Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The anti-David Veikune award
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best pick since 1999
Joe Thomas
73%
 73%  [ 30 ]
Trent Ricardson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joe Haden
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
D'Qwell Jackson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Daylon McCutcheon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anthony Henry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Andra Davis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ahtyba Rubin
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Billy Winn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joshua Cribbs
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

pmk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just amazed Haden only has 3 votes. I guess people were quick to forget how controversial that pick was. Don't get me wrong Thomas is a great player and if he can keep it up for another 10 years he's HOF bound but CB > LT in terms of importance imo and Haden's level of play has been on par with Thomas. Throw in that Haden had way more question marks as a prospect and I am surprised to see Thomas running away with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
I'm just amazed Haden only has 3 votes. I guess people were quick to forget how controversial that pick was. Don't get me wrong Thomas is a great player and if he can keep it up for another 10 years he's HOF bound but CB > LT in terms of importance imo and Haden's level of play has been on par with Thomas. Throw in that Haden had way more question marks as a prospect and I am surprised to see Thomas running away with it.

I wouldnt be surprised if his recent four game suspension has something to do with it, at least subconsciously. It's difficult to be stoked for a player when it's easy to look at his actions possibly costing us a game or two. Is that an unbiased, objective, or fair way to look at the poll? No. But like I said, I'm sure some people don't even know they're stearing away from being objective. Had we just come off a game where Haden had a pick 6, I'm willing to bet the poll would be more skewed in his direction.
pmk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
pmk wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if his recent four game suspension has something to do with it, at least subconsciously. It's difficult to be stoked for a player when it's easy to look at his actions possibly costing us a game or two. Is that an unbiased, objective, or fair way to look at the poll? No. But like I said, I'm sure some people don't even know they're stearing away from being objective. Had we just come off a game where Haden had a pick 6, I'm willing to bet the poll would be more skewed in his direction.
Yah that's a great point and you're probably right. While it should have some impact (character does matter when drafting) I think it's overblown in the long run when looking at how great of a pick Haden was. Thomas was a slam dunk pick (Robert Gallery concerns aside) and Haden had some question marks which is why I see Haden as the better selection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:

Eh, you're going a bit overboard on Haden, imo. I disgaree with the bolded. JT has had a substandard start to the year (for his standards), but he is a better player than Haden. The fact that he rarely, if ever, gets help with the stud pass rushers he faces is a testament to his greatness. Haden is great, but not elite (at least not yet). Thomas is elite and has proven it over several years.

You're right that the Haden pick was not universally loved at the time, but it's not like the alternatives were horrible. We'll never know where Earl Thomas was on our big board, but he was rumored to be very high on it. He would've been almost as good a pick as Haden.

Joe Thomas for me.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: