Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings' new stadium architect chosen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22795
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Ellen Page not available?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skeet


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 1160
Location: Happy Valley
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iverson38 wrote:
ElReyDeLosReyes wrote:
Would of gone with Populous formerly known as HOK Sport.


+1

HKS and their giant barn designs can take a walk.


Agreed. I feel like HKS designs lack character. I like what HOK has done especially with baseball stadiums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73811
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeet wrote:
_Iverson38 wrote:
ElReyDeLosReyes wrote:
Would of gone with Populous formerly known as HOK Sport.

+1

HKS and their giant barn designs can take a walk.

Agreed. I feel like HKS designs lack character. I like what HOK has done especially with baseball stadiums.

big barn? lacking character?

not this conceptual design, playing off of winter themes and the Viking horn logo shape:


_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31144
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would become the coolest stadium in the league.

Twin Cities deserve a sweet design like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 47070
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trippy. Almost reminds me of the Sydney Opera House.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ugLymayNe


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 12548
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they going to pump crowd noise into this stadium aswell?
_________________
@PJHotel_
Uglystik1072<---Gamertag

Sig brought to you by Justo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Are they going to pump crowd noise into this stadium aswell?


As long as it's in the budget
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
starbarkc


Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 742
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of being there if you watch it on a huge screen floating above the field? Oh, wait, that was about Jerry, not the fans.

Populous did a great job with the Arrowhead/Kauffman remodels. Frankly I find the intervention at an all-time classic like Arrowhead way more interesting than the bulbous from scratch stadiums with the slick exterior shells we have been seeing lately. No Ford Field mention with those clunkers?

A retractable roof is a waste of money. Houston has perfectly fine weather during football season and tolerable for most of the rest of the year and they hardly ever open it. If they really want a fan experience, they should pay attention to the acoustics and they can derive a 'cool' form form that. With the cost of attending games, becoming part of the experience, that's what a stadium needs to get fans in the seats (aside from a decent team).
_________________
2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #87 Travis Kelce, TE
Rec:0/Yards:0/TD's:0/Avg per:0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skeet


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 1160
Location: Happy Valley
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Skeet wrote:
_Iverson38 wrote:
ElReyDeLosReyes wrote:
Would of gone with Populous formerly known as HOK Sport.

+1

HKS and their giant barn designs can take a walk.

Agreed. I feel like HKS designs lack character. I like what HOK has done especially with baseball stadiums.

big barn? lacking character?

not this conceptual design, playing off of winter themes and the Viking horn logo shape:



Still lacks character, they should draw inspiration from this timeless stadium:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeet wrote:

Still lacks character, they should draw inspiration from this timeless stadium:



I'll miss that place. The Vikings and Twins both had some great times there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers_52


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2219
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool but wouldn't there be a lot of snow buildup on some of those flat ones going across? The slanted ones it would probably slide off. Wouldn't collapse like the Metrodome but isn't the added weight a concern? Especially the wet heavy snow we get at times.

Edit: Second thought it might be too out there during the summer but if the snow was falling during winter it would look like a magical winter wonder land. Would be an awesome tv shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoneWithTheWind


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 1343
Location: Planet Namek
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a trippy roof but I love it. I can't say I know anything about the different contractors you guys are talking about but If thats what the outside looks like then I can't wait to see more designs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15038
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my choice, I would like to see the stadium built with an open roof and made to look like an old Viking style "colliseum" with great big columns shaped like swords running vertically along the sides of the building and sticking into the ground.

The top of the building would also feature be large torches, similar to the opening flame of the Olympics, but a lot bigger. Then, they could make a big ceremony out of lighting the Viking lanterns before every game, almost like the original Vikings might have done before going into battle.

Also, maybe have the walls - inside and outside, look like they are made of stone, and have big Viking shields and other weapons hanging on them to create the proper atmosphere.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Frank Costello


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 9349
Location: in 2009, Vikings>Saints
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:

The top of the building would also feature be large torches, similar to the opening flame of the Olympics, but a lot bigger.



I like that idea A LOT!!!
_________________
2014 - In Zimmer We Trust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73811
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
If I had my choice, I would like to see the stadium built with an open roof and made to look like an old Viking style "colliseum" with great big columns shaped like swords running vertically along the sides of the building and sticking into the ground.

The top of the building would also feature be large torches, similar to the opening flame of the Olympics, but a lot bigger. Then, they could make a big ceremony out of lighting the Viking lanterns before every game, almost like the original Vikings might have done before going into battle.

Also, maybe have the walls - inside and outside, look like they are made of stone, and have big Viking shields and other weapons hanging on them to create the proper atmosphere.

the only problem with this is that the legislature that passed the funding for the stadium wants it to be a multi-purpose one. not solely for the Vikes.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group