Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JPN 1st Qtr Mock 10.4.12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: JPN 1st Qtr Mock 10.4.12 Reply with quote

This mock is kind of geared for a mid round selection with a mind set of a variation defense of a 4-3/3-4 defense. My major concern is always talent & talent mismatches over perceived need. I know most wont like the idea of the 1st pick, but if you could get JJ Watt would you take him, he has that kind of potential/effect on a game.

1. Joe Kruger - DE-Utah - 67 280

Kruger is a player in the mold of JJ Watt. He constantly causes pressure, and has a nastiness. He's going under the radar at the moment but often outshines the other Star on the team. Check out tonight's USC vs Utah game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3Z8ntZ0gU

2. Sean Porter - LB - Texas A &M - 62 230

Porter could very likely go much higher if a team takes a chance on his "quickness". Truthfully I'm not a fan of his potential as a 3-4 OLB as much as I am of what I now see for potential as an ILB or possibly a 4-3OLB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUlsnuwLGc

3. Mike Mauti - LB - Penn St- 62 232

As a PSU alum I often find myself being highly critical of PSU players. This time however I'm biting on Mauti, even just for his performance last Saturday vs Illinois. Quite honestly the thing I liked most about it was his coverage on punts. The star/captain linebacker hustling down on punts as if he was a freshman trying to make the team, not to mention all the other stand out things he did and has done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71BWyDD6Jk8

4. DJ Swearinger - S - South Carolina - 60 210

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zzy5UTdmWY&feature=fvwrel

He may be more of a SS candidate but when I first saw him play I was thinking who is this linebacker? Then I saw him lined up at corner vs the teams #1 or even #2 receiver either way it was vs and SEC team and I was like what? He is an intriguing player to watch and even more so love the fact that he is a leader and a bit crazy.

5. Joseph Fauria - TE - UCLA - 67 255

I bet the knock on Fauria will be about his blocking. I had some impressions of that early but I have seen more good than bad. Regardless Im more concerned with the fact that he can separate in tight quarters and is a hands catcher. His blocking is capable of as good or better than just about any of our current TE's with room to grow. Also has been an asset as far as Special Teams blocks etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xazpvM4TQ

6. Isi Sofele - RB - California 58 205

This little guy plays big, Im surprised to see his ratings so low in other media sources, but really I laugh at a lot of things I see or dont see in the "top" sources. Tough enough between the tackles, he's everything we wish Rainey could be in the mismatch, passing and running game. He's a lot scarier in the open field. Don't let the height be a concern, he's 205 tough and durable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=SbpkOU-sG0w

7. Broderick Brown -CB - 58 185

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKNAKWh_ogk

This guy is sick and always makes plays. If not for height he'd be way up the boards. The play on youtube exemplifies his abilities, mindset and instincts.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Kruger is anywhere near Watt in terms of overall talent, even if they are similar types of players.

That being said, I cant see them spending another first on a player like that. If it was JJ Watt or a player similar, Id agree. And chances are, if that was/is the case. he would be drafted long before he fell to us. I dont see us picking higher than 16-18.

Anyway, its hard for me to like this draft at this point for the mere fact that I dont know what will be happening next year in terms of who our DC will be and what our defense will look like.

I do like the draft positionally and that its defense loaded. But in terms of the players, at this point....i dont really care for it.

Alot can and will change in the next 7 months though.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More so , just a draft to make you aware of some potentials. I don't want to compare him to Watt so much because Watt is more versatile but he does provide the same type pass rush/pocket push maybe even better. He's a junior and was a very disruptive force last year on the rotation opposite Lotulelei.

Just the concept that if you can get a disruptive force. I do have us figured in the 16-18 slot for this mock actually. I see Kruger in the 9-12 range, at max potential. I saw Watt as the #2-3 overall despite common perception that he was 10-12 range at best.

Tonight Utah vs USC, Id expect Star to have a good game as USC's center situation w/ or w/o Holmes can be ugly, Holmes has to be one of the slower Centers Ive ever seen get off the ball.

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since Porter is our second pick he will hang around a few years, making some noise in training camp, then finally be released since he couldn't develop into an NFL caliber player?

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
I guess since Porter is our second pick he will hang around a few years, making some noise in training camp, then finally be released since he couldn't develop into an NFL caliber player?

LMAO....yeah...we should trade our 2nd round picks every year, either to move up or move back....because they always seem to bust.

Im joking of course....but not really. Cool Crying or Very sad
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
More so , just a draft to make you aware of some potentials. I don't want to compare him to Watt so much because Watt is more versatile but he does provide the same type pass rush/pocket push maybe even better. He's a junior and was a very disruptive force last year on the rotation opposite Lotulelei.

Just the concept that if you can get a disruptive force. I do have us figured in the 16-18 slot for this mock actually. I see Kruger in the 9-12 range, at max potential. I saw Watt as the #2-3 overall despite common perception that he was 10-12 range at best.

Tonight Utah vs USC, Id expect Star to have a good game as USC's center situation w/ or w/o Holmes can be ugly, Holmes has to be one of the slower Centers Ive ever seen get off the ball.

you and me both, re: Watt.

However, unless we move on from LeBeau, we all know that a guy like Watt himself, let alone Kruger, would rot on the bench while he was deprogrammed and neutered
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauti has already had blown ACLs on both knees. Too much of a risk durability wise. I don't see him having a long career in the NFL.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Mauti has already had blown ACLs on both knees. Too much of a risk durability wise. I don't see him having a long career in the NFL.

This is what I was thinking as well. Talent is there but I would not take a chance on the injury history.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
whit09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I was for trading up for JJ Watt like the Steelers did with Polamalu. I argued he had Ngata-like potential. Everyone thought I was insane. He is now well on his way to fullfilling that.

I first noticed Joe Kruger in Pitt's 2010 season opener at Utah. He's a more complete D-Lineman than his brother Paul, I'd argue. However I'm still not sure if he's a lock for being a first rounder. Close, though.

On Mauti, I highly doubt he goes that early. Injury history, as had been said. Mauti is not even the best LB at PSU, that being Gerald Hodges. But, the guy does get better and better the more he's on the field, which is always a good sign for a pro career.

I'm a fan of DJ Swearinger, I think he would fit in perfect here, nasty suspension-worthy hits and all.

stillersenat wrote:

Haha...

Colbert just needs to stop reaching so much in round 2. The second round is for picking up guys that are really solid, but not quite round 1 talent, IMO.

Colbert thinks it's for gambling on players and hoping for a steal.

...Thanks to UofMfan909
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whit09 wrote:
Personally, I was for trading up for JJ Watt like the Steelers did with Polamalu. I argued he had Ngata-like potential. Everyone thought I was insane..

Not sure exactly where you are referring to here, but on this forum, I recall many Steeler fans here that liked him just as much as that, arguing that he was a more athletic version of Aaron Smith...which is basically right up there with Ngata, and there were many around this forum who felt similarly.

Also, the trading up thing is easier said than done, esepcially trading from pick 31. I wouldve been fine trading uo for him, but we got lucky in that deal with KC. Trading from pick 31 to top 15 isnt easy.
kysteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a trade up for Eric Reid or stay put and take Manti Te'o. As of right now at least...
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruger has a left foot injury for USC game Sad

I love how they call Holmes the best center. Its so funny how sheepish this ratings industry is. He's slow and exposes his pads. Cal figured him out horribly last year, the map is out there. Cal's two NT's gave him fits last year and demolished him and Barkley.

ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are DJ Swearinger will be a 2nd rd pick, i was hoping he woudl fly under the radar but as you said, to see him constantly cover the other team 1 or 2 is amazing.
snoopydawg44us

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next yr I dont care who we draft as long as its a ILB, OLB 1st, 2nd no special order I do like the Notre Dame ILB Teo
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopydawg44us wrote:
Next yr I dont care who we draft as long as its a ILB, OLB 1st, 2nd no special order I do like the Notre Dame ILB Teo

You dont map out positional selections like that. Its a recipe for failure. If it sets up that way...so be it. But 7 months before the next draft? No.

Teo IMO is pretty overrated. Thought so last year too. Not that I would hate the pick, but it depends where we draft.

I just hope the draft is defense heavy. Pretty evident age is catching up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: