Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 29th pick, MINN selects - Harrison Smith [S] ND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:
I know it's a cliche to compare a white safety to another white safety, but similarities between Harrison Smith and John Lynch are incredible.

I can see it. Both are big time hitters, smart players and strong leaders. Another player I saw Smith compared to often was Eric Weddle.

Weddle seems like a fair comparison. I'd also like to think he compares a bit to Ryan Clark, who is a leader on his team (allthough it seems to go unnoticed because he plays next to Troy Polamalu), very smart man, and he can definitally hit.

I like that from my safety.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout his life, Vikings safety Harrison Smith has had his share of nicknames.

"H" -- that's the easy one. Or Harry, as teammate Chad Greenway now calls him. Once Smith had long hair, which led to his temporary identity as "Tarzan." On his arrival at Notre Dame in 2008, Smith was referred to as "Hayseed," because, in his words, "I was from the sticks in Tennessee."

But Vikings defensive coordinator Alan Williams may have found the most appropriate nickname: "The Eraser."

Williams borrowed that from mentor Tony Dungy. But it's exactly what he wants his safeties to be and what he's getting right now from Smith, a 23-year-old rookie who's more instinctive and fearless than most.

Williams: "He can erase some mistakes other people make. And that's been the biggest thing he's done."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172970211.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think that Harrison might be a candidate for DROY?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Anyone think that Harrison might be a candidate for DROY?

Not a chance. The award only goes to the rookie who either racks up the most tackles or records the most sacks.

Its rare for a DB to win it as DBs are almost always judged by Ints. Which is obviously not fair. Smith simply wont get opportunities to get many Ints. in this scheme.
D-Hemi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still Cant believe he got Ejected. I thought the ref was really physical when he was pushing Harrison back that Harrison probably thought it was another player
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:
I still Cant believe he got Ejected. I thought the ref was really physical when he was pushing Harrison back that Harrison probably thought it was another player

I love Smith's intensity, but he has to be able to turn the adrenaline down. If he is confusing refs as players, that is an issue. The ref has every right to get physical with a player to restore order, its unacceptable for Smith to react and push back.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:

Smith was looking straight at the ref for several steps. there is no way he could have thought it was another player. as soon as the ref touched him, he should have done what Greenway did last week after hitting Calvin - just put your hands up.

Frazier: "From everything I've been told, it was a justifiable ejection. You can't touch the officials, itís just not smart on our part doing that. We have to learn from that and it's just not smart, not smart football."

video at: http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=10475720#ixzz28ilT9HiG

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/339373-ejected-vikes-rookie-already-earned-salty-rep?sct=nfl_bf1_a5&eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI

Quote:
Having his game cut short made for a long day in Harrison Smith's world on Sunday. Smith was ejected in the second quarter of a 30-7 victory over the Tennessee Titans at Mall of America Field after he pushed back judge Steve Freeman after an interception by Antoine Winfield. ... Smith has played only five NFL games and already has earned a reputation for being salty. He nearly fought Percy Harvin the second week of training camp. He drew a $21,000 fine for an unnecessary-roughness penalty against San Diego in the preseason after the league ruled he struck a defenseless player in the head and neck area. He jarred the ball loose from Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson in the end zone last week on a blow to the gut.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
D-Hemi wrote:

I love Smith's intensity, but he has to be able to turn the adrenaline down. If he is confusing refs as players, that is an issue. The ref has every right to get physical with a player to restore order, its unacceptable for Smith to react and push back.

Just pointing out that, from a scientific point of view, this is impossible. Lol.

Your point stands, though, for sure. He has to know that as soon as he sees those stripes, he should step away and focus on the next play.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
D-Hemi wrote:

Just pointing out that, from a scientific point of view, this is impossible. Lol.

Your point stands, though, for sure. He has to know that as soon as he sees those stripes, he should step away and focus on the next play.

I think that is a figurative expression Wink
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's a smart kid, he'll learn.

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing him to tone it down is better than him needing to turn it up.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Needing him to tone it down is better than him needing to turn it up.

Absolutely. The Vikings' defense came off as soft and ultra-conservative last season; they look hungry and aggressive this go-'round. It is a change that has paid huge dividends.

Peppers90 on the sig.
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the titans game, PFF had smith as the 3rd ranked safety in the nfl this year.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: "We don't condone his behavior whatsoever. We have to do a better job in moments when that occurs of being able to walk away from the situation and not cost our team a penalty or a potential dismissal from the game."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/173224001.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: