Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank The Top Five Defenses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 49ers
2. Texans
3. Seahawks
4. Cardinals
5. Falcons

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Have the Eagles really done enough to be top 10? They've conceded 22 PPG against 2 very modest offences + the Ravens... Admittedly I haven't seen them play much so hopefully someone can enlighten me!

The defense has actually given up about 19 ppg....the offense has given up 2 tds actually on turnovers that were taken back for TDs

and considering how many other turnovers there have been....it's even more impressive.

I'd like to see a stat for all teams that subtracts non-defensive TDs given up and includes the offenses turnovers. For example, the Bears have given up 12 PPG once you subtract a pick 6 and a special teams TD, despite Jay throwing an additional 5 picks.

You'd think that statisticians would be logical enough to formulate points per game allowed by only points actually given up by the defense.

Why?

PPG is a team stat. Not a defensive stat. The TEAM gave up the points. If you want to just look defense you have to do some basic math. Oh the humanity.

If PPG is a team stat, why do people use it as one of the biggest determining factors in judging a team's defense? Don't you just love shoving your foot in your mouth? Even mods do it every now and then, it's ok.

Lol yeah so I should take the time and go through every single team's game results to calculate how many points the defense gave up....It's so simple and isn't time consuming at all!

Sorry some of us don't have enough free time like you do to do menial things like that when there are supposed to be professional football statisticians out there to give us those stats.

But by all means, continue with your condescending remarks. Go ahead and do me a favor and go through every team's schedule this year and determine their defense's actual PPGA for me. It's obviously so simple like you said, so it shouldn't be a problem for you Laughing

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

If PPG is a team stat, why do people use it as one of the biggest determining factors in judging a team's defense? Don't you just love shoving your foot in your mouth? Even mods do it every now and then, it's ok.

Lol yeah so I should take the time and go through every single team's game results to calculate how many points the defense gave up....It's so simple and isn't time consuming at all!

Sorry some of us don't have enough free time like you do to do menial things like that when there are supposed to be professional football statisticians out there to give us those stats.

But by all means, continue with your condescending remarks. Go ahead and do me a favor and go through every team's schedule this year and determine their defense's actual PPGA for me. It's obviously so simple like you said, so it shouldn't be a problem for you Laughing

Applause

The problem is not the math, it's that it's a small research project to calculate this stat for all 32 teams every week. Besides, we all have calculators on our desktops. Razz
P-52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Cowboys. Can't beleive I'm saying this. But our secondary is the strongest part of our team now. Shocked

how'd that work out for you last night?

Jim Harbaugh's reaction to bloody Ahmad Brooks' helmetless sack: “Loved it, loved it. Wish he would have come and wiped some on my cheek.”
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

Applause

The problem is not the math, it's that it's a small research project to calculate this stat for all 32 teams every week. Besides, we all have calculators on our desktops. Razz

It's actually not that hard...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania, where did anybody say it was difficult?

All I said was that it was tedious and menial, which it is. There are a ton of ridiculous and in depth statistics out there....Why should I have to use my free time to do that?

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

All I said was that it was tedious and menial, which it is. There are a ton of ridiculous and in depth statistics out there....Why should I have to use my free time to do that?

Quote:

Quote:
Go ahead and do me a favor and go through every team's schedule this year and determine their defense's actual PPGA for me. It's obviously so simple like you said, so it shouldn't be a problem for you

Both imply that it's not easy by using sarcasm. I simply showed you a way that literally takes less than 10 seconds per team. Hell, I could hand you all 32 teams in less time than it took me to write this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

Oh okay, thanks. I didn't know that NFL.COM had it laid out like that. I never said it was hard, just that I thought you would have to go through every box score for every team. The only thing is, that doesn't take into account other special teams TDs. But close enough.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Go ahead and do me a favor and go through every team's schedule this year and determine their defense's actual PPGA for me. It's obviously so simple like you said, so it shouldn't be a problem for you

Both imply that it's not easy by using sarcasm. I simply showed you a way that literally takes less than 10 seconds per team. Hell, I could hand you all 32 teams in less time than it took me to write this post.

Well, in all fairness, I also had no idea about this nfl.com thing either. So it's pretty obvious why I was saying it would be so time consuming.

That's nice. Then you should definitely go through and do every team since it is such a quick task to do..Because I still don't feel like doing it. it would definitely help us a lot in this discussion, and since it will only take you...5 minutes and 20 seconds.....you should definitely get on that.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

Applause

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go
That's not correct tho, the Bears D has only given up 17 pts in one game, yet they avg 17 ppg on that page. Unless I'm missing something. Also the Bears have only given up 3 receiving TDs on the year, (2 to Dal, 1 to GB) yet it shows 5.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revised after week 4

1. San Francisco 49ers
2. Chicago Bears
3. Houston Texans
4. Seattle Seahawks
5. Philadelphia Eagles

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
KingofSTATS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1. Texans
#2. 49'ers
#3. Seahawks
#4. Bears
#5. Cardinals

HM: Ravens, San Diego, Eagles and Vikings.

NFC is so defense heavy Shocked

How QB's Should Truly be Judged Smile
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rankings as of now....

1. Houston
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Arizona
5. Philadelphia

HM: Seattle

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Oh okay, thanks. I didn't know that NFL.COM had it laid out like that. I never said it was hard, just that I thought you would have to go through every box score for every team. The only thing is, that doesn't take into account other special teams TDs. But close enough.

It takes into account all TDs scored.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, in all fairness, I also had no idea about this nfl.com thing either. So it's pretty obvious why I was saying it would be so time consuming.

That's nice. Then you should definitely go through and do every team since it is such a quick task to do..Because I still don't feel like doing it. it would definitely help us a lot in this discussion, and since it will only take you...5 minutes and 20 seconds.....you should definitely get on that.

No thank you. I'm not the one who needs it. I showed you exactly how to do it, so if you want it, go for it. Teach a man to fish...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: