to an employer when you publicly attack those who have already been where you are?

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
ICE13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After they chanted F**k Penn State the entire game last year, and to a much higher magnitude than we did, I'm not too concerned about it.

Temple is the only team I don't mind doing it to though.

"As always, criminal justice proceedings, if any, take precedence over any NCAA actions" - Mark Emmert, 1982
eagles26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE13 wrote:
After they chanted F**k Penn State the entire game last year, and to a much higher magnitude than we did, I'm not too concerned about it.

I don't have a problem with the fact that people said it, only people's reactions to the fact that it was done (e.g. the second link and the meme). I mean, people are saying it doesn't help the whole "football culture" "problem" we have. Excuse me, look at the Ravens fans last night: this is a national culture problem and won't get fixed by Disney-fying Beaver Stadium.

There was a comment somewhere about this nonsense that basically said it's a football atmosphere, and that parents should actually parent their children if they don't want them exposed to that kind of environment. If they hear foul language, use it as a teaching opportunity so they know that that's unacceptable language at their age. That I agreed with, wish I could find it.

ICE13 wrote:
Temple is the only team I don't mind doing it to though.
Maybe Ohio State Wink

Purple-Pride07, I totally agree with your first two paragraphs. The comment you selected, though, was one I immediately remembered (probably because it's the top one on OS) having a negative (not totally disagreeing with it) view of.

First paragraph: Pointing fingers. Great way to "expand the rift" she's talking about.

Second paragraph: This, to me, seemed extremely chastising in nature and really just turned me off. I understand that she's probably old enough to be my Mom, but that doesn't mean she should talk to me like a child. Now this is probably due to the lens through which I'm seeing this, but still, she should've understood her audience better.

Further, her use of the word "fight" makes it out to be a "you're with us or you're not" kind of black and white issue, which goes against the countless complexities of the entire situation. It seemed more as a rallying cry for alumni/non-students that a call for peace (which is what it should've been).

Third paragraph: Does she really want to guy to explicitly state the benefits of promoting awareness of sexual abuse? This should go without saying, and really just looks like nitpicking.

Fourth paragraph: If her idea that we live in a "sheltered environment" isn't representative of a generational gap, I don't know what is. We have social media today, lady. We understand there are views out there that differ from our own. Heck, not everyone here is blindly in love with Penn State; if anything, this mess has shown us how critical of our own university we can be. This, (again) to me, just furthered her holier than thou attitude of "I'm older than you so I'm right." I understand you have life experiences and whatever, but being in college and being knowledgeable of differing opinions aren't mutually exclusive.

Fifth paragraph: Good luck "restoring the public image of Penn State" by, what many in the nation (not necessarily I), view as beating a dead horse. You may not agree with it, but that's the fact. If anything, it looks like she's the one in the bubble.

MeanJoeGreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh. I hate that comment from the alumni. Lets move on. The media cycle has for the most part....the only time it gets brought up is when the alumni bring it up.
Steagles87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lineman Tanner Hartman switches commitment from Maryland to Penn State. Cool
eagles26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Paul Jones left...

Steagles87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles26 wrote:
So Paul Jones left...

I guess being the 3rd string QB behind a walk-on and a true freshman who PSU beat out Rice for and then realizing he'd be the 5th-6th best TE on the roster isn't that attractive to him.

Maybe, he will get his chance somewhere. But, he can't be that appealing to most schools. He burned his red shirt. He has struggled to learn the playbook and to keep his grades up (He's already missed a year for academic ineligibility and has been close a couple other times.)

Devlin, Newsome, Bolden, and Jones. Big name QB recruits have not turned out well in recent history (You could go back further, if we wanted to count Morelli being a disappointment). Here is to hoping Hackenburg can buck the trend.
eagles26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to Paul Jones, I'm not surprised in the slightest. Wish him luck in the future.
Steagles87 wrote:

He's only ~245 lbs? Is it me or is that kinda small for a lineman?

McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles26 wrote:
With regards to Paul Jones, I'm not surprised in the slightest. Wish him luck in the future.
Steagles87 wrote:

Offense or Defense?
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think Mauti is as good or on the same level as Lee and Poz

PSN: bench515lbs
ICE13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
eagles26 wrote:
Steagles87 wrote:

Offense or Defense?

Offense for us.

MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Lee? I'd say yes, just counting this year. Poz? No way, Poz was definitely on another level than Mauti.

Mauti is on that All American tier of Dan Connor, Sean Lee, etc imo. Poz, he goes up with the all time greats like Jack Ham, Shane Conlan, LaVar, etc.

"As always, criminal justice proceedings, if any, take precedence over any NCAA actions" - Mark Emmert, 1982
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE13 wrote:
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
eagles26 wrote:
Steagles87 wrote:

Offense or Defense?

Offense for us.

MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Lee? I'd say yes, just counting this year. Poz? No way, Poz was definitely on another level than Mauti.

Mauti is on that All American tier of Dan Connor, Sean Lee, etc imo. Poz, he goes up with the all time greats like Jack Ham, Shane Conlan, LaVar, etc.

Thanks for clarifying, I knew you would know.

PSN: bench515lbs
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles26 wrote:
Purple-Pride07, I totally agree with your first two paragraphs. The comment you selected, though, was one I immediately remembered (probably because it's the top one on OS) having a negative (not totally disagreeing with it) view of.

Can't argue with any of your points. As I said, it's a troubling situation for all involved. Neither current students, nor alumni are totally correct and that's basically where it ends. We really should all be united. If there was ever a time where we needed unity, it's now. The players exemplified that magnificently and we as fans, alums, students, etc. should follow suit.

Steagles87 wrote:
I guess being the 3rd string QB behind a walk-on and a true freshman who PSU beat out Rice for and then realizing he'd be the 5th-6th best TE on the roster isn't that attractive to him.

Devlin, Newsome, Bolden, and Jones. Big name QB recruits have not turned out well in recent history (You could go back further, if we wanted to count Morelli being a disappointment). Here is to hoping Hackenburg can buck the trend.

Paragraph 1: It's seriously confusing and frustrating, how Paul Jones went from potential savior/future, to being buried on the tight end depth chart. It's astounding how things unfold. I can't say I really understand or know why Jones never received a shot at quarterback. Maybe there was something I missed, but to my knowledge he was always close to playing time. He made the right choice for himself, and his absence obviously won't hurt us, so can't fault him on that front either.

Paragraph 2: Good point - I myself came here to mention it. Frankly, you can even consider Chad Henne a bit of a flop for us as well. Him slighting us was a disappointment all on its own. And ewwwwwwwwwww, we don't mention Anthony Morelli in this thread. Ever. You get off with a warning this time, good sir. For the record, that was the last time I'll be uttering his name as well.

Steagles87 wrote:
Lineman Tanner Hartman switches commitment from Maryland to Penn State.

Hartman is a mediocre recruit and an indefinite project. At 6'4", under 250 lbs., he's got a long way to go before he sees time, but apparently he possesses a nice frame. Regardless, his impact on-field may not compare to the impact he leaves on our appearance. The NCAA seeing us gain recruits despite our handicap -- and on a switched commitment no less -- really leaves a good impression on us and potential recruits. It's the start of, hopefully, a decent turnaround.

MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Pozluszny left State College in a league of his own. He's an all time great as far as Penn State linebackers go. Right up there with Ham, Arrington, Conlan, as ICE noted.

If there's one thing I can pride myself on, it's being able to predict "the next one" regarding PSU linebackers and when Mauti committed back in 2007 it was pretty obvious from day one. Obviously Mauti is an impactful player and when he leaves the school at the end of this season I think we can safely lump him in with outside 'backers like Sean Lee and Dan Connor who kicked inside later in their collegiate careers and really flourished.

Although he played a different position, I'd still say Navorro Bowman was the closest we've come, talent-wise, to Poz. Loved Navorro in Happy Valley - he flew so under the radar prior to getting his first real chance to start.

*******Ps. New thread is going to be up shortly. I've been swamped with work but I'll get it up today with a blank OP, which will be a short-term fix.

Please, feel free to throw out some ideas for the thread. After all, it's ours. Not mine.

--Joe Paterno.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: