Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders need draft Geno Smith, Bray, Or Matt Barkley next.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:
I made the thread about the QBOTF a few meeks ago becuase I had a feeling Reggie, and rightfully so, will be lookin to select his guy at QB with help from the staff. Carson is as good as gone imo. He costs too much, doesnt fit the system, and is simply not Reggies guy. The WC system requires a very specific QB to run it. I feel like Geno Smith would be a mistake becuase he comes from the Holgerson offense which is a product od Ok. St. That is a very QB friendly offense. That being said, Smith is running it perfectly right now, I just dont see him translating in the NFL.

I disagree. You can look at his arm and ability to make all the throws as positives for an NFL QB. He can fit the ball in a tight window with accuracy.

He's had count 'em, 28 incomplete passes through 4 games. That's damn impressive.

Again, we will see where that goes when he faces stouter defenses. Right now, he looks to have a pro ready arm. Athletic ability and above all else work ethic. The guy is a football junkie. That is invaluable.

+1

Dedication is very important for a QB, you know he will always strive to be better and wont settle.

As for WV's offense, its actually a variation of the Texas tech offense, which is scary considering that Texas tech has produced some of the greatest single-season's by a QB in college football history, yet none of them ever made it in the NFL. However, most college spread offenses use a lot of shorter routes. For example, when Michael Crabtree was at Texas Tech, the biggest knock on him was the fact that he never ran a full route tree. The variation that they use at WV incorporates more of a vertical passing game than that of Texas Tech. It gives Smith a chance to make throws that a lot of spread QBs never make in college.

What I like best about Geno Smith, is that he is already good on accuracy, footwork, and mechanics. If we draft him we dont have to wait a year or two for an NFL coach to change his throwing motion or footwork- two things that usually take rookie QBs a while to learn. I dont want any type of developmental QB, I dont want a guy with accuracy concerns. Smith has the touch, accuracy and zip to make any throw he needs to. The more I hear and the more I see, the more I really like this guy.

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?
ive seen this episode of super qb before.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
91jmay wrote:
You have one team to prove that and he has the majority of the last decade.

Starks numbers are below average.

He was number 1 rusher in the playoffs.

3.9 yards per carry is not "full tilt." Thats below average. Teams are good at running the ball when they average well over 4 yards, not just run the ball a ton to get volume yards with a low per carry average.

And FYI, Giants did not run the ball well during their playoff run last year:

vs ATL- 172 yards, 5.5 YPC
vs GB- 95 yards, 3.5 YPC
vs SF- 85 yards, 3.3 YPC
vs NE- 114 yards, 4.1 YPC

There was only one game where they ran the ball really well, and it was the first round. The next two games were awful, and the Super Bowl was OK, but definitely not "full tilt". To put those totals in perspective, if you compare each game to the 2011 regular season team rushing ranks per game, they would have ranked 1st, 29th, 32nd, and 17th. Aside from the first round, I'm not sure how you can say the run game is what led them to the Super Bowl, especially when you consider they also ranked dead last during the regular season.

In the playoffs the Giants rushed for 436 yards.

436 yards in 4 games? 109 yards per game is not even close to impressive. Nearly as unimpressive impressive is that they got that on 112 carries, an average of 4.1 YPC. They also only scored 2 rushing TDs. If you think 109 yards a game is good, that would have ranked them 21st last year. Also, 40% of those yards came in one game, the one fursthest from the Super Bowl, in a game which the defense didnt give up a single point (only score came on a safety). The next two games they were poor-below average at running the ball. In the Super Bowl they were average at it.

During the regular season they were the worst in the league, so you cant say the run game carried them to the playoffs. Half the playoff games they were bad at running the ball, so you cant say their run game carried them through the playoffs. In the Super Bowl they were OK at it, so you cant even say their run game won them the Super Bowl.

The run game was on fire in the Wild Card, but Manning also threw for 277 yards and 3 TDs, and the defense shut ATL out- that game was won, in order, by defense. Look at the last 3 games of that post season: Eli threw for 942 yards (314/game) and 6 TDs. The defense also allowed an average of 14 points in the playoffs. Sorry bro, but the run game had little to do with their regular season, playoff or Super Bowl success last year.

The Giants where the #1rushing team in the playoffs . How is that not good.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Dude, they were #1 in the playoffs in rushing yards because they played more games than anyone in the playoffs:

NYG- 4 games
NE- 3 games
HOU, SF, DEN, BAL- 2 games
PIT, CIN, ATL, DET- 1 game

Houston rushed for 319 yards in only two games. Thats 160/game compared to NYG's 109/game. NYG only ran for 117 more yards and they played twice as many games.

Go by rush yards per game and New York was 6th:

HOU- 160
PIT- 156
GB- 147
SF- 145
DEN- 137
NYG- 109

Of course they are going to lead the playoff teams in rushing yards, as they should in all categories, because as a Wild Card making it to the Super Bowl, they played more games than any other team... 2-4 times as many games as every other team, aside from NE.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that

Last edited by ZoomWaffle on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:
I made the thread about the QBOTF a few meeks ago becuase I had a feeling Reggie, and rightfully so, will be lookin to select his guy at QB with help from the staff. Carson is as good as gone imo. He costs too much, doesnt fit the system, and is simply not Reggies guy. The WC system requires a very specific QB to run it. I feel like Geno Smith would be a mistake becuase he comes from the Holgerson offense which is a product od Ok. St. That is a very QB friendly offense. That being said, Smith is running it perfectly right now, I just dont see him translating in the NFL.

I disagree. You can look at his arm and ability to make all the throws as positives for an NFL QB. He can fit the ball in a tight window with accuracy.

He's had count 'em, 28 incomplete passes through 4 games. That's damn impressive.

Again, we will see where that goes when he faces stouter defenses. Right now, he looks to have a pro ready arm. Athletic ability and above all else work ethic. The guy is a football junkie. That is invaluable.

+1

Dedication is very important for a QB, you know he will always strive to be better and wont settle.

As for WV's offense, its actually a variation of the Texas tech offense, which is scary considering that Texas tech has produced some of the greatest single-season's by a QB in college football history, yet none of them ever made it in the NFL. However, most college spread offenses use a lot of shorter routes. For example, when Michael Crabtree was at Texas Tech, the biggest knock on him was the fact that he never ran a full route tree. The variation that they use at WV incorporates more of a vertical passing game than that of Texas Tech. It gives Smith a chance to make throws that a lot of spread QBs never make in college.

What I like best about Geno Smith, is that he is already good on accuracy, footwork, and mechanics. If we draft him we dont have to wait a year or two for an NFL coach to change his throwing motion or footwork- two things that usually take rookie QBs a while to learn. I dont want any type of developmental QB, I dont want a guy with accuracy concerns. Smith has the touch, accuracy and zip to make any throw he needs to. The more I hear and the more I see, the more I really like this guy.

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?

Leach isnt the coach, but the dude is one of Leach's disciples. The difference though is that Texas Tech ran a typical college spread offense with a lot of crossing routes, slants, etc and not much deep. The WV variation is more of a vertical offense and it requires Smith to make a ton of different throws. Still, I'm cautious about any spread QB. I know some have succeeded, but more often than not, they dont. However, unlike Timmy Chain, Colt Brennan, Case Keenum, etc, Smith throws all the NFL routes, has terrific accuracy, and already has good mechanics, footwork, and throwing motion.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
I feel like raiders talk about how hard players work more than any other fan base. I think is the Russell effect.

Laughing Laughing

Do you blame us? After watching/hearing about that lazy clown work ethic is a key component to my draft picks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:

+1

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?

Leach isnt the coach, but the dude is one of Leach's disciples. The difference though is that Texas Tech ran a typical college spread offense with a lot of crossing routes, slants, etc and not much deep. The WV variation is more of a vertical offense and it requires Smith to make a ton of different throws. Still, I'm cautious about any spread QB. I know some have succeeded, but more often than not, they dont. However, unlike Timmy Chain, Colt Brennan, Case Keenum, etc, Smith throws all the NFL routes, has terrific accuracy, and already has good mechanics, footwork, and throwing motion.

This. Plus from the article posted, look at this quote:

Quote:
The man tasked with slowing him down this weekend, Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, after watching game film of Smith: "In the NFL, pro quarterbacks can throw you open. What's scary with Geno is he can do that with his third read."

Diaz is as talented a DC in college football you'll find. He sees NFL skill in Smith when breaking him down.

He has the ability to make all the throws and ability to read defenses. It's impressive seeing as his WRs are what 5'9" - 5'10"? He gets them the ball. imagine what he could do with a prototype NFL WR with a bigger catch radius.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
91jmay wrote:
You have one team to prove that and he has the majority of the last decade.

Starks numbers are below average.

He was number 1 rusher in the playoffs.

3.9 yards per carry is not "full tilt." Thats below average. Teams are good at running the ball when they average well over 4 yards, not just run the ball a ton to get volume yards with a low per carry average.

And FYI, Giants did not run the ball well during their playoff run last year:

vs ATL- 172 yards, 5.5 YPC
vs GB- 95 yards, 3.5 YPC
vs SF- 85 yards, 3.3 YPC
vs NE- 114 yards, 4.1 YPC

There was only one game where they ran the ball really well, and it was the first round. The next two games were awful, and the Super Bowl was OK, but definitely not "full tilt". To put those totals in perspective, if you compare each game to the 2011 regular season team rushing ranks per game, they would have ranked 1st, 29th, 32nd, and 17th. Aside from the first round, I'm not sure how you can say the run game is what led them to the Super Bowl, especially when you consider they also ranked dead last during the regular season.

In the playoffs the Giants rushed for 436 yards.

436 yards in 4 games? 109 yards per game is not even close to impressive. Nearly as unimpressive impressive is that they got that on 112 carries, an average of 4.1 YPC. They also only scored 2 rushing TDs. If you think 109 yards a game is good, that would have ranked them 21st last year. Also, 40% of those yards came in one game, the one fursthest from the Super Bowl, in a game which the defense didnt give up a single point (only score came on a safety). The next two games they were poor-below average at running the ball. In the Super Bowl they were average at it.

During the regular season they were the worst in the league, so you cant say the run game carried them to the playoffs. Half the playoff games they were bad at running the ball, so you cant say their run game carried them through the playoffs. In the Super Bowl they were OK at it, so you cant even say their run game won them the Super Bowl.

The run game was on fire in the Wild Card, but Manning also threw for 277 yards and 3 TDs, and the defense shut ATL out- that game was won, in order, by defense. Look at the last 3 games of that post season: Eli threw for 942 yards (314/game) and 6 TDs. The defense also allowed an average of 14 points in the playoffs. Sorry bro, but the run game had little to do with their regular season, playoff or Super Bowl success last year.

The Giants where the #1rushing team in the playoffs . How is that not good.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Dude, they were #1 in the playoffs in rushing yards because they played more games than anyone in the playoffs:

NYG- 4 games
NE- 3 games
HOU, SF, DEN, BAL- 2 games
PIT, CIN, ATL, DET- 1 game

Houston rushed for 319 yards in only two games. Thats 160/game compared to NYG's 109/game. NYG only ran for 117 more yards and they played twice as many games.

Go by rush yards per game and New York was 6th:

HOU- 160
PIT- 156
GB- 147
SF- 145
DEN- 137
NYG- 109

Of course they are going to lead the playoff teams in rushing yards, as they should in all categories, because as a Wild Card making it to the Super Bowl, they played more games than any other team... 2-4 times as many games as every other team, aside from NE.

You are right . My mistake.
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:

+1

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?

Quote:
The man tasked with slowing him down this weekend, Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, after watching game film of Smith: "In the NFL, pro quarterbacks can throw you open. What's scary with Geno is he can do that with his third read."

Diaz is as talented a DC in college football you'll find. He sees NFL skill in Smith when breaking him down.

He has the ability to make all the throws and ability to read defenses. It's impressive seeing as his WRs are what 5'9" - 5'10"? He gets them the ball. imagine what he could do with a prototype NFL WR with a bigger catch radius.

Geno actually sounds scary good. I feel like unless a team that already drafted a QB with their first pick like the Browns, Dolphins, or Colts he's gonna go #1 overall. Of course that depends on how he fares against good defenses.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:

Geno actually sounds scary good. I feel like unless a team that already drafted a QB with their first pick like the Browns, Dolphins, or Colts he's gonna go #1 overall. Of course that depends on how he fares against good defenses.

He's good. But not scary good. All college players have room to grow. But you have to like the head on his shoulders.

It's still early, but he's the type prospect your team either has a shot at or can swing a major trade with a team wanting your pick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:

+1

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?

Quote:

You guys can ohh and aww over Smith all you want to. I will reserve my opinion until after he plays a legitimate defense. Texas will be a tough test, and we will see I guess.

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Smith is only draftable if Greg Knapp is let go. It's important for a young QB's development to have stability at OC. I see their 1st round pick being on defense though.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Geno Smith is only draftable if Greg Knapp is let go. It's important for a young QB's development to have stability at OC. I see their 1st round pick being on defense though.

Knapp is highly regarded as a QB coach. Ask texans fans. We get it. You not like knapp. Your beating a dead horse at this point.

Also. My #1 QB is still Tyler Wilson. I rank him highest despite Arkansas struggles. He has all the tools you want. I like his arm a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Knapp is highly regarded as a QB coach. Ask texans fans. We get it. You not like knapp. Your beating a dead horse at this point.

Also. My #1 QB is still Tyler Wilson. I rank him highest despite Arkansas struggles. He has all the tools you want. I like his arm a lot.

Does Tyler Wilson remind you of Matt Ryan?
Totty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Does Tyler Wilson remind you of Matt Ryan?

Tyler Wilson is also my #1 choice ATM.

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are only 2 franchise qb's in this draft. Barkley and Geno. Never bought the Logan Thomas/Tyler Wilson/Tyler Bray hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:

You are right . My mistake.

Don't see too many people do that now-a-days. Props to you, sir.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: