Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will AJ Green surpass Megatron
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Will AJ Green surpass Megatron Reply with quote

A couple years ago...Calvin Johnson was a great young receiver who was highly touted coming out of school and who many thought had the potential to be the best in the business at his position. It took him a few years, but he not-so-quietly burst onto the scene in 2011 and cemented himself as the consensus number one wide receiver.

However, there is a similar receiver in AJ Green. Green isn't quite the physical specimen that Megatron is, but he has all the tools you want in a receiver. Green was also very hyped coming out of school, and was the #4 pick out of Georgia. He came into 2011 and had an amazing rookie season, a rookie season that was better than Megatron's was. Many thought he had the potential to be the best as well coming into 2012.

Now, Green looks to be exploding this year just as Calvin did in 2011. He is the MVP of the 3-1 Bengals, and is just dominating defenses despite being the sole focus of their gameplans. Obviously we cannot say whether or not Green will continue to dominate like this, but there's no reason to think he can't. He could very well have a 1600 yard 14+ touchdown season.

At this point in his career, Green looks like he is actually the more fundamentally sound receiver than Megatron is. He appears to be the total package.

My question is: Do you think that AJ Green will be the best WR in the game after this season? If no, then why not? What kind of season will it take for him to surpass Megatron? Is it possible this season, or do we need to see him do it for another year?

My answer is obvious...I think he will be the best WR in the NFL at the end of 2012. I believe that we'll be talking about Green the way we did about Megatron after last season.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, his lack of size and the fact that he's no where near as good after the catch as Megatron is an automatic no. Megatron is probably faster too. and stronger.

After this season, Megatron would probably be 1 of very very few receivers I would take over Green however.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a few years down the line he be the number 1 WR in the league, but after this season I would still pick Megatron over any WR.

^ Megatron ran a faster 40 yard than Green, regarding speed.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Titans_31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think aj green will take over as the number one wideout not this year but probably next year or the year following.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
In my opinion, his lack of size and the fact that he's no where near as good after the catch as Megatron is an automatic no. Megatron is probably faster too. and stronger.

After this season, Megatron would probably be 1 of very very few receivers I would take over Green however.

Uhhhhhh....

Green is 6'4 210 lbs. He is no Megatron...but Megatron is a physical freak. He is a tiny bit skinny for his height but I don't see how that would hold him back..Dude has never had an issue with his size in his college and NFL career

What "lack of size" are you referring to?

Also, Green has 107 yards after the catch this year, compared to Megatron's 87.

People don't realize that Green is actually very, very quick. Dude is pretty good after the catch

Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Uhhhhhh....

Green is 6'4 210 lbs. He is no Megatron...but Megatron is a physical freak. He is a tiny bit skinny for his height but I don't see how that would hold him back..Dude has never had an issue with his size in his college and NFL career

What "lack of size" are you referring to?

Also, Green has 107 yards after the catch this year, compared to Megatron's 87.

People don't realize that Green is actually very, very quick. Dude is pretty good after the catch

All of this is compared to Megatron. So yes, he has "lack of size" compared to Megatron. You asked if he could over take Megatron. So in the comparision, I'm not going to subtract the fact that Megatron was blessed with great size while Green was not. and those 20 yards after the catch could be the difference of 1 deep pass. If I were to throw a slant or screen to either of them, hoping to create after the catch, you mean to tell me you would take Green over Megatron? Laughing

I'm not downgrading Green at all, I'm just looking at all the things Megatron has over Green. Which was the point of your post when you asked if Green could be better than Megatron. I pointed out why I don't think so.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think Green won't be as good as Calvin because Calvin is bigger and runs better after the catch?

Ok...

tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ Green's a heck of a wide reciever, but I think he needs a few more seasons of being a dominant reciever before he is called the #1 reciever in the game.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
AJ Green's a heck of a wide reciever, but I think he needs a few more seasons of being a dominant reciever before he is called the #1 reciever in the game.

This.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:

An automatic no? Jerry Rice has a lack of size and is not really close to CJ after the catch either. Megatron is obviously faster and stronger than Jerry as well.

What say you?
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

An automatic no? Jerry Rice has a lack of size and is not really close to CJ after the catch either. Megatron is obviously faster and stronger than Jerry as well.

What say you?

So Green is just as good as Jerry Rice now? Laughing

What makes Jerry Rice better than Megatron is he did everything at an elite level. He didn't NEED the size and had YAC ability. Green doesn't do everything at the elite level of Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice never had timed speed but he sure as hell had game speed. For all we know, as long as Megatron stays healthy, the only thing that might/could/possibly seperate Megatron and Rice are Rings by the time Megatron retires. I'm NOT saying it will happen. I'm saying it's possible.

The only thing Green MIGHT have over Megatron are hands and that is very very debateable.

Hands? Megatron.

Route Running? Megatron.

In Traffic catch? Megatron.

Red Zone? Megatron.

YAC Ability? Megatron.

Size? Megatron.

Game Speed? Megatron.

Last edited by Russell2Bailey on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
So you think Green won't be as good as Calvin because Calvin is bigger and runs better after the catch?

Ok...
And maybe the fact that he does everything that is asked as a receiver better than Green? I thought everyone else already knew this so I wouldn't have to go into detail.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Green a couple more years and maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could, but its a tall order(pun totally intended, suck it).

Megatron has a few things outside of the players in his favor:

Friendlier division as far as defenses go
Stafford is well ahead of Dalton
Abysmal run game forces Detroit to lean heavily on the pass(bengals run offense isn't all world, but better than DET)

Green is immensely talented, and if Calvin wasn't around he would be THE guy very soon.

Calvin has once in a lifetime physique, a great work ethic, no off field issues, and seemingly a great team mate. Green could surpass him, but Calvin won't make it easy.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green is significantly quicker and lighter on his feet than calvin. Green runs better underneath and mid range routes.

Greens already better overall. IDK if he is quite as dangerous as Calvin, though.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: