Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Scarlet Letter of A.S.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still let him walk and I certainly don't think it is worth it giving him a big, long-term contract. He has been solid so far this year, but I don't trust him to keep the pace and IMO will fall back to his usual level.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.

I agree.

Unfortunately, I think we will be reaching big time if thats the case. It is very unlikely that either Jarvis Jones or Mingo fall to wherever we are picking. And those two are really the only true OLBs that I have a first round grade on personally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the Spencer pick when he was drafted because I thought it was too high and haven't seen anything from him to change my opinion. Now, did Butler show that he sucks against the run...absolutely, but does that mean we should overpay to keep Spencer absolutely not.

Just because he is the second best OLB on this team doesn't mean he's any good. It just means we don't have a viable option on the roster. That's not Spencer fault, but it certainly doesn't change the way I see him.

All last night did for me was prove that we don't have a viable backup or defensive option if Spencer or Ware goes down.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
I hated the Spencer pick when he was drafted because I thought it was too high and haven't seen anything from him to change my opinion. Now, did Butler show that he sucks against the run...absolutely, but does that mean we should overpay to keep Spencer absolutely not.

Just because he is the second best OLB on this team doesn't mean he's any good. It just means we don't have a viable option on the roster. That's not Spencer fault, but it certainly doesn't change the way I see him.

All last night did for me was prove that we don't have a viable backup or defensive option if Spencer or Ware goes down.

It would be a massive overreaction to assume that the basis of this thread is because of last night.

It's the bye week. This has been an on-going topic.

Spencer is playing for his career here - or elsewhere.

But do you really think he is bad?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

It would be a massive overreaction to assume that the basis of this thread is because of last night.

No, I don't think he is bad. I think he is solid. My problem is that we have accepted that solid is good enough and haven't tried to upgrade that position or have a plan in case either Spencer or Ware went down.

Spencer is far from the worst OLB in the league. I'd put him in the top 20, but just like any fan I want a steak on every plate and a pro bowler at every position. Is that unreasonable, sure...and.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
superfly3176

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's our cap situation look like? Who do we have to resign coming up?

I'd say 6-7 million a year would be fair.
agentX16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be a desperate team out there who's going to pay this guy way more than what he's worth and regret it. I really hope it's not the Cowboys. He's not "figuring it out." It's a contract year. The dude is in his physical prime. This is the best you're gonna get. Then, after someone pays him, he regresses to the mean. He's just not that good and you can pay as guy a whole lot less than he's going to get paid to be average.
JWingate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we allow Spencer to walk, which I hope we don't, Week 1 will be the moment everyone sees the impact he has on this defense.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

No, I don't think he is bad. I think he is solid. My problem is that we have accepted that solid is good enough and haven't tried to upgrade that position or have a plan in case either Spencer or Ware went down.

Spencer is far from the worst OLB in the league. I'd put him in the top 20, but just like any fan I want a steak on every plate and a pro bowler at every position. Is that unreasonable, sure...and.

I need some clarity.

1. You said we haven't tried to upgrade the position in case of injury. Can you elaborate?

2. Do you make the association for WOLB and SOLB or do you classify all OLB's together?

3. Laughing I mean yeah I would love to have an all-star team but I am glad we both accept that's not realistic.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agentX16 wrote:
There's going to be a desperate team out there who's going to pay this guy way more than what he's worth and regret it. I really hope it's not the Cowboys. He's not "figuring it out." It's a contract year. The dude is in his physical prime. This is the best you're gonna get. Then, after someone pays him, he regresses to the mean. He's just not that good and you can pay as guy a whole lot less than he's going to get paid to be average.

There is a very good chance he could make top-end dollar in Free Agency given that I believe he will be the top-billed 3-4 OLB in Free Agency.

So, it's a fair association to make that if his value to the team is lower than the value of the free market, then we will have to look elsewhere.

As such, where do you look? Spencer is gone - Boom. What do you, agentX16 do to address the OLB spot?

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
If we allow Spencer to walk, which I hope we don't, Week 1 will be the moment everyone sees the impact he has on this defense.

So would you keep him at all costs?

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysmyboy31 wrote:
I would still let him walk and I certainly don't think it is worth it giving him a big, long-term contract. He has been solid so far this year, but I don't trust him to keep the pace and IMO will fall back to his usual level.

So Spencer walks. Who would you want as out other OLB spot? Wilber? Draft someone? If drafting someone, how high of a pick would you spend? Do you re-sign Butler?

In Redball I Trust!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, he was in a contract year last year too. Why is he putting it together this year, but not last year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
JWingate wrote:

So would you keep him at all costs?

I wouldn't keep him at all cost but I would give him around 7-8 mil a year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: