Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Forget the hot seat; Jeff Tedford needs to be CANNED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvmyraiderz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Forget the hot seat; Jeff Tedford needs to be CANNED Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard that the Cal alumni haven't mustered sufficient anger to force a coaching change and that the university wouldn't consider buying out Tedford's contract, paying him some $2.8 million annually through 2015. But that's not what I was hearing Saturday.
Before the game, I visited a tailgate party full of wealthy, influential alums. One of them, particularly well-connected and in the know, cast a grim outlook on Tedford's future. He asked not to be quoted by name, and that's always an unsatisfying experience for the reader, but there are times when off-the-record comments reflect the tone of a crisis, and that could well be the case here.
"I'm the last one off the bus when it comes to (firing) Tedford," he told me. "But we have to move on. His game management has been awful. I mean, that 4th-and-1 call at Ohio State (opting for a field goal) when we'd already racked up 500 yards! I like the guy, personally. This beautiful new stadium doesn't get done without him. But it's so frustrating. If this doesn't turn around, I really think they'll buy him out. I'm predicting that if we finish under .500, he's gone."
A .500 record would be considered an outright triumph at this point. So would a bowl game, which would require five wins in the next seven games. It all seems a bit far-fetched just now in Strawberry Canyon, land of gorgeous views, a handsome venue and fallen expectations.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/college/jenkins/article/Latest-letdown-turns-up-heat-on-Tedford-3905721.php#ixzz27wepXdr0

Enough is enough. Get him out of here. Sure, he's completely turned the program around, and there would be no beautiful stadium without him. But college football isn't about loyalty, it's about rose bowls. It's about accountability. Cal has all of the peices in place to be a recruiting powerhouse on the west coast and an occasional rose bowl guest, besides a half decent head coach.

Raiders-Athletics-Warriors-Golden Bears-Fighting Irish
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is be careful what you wish for. Cal has had a record of .500 or below just once under Tedford while they have 2 10+ win seasons and 6 8+ win seasons. Prior to Tedford, they had 1 10 win season in 1991 and then you had to go back to 1949 for their last 10 win season before that.

Everyone thinks they have "all the pieces" to make the next step and often, they don't. Often, that coach was the one keeping them at that level. Occasionally, you'll have a situation like Florida but that isn't exactly the norm.

It very well could be Tedford's time to go. Maybe he has reached his ceiling and he's getting stale. But fair warning, you can and very well could hire someone much worse than him. So as always be careful what you wish for. While 7 to 8 wins a year isn't great. It's better than 3 wins a year. I mean look at the difference coaching made with Arkansas. With Petrino, they're a top 10 team. With John L. Smith, they're getting blown out by all decent competition and losing to teams like ULM.

So there's a lot of risk involved in a move like that.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
TheGoldenChild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
All I have to say is be careful what you wish for. Cal has had a record of .500 or below just once under Tedford while they have 2 10+ win seasons and 6 8+ win seasons. Prior to Tedford, they had 1 10 win season in 1991 and then you had to go back to 1949 for their last 10 win season before that.

Everyone thinks they have "all the pieces" to make the next step and often, they don't. Often, that coach was the one keeping them at that level. Occasionally, you'll have a situation like Florida but that isn't exactly the norm.

It very well could be Tedford's time to go. Maybe he has reached his ceiling and he's getting stale. But fair warning, you can and very well could hire someone much worse than him. So as always be careful what you wish for. While 7 to 8 wins a year isn't great. It's better than 3 wins a year. I mean look at the difference coaching made with Arkansas. With Petrino, they're a top 10 team. With John L. Smith, they're getting blown out by all decent competition and losing to teams like ULM.

And here lies the problem with Cal's football program. Since their last 10 win season in 2006, Cal is 36-28, having gone 7-6 or worse in three of the five subsequent seasons.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! He needs to stay!

Adopt-A-Duck
Byron Marshall: 168 carries, 1038 yds, 14TDs, 13 rec, 155 yds
Thomas Tyner: 115 carries, 711 yds, 9TDs, 14 rec, 124 yds
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: 84 tackles, 9 PD, 3 INT
luvmyraiderz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

yeah, i know we were the laughing stock of the pac10 before he showed up and turned the program around. but fact is, that was almost 15 years ago. with the record he's had the past what? 3 seasons? he would have already been sent packing anywhere else in the country. i just feel like we'd be better off with someone fresh and hey, maybe we hit it big? if not, how much worse can it be than the last few years with tedford? not much.

Raiders-Athletics-Warriors-Golden Bears-Fighting Irish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I mean look at the difference coaching made with Arkansas. With Petrino, they're a top 10 team. With John L. Smith, they're getting blown out by all decent competition and losing to teams like ULM.

That would be a home run hire there. Good thing they will stick with Tedford. Laughing

Sig bet
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvmyraiderz wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

yeah, i know we were the laughing stock of the pac10 before he showed up and turned the program around. but fact is, that was almost 15 years ago. with the record he's had the past what? 3 seasons? he would have already been sent packing anywhere else in the country. i just feel like we'd be better off with someone fresh and hey, maybe we hit it big? if not, how much worse can it be than the last few years with tedford? not much.

And that's where you're wrong. If the coach before Tedford proved anything, it can be much worse. So if you guys are hiring a coach, you better make sure you get a damn good one. Laughing

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not a Tedford fan, but I think it would be a mistake to can him. All you have to do is look north to Washington and Wazzu to see what happens when you fire a coach just because he plateaued. They've both been virtually irrelevant since Lambright and Doba were let go for not having nearly as much success as Don James and Mike Price had.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I'm definitely not a Tedford fan, but I think it would be a mistake to can him. All you have to do is look north to Washington and Wazzu to see what happens when you fire a coach just because he plateaued. They've both been virtually irrelevant since Lambright and Doba were let go for not having nearly as much success as Don James and Mike Price had.

But what happens when lousy hires plateau? Just ask Lambright or Doba. Their plateau was the floor.

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 w/ thrILL! & Willink
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
disaacs wrote:

But what happens when lousy hires plateau? Just ask Lambright or Doba. Their plateau was the floor.

But, their plateau was higher than any of the guys that succeeded them (outside of Neuheisel, who cheated his way to success).

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: