Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peppers90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming.. Reply with quote

Been doing a lot of looking into upgrading my internet for Black Ops II. I'm going to a 30down/3up internet. I was at 20down/1.5up for MW3.

I know in CoD games especially the real factor is latency (PING). So I'm hoping upgrading my internet, which Insight will in turn upgrade my modem and router will improve my PING.

So what's everyone internet speeds and what have you found to be the ideal speed for your gaming experience?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming.. Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
Been doing a lot of looking into upgrading my internet for Black Ops II. I'm going to a 30down/3up internet. I was at 20down/1.5up for MW3.

I know in CoD games especially the real factor is latency (PING). So I'm hoping upgrading my internet, which Insight will in turn upgrade my modem and router will improve my PING.

So what's everyone internet speeds and what have you found to be the ideal speed for your gaming experience?

Mine is like 20/4 according to speedtest.net but I think Comcast does bandwidth throttling in Chicago so by the end of the month my connection is complete trash. 20/4 is good but like you said, it's all about the ping.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming.. Reply with quote

latinoaustino wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

Mine is like 20/4 according to speedtest.net but I think Comcast does bandwidth throttling in Chicago so by the end of the month my connection is complete trash. 20/4 is good but like you said, it's all about the ping.

What is considered a good ping? And how do you improve it?

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Peppers90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming.. Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

Anything under 30 is great. 30-50 is very good and should experience any lag. 51-70 is good. 70-90 is decent you could experience some lag. >90 you'll gonna have a lot of lag.

BTW Latino & JD when I had that 1 bar a couple weeks ago, my ISP was doing upgrades so it hurt my connection and had a 320 ping!!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssh connection excuses are for girls.

JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal Internet Speed for Gaming.. Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

Anything under 30 is great. 30-50 is very good and should experience any lag. 51-70 is good. 70-90 is decent you could experience some lag. >90 you'll gonna have a lot of lag.

BTW Latino & JD when I had that 1 bar a couple weeks ago, my ISP was doing upgrades so it hurt my connection and had a 320 ping!!! LOL

Just did a test.

13 ms!!!! Very Happy

But my room mate is gone. That changes things

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay for 7/1, and get around a 30 ms ping.

Ideal would be as high as you could get, but since most of us can't get/afford FiOs 200/50, really any download 20+ and upload 5+ is perfectly fine, shouldn't even be able to notice a difference in a game like COD higher than that.

And what you're describing with pings is in game ping. The ping you get on speed test is the ping to your ISP's nearest tower. For that, anything higher than 50 is really, really bad. As far as ping in video games, you're right, though you can maximize ping in games with server browsers (most PC games).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: