Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Whats up with the lions and the saints?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
You didnt barely lose to SF and Minnesota.
Against SF you scored a td with a minute left to cut a 15 point lead down to 8 and against Min you scored a td with 2 minutes left to cut a 14 point lead down to 7. Neither game were you a real threat to win it

You did "barely" beat the Rams though

You do realize the Lions had cut it to a 1 score game with over 9 minutes left, but the defense couldn't get a stop, right? Yes, it would be kind of ridiculous to act like it was really close if they had only cut it to a 1 score game with less than 2 minutes left, but in reality they spent more time in the 4th quarter down by 1 score than 2. I wouldn't say they were a real threat to win, but it was closer than your comment makes it out to be.

Barely losing to me, means that you almost won. Neither game did they almost win. They just lost by 1 score. Using his logic, the 2011 Vikings barely lost in 10 of our 13 games.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Am I the only one who realizes that the Lions the week Prior gave up 44 points? 27 in week 2? The Lions are currently giving up 28.5 ppg, 5th worst in the league. They are 1 of only 2 teams w/o an INT, they've only created 3 TOs, hell they have only defended 11 passes, only 2 teams are worse. They are allowing 66% of passes to be completed against them and allowing 101.3 QBR. If you honestly believe that Detroit's D isn't a problem, what game are you watching?

21 of those 44 were not scored against the defense.

I think Detroit has a middle of the road defense. With an offense like they had last year they would be 301, even with the historically bad ST play.

How can they be a middle of the road defense? They were a horrific defense last year and they made no improvements this year. They just havent played any great offenses yet

"Horrific" last year?

They gave up less PPG and less YPG than the Giants defense. For most of 2011 they were good, if not VERY good.

People are letting three or four really bad games taint their perception.
nixa37

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
You didnt barely lose to SF and Minnesota.
Against SF you scored a td with a minute left to cut a 15 point lead down to 8 and against Min you scored a td with 2 minutes left to cut a 14 point lead down to 7. Neither game were you a real threat to win it

You did "barely" beat the Rams though

You do realize the Lions had cut it to a 1 score game with over 9 minutes left, but the defense couldn't get a stop, right? Yes, it would be kind of ridiculous to act like it was really close if they had only cut it to a 1 score game with less than 2 minutes left, but in reality they spent more time in the 4th quarter down by 1 score than 2. I wouldn't say they were a real threat to win, but it was closer than your comment makes it out to be.

Barely losing to me, means that you almost won. Neither game did they almost win. They just lost by 1 score. Using his logic, the 2011 Vikings barely lost in 10 of our 13 games.

That's perfectly reasonable. I was just pointing out it was unfair to only mention the final score with less than 2 minutes left when they spent most of the 4th quarter down by one score.
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Am I the only one who realizes that the Lions the week Prior gave up 44 points? 27 in week 2? The Lions are currently giving up 28.5 ppg, 5th worst in the league. They are 1 of only 2 teams w/o an INT, they've only created 3 TOs, hell they have only defended 11 passes, only 2 teams are worse. They are allowing 66% of passes to be completed against them and allowing 101.3 QBR. If you honestly believe that Detroit's D isn't a problem, what game are you watching?

I think Detroit has a middle of the road defense. With an offense like they had last year they would be 301, even with the historically bad ST play.

How can they be a middle of the road defense? They were a horrific defense last year and they made no improvements this year. They just havent played any great offenses yet

"Horrific" last year?

They gave up less PPG and less YPG than the Giants defense. For most of 2011 they were good, if not VERY good.

Are you being serious right now? Very Good?

They were 23rd in total yds/g
22nd pass yds/g
23rd in rush yds/g
23rd in ppg
22nd in opposing qb comp %
22nd in passing td's
30th in ypc (rb's averaged 5.0)

So pretty much they gave up alot of yards and points
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

"Horrific" last year?

22nd pass yds/g
23rd in rush yds/g
23rd in ppg
22nd in passing td's

They also had 34 takeaways. Good for 3rd in the league.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

"Horrific" last year?

22nd pass yds/g
23rd in rush yds/g
23rd in ppg
22nd in passing td's

They were a good defense until around week 10, when they started getting gouged by the likes of the Packers and Saints.
das8929

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured Stafford would regress from his ridiculous year but didn't think their defense regress as well. Fairley and Suh don't seem to be having the impact I thought they'd have.

^props to packerbacker87^
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

das8929 wrote:
I figured Stafford would regress from his ridiculous year but didn't think their defense regress as well. Fairley and Suh don't seem to be having the impact I thought they'd have.

Suh is still getting doubled up a ton freeing up the DE. His stats are not going to be sexy. He is a DT.

Stafford really hasnt regressed. Everyone around him has. His comp % is up. The Y/A are down some. His yards per game down just a touch.

His comp % is highest it has been.

Honestly most passing #s league wide dropped with replacement refs allowing WRs to be mugged etc.

Detroit also led league in drops last time I looked which really hurts his #s.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Every QB, except Brady, Ryan and Ben, has regressed in some way from last year.

Ponder has improved.
Here's a better way to put it, the stupid high passing #s have come back to norm. Passing defense is a machine. Everyone has to be where they are supposed to be for it to work, if one guy is out of position it allows a big play. What we've seen this year is fewer big plays down the field across the board. Its why the run game has had a big resurgence this year. Does anybody think its a coincidence that Bill Belichick fixed his run game this off season? He knew what was coming b/c he saw what was happening in the NFL last year.

Also in the first 3 weeks of the season the Rent-a-Refs were not calling defensive holding and letting DBs hit WRs past 5 yards. Those teams with precision throwing offenses were struggling while teams with great defenses and good running games were doing well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
TheMantobeat wrote:

I disagree with ur stafford analogy
...analogy? Neutral

my bad i meant analysis

2013 Adopt-A-Lion: #26 FS Louis Delmas: 16 Ts 2 Ints
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Every QB, except Brady, Ryan and Ben, has regressed in some way from last year.

Ponder has improved.
Here's a better way to put it, the stupid high passing #s have come back to norm. Passing defense is a machine. Everyone has to be where they are supposed to be for it to work, if one guy is out of position it allows a big play. What we've seen this year is fewer big plays down the field across the board. Its why the run game has had a big resurgence this year. Does anybody think its a coincidence that Bill Belichick fixed his run game this off season? He knew what was coming b/c he saw what was happening in the NFL last year.

Also in the first 3 weeks of the season the Rent-a-Refs were not calling defensive holding and letting DBs hit WRs past 5 yards. Those teams with precision throwing offenses were struggling while teams with great defenses and good running games were doing well.

This is what a lot of people fail to realize. A lot of offense are starting to come to life with real refs. They have to adjust back to the way game is usually called

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about the Saints, but the Lions very special teams have cost us at least 2 amazing chances for wins.

R.I.P. Stylish
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saints' defense is an abomination of the highest order. That entire unit is a turnstile on acid and speed.

Peppers90 on the sig.
y*so*blu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit was steadily improving before the '11 season. They scored some inspiring comeback wins early in Minny and Dallas; their hot offense and good schedule did the rest. I expect them to have a 7-9 or 8-8 season, develop their running game and secondary, and continue to improve next year.

The Saints were rocked by scandal, lost their HC and their D is failing to adapt to the new scheme. They don't understand that brutalizing opponents isn't always the way to go. IMO, that team is getting everything they deserve.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions' problem is quite simply that everyone on the team has performed terribly outside of Suh, Stafford, Levy, Sammy and Calvin. Stafford's numbers seem worse than they should because of drops, scheme and the lack of progression from any of our other receivers. Losing Best certainly hurt a ton as well. I've lost all faith in Pettigrew. Fairley does nothing for me. Our offensive line can't run block. Dom is finished. Peterman is one of the worst starting guards in the NFL. We have no interior push. Or DEs have been terrible. We can't create turnovers. We're starting a project CB as our #2 because of the loss of Wright and Berry. We have no decent safeties.

Factor in that we have some of the worst ST play in the last 10 years, and that should about sum it up. We're a bad team being carried by a few "superstars", and since the end of our fantastic start to last season, it just hasn't been enough to do anything of note whatsoever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: