Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers' O-line turning into strength of the offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: 49ers' O-line turning into strength of the offense Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-O-line-turning-into-strength-of-th?blockID=784431&feedID=5936

Quote:
Each of the 49ers' five starting offensive linemen is improved over a year ago and ranks in the top four at their respective positions in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus' rating system that takes into account pass protection, screen blocking, run blocking and penalties.

Right guard Alex Boone and right tackle Anthony Davis are second at their respective positions. Boone ranks ahead of Mike Iupati as a guard and behind only Baltimore's Marshal Yanda as the top guard in the NFL. Iupati is the highest-rated left guard in the league. Left tackle Joe Staley and center Jonathan Goodwin both rank fourth at their spots.

Quote:
Smith has been sacked 12 times in four games, but he has generally been afforded the time to throw from a clean pocket. Some of his sacks are from holding onto the ball and trying to extend the play.

Great to see these guys gelling together. I haven't watched many Packer games, but fans don't seem to be too happy with Bulaga right now and it looks like AD was the right pick. Also, I didn't expect Boone to look so good in his first year as a guard, the guy is a beast.

Last edited by SoCalNiner on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, especially in today's NFL, you can not expect perfection from the OL. Smith has sacrificed sacks for potential turnovers and I'm fine with it but he still has the ability to throw some of those passes away. The stats concerning allowed sacks looks much worse than the play of the OL. Hopefully we can keep it up for the entire season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best run-blocking group in the league, I am sure. Applause

If we are to applaud these OL for their "pass pro improvement".. which at times is fair... we should also make clear note that they have been greatly assisted by their QB.. who generally makes very quick throws after reading defenses. Those quick throws have helped our big boys a bunch... because when those quick throws don't come out? They generally fail to give more than 3 seconds.

It's a good start for sure. If we can teach our interior OL to zone block more efficiently.. and give Staley some help at times when facing the better pass rushers.. this OL can help take us to ring # 6... and THAT.. was my biggest concern heading into the season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy about this.
But I question the ranking system with it ranking staley and Goodwin so highly. Especially staley, he has been beaten badly a few times this year.
I love the age of our line too. A center and a tackle for depth and were set.

Hope these keeps up

new sig... sorry alex
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can run on pretty much anyone. I think the only team that would give us problems would be houston. maybe balt simply bc of ngata
sbrown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
I'm very happy about this.
But I question the ranking system with it ranking staley and Goodwin so highly. Especially staley, he has been beaten badly a few times this year. I love the age of our line too. A center and a tackle for depth and were set.

Hope these keeps up

This. Staley is not that high imo.

Also i was always told and coached that a QB gets 2.8 secs everything beyond that is up to the QB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers' O-line turning into strength of the offense Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-O-line-turning-into-strength-of-th?blockID=784431&feedID=5936

Quote:
Each of the 49ers' five starting offensive linemen is improved over a year ago and ranks in the top four at their respective positions in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus' rating system that takes into account pass protection, screen blocking, run blocking and penalties.

Right guard Alex Boone and right tackle Anthony Davis are second at their respective positions. Boone ranks ahead of Mike Iupati as a guard and behind only Baltimore's Marshal Yanda as the top guard in the NFL. Iupati is the highest-rated left guard in the league. Left tackle Joe Staley and center Jonathan Goodwin both rank fourth at their spots.

Quote:
Smith has been sacked 12 times in four games, but he has generally been afforded the time to throw from a clean pocket. Some of his sacks are from holding onto the ball and trying to extend the play.

Great to see these guys gelling together. I haven't watched many Packer games, but fans don't seem to be too happy with Bulaga right now and it looks like AD was the right pick. Also, I didn't expect Boone to look so good in his first year as a guard, the guy is a beast.

Nice article SC. Hard to see Staley and Goodwin as among the beswt at their positions. But they are playing well. AD has improved by leaps and bounds. And moving Boone to G has been (yet another ) stroke of genius by the coaching staff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: 49ers' O-line turning into strength of the offense Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice article SC. Hard to see Staley and Goodwin as among the beswt at their positions. But they are playing well. AD has improved by leaps and bounds. And moving Boone to G has been (yet another ) stroke of genius by the coaching staff.

Another reason as to why our coaches are good as they are. I remember many here wanting to kick AD inside and put Boone at RT. Who knows, it might have worked too, but it's hard to beat what we have on the right side now.

Honestly, I'm just happy that Goodwin hasn't been as big of a liability like last year. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Staley has the highest ratings in run blocking out of all the tackles according to PFF. Not a surprise, Staley has been a total beast when it comes to run blocking this year. His pass blocking has been lacking a little bit... with 5 sacks aloud by him so far. No other starting lineman besides Staley has even been accounted for allowing a sack this season. Cool

^Kempes^
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

If we are to applaud these OL for their "pass pro improvement".. which at times is fair... we should also make clear note that they have been greatly assisted by their QB.. who generally makes very quick throws after reading defenses. Those quick throws have helped our big boys a bunch... because when those quick throws don't come out? They generally fail to give more than 3 seconds.

It's a good start for sure. If we can teach our interior OL to zone block more efficiently.. and give Staley some help at times when facing the better pass rushers.. this OL can help take us to ring # 6... and THAT.. was my biggest concern heading into the season.
of course. The oline still doesn't get much credit from you. When you do give them credit you slight them by saying the QB makes them look good. Got it.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

of course. The oline still doesn't get much credit from you. When you do give them credit you slight them by saying the QB makes them look good. Got it.

These are the types of provocative posts we need to eliminate, because all it's going to do is create a war between two members. Debate the point, not the poster, please.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
John232

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Best run-blocking group in the league, I am sure. =D>

To an extent he is right. Although I wouldn't credit Alex, I'd credit Roman/Harbaugh for designing the scheme and Alex executing it. However, my counter point to that would be the hyper conservative nature of Alex does not do the O-line favors statistically. As we all know, Alex will take a sack 10/10 times rather then risk a turn over. That's a good thing most of the time(depending on the situation). It just makes the Lineman look worse then they are.

I will say this and I can't state this enough. The nature of being a Lineman sucks. You could dominate all but two of your snaps in pass protection. You let up a sack or two, you've had a "bad game". The way stats/fans assess lineman is often unfair. Staley has still been average this year, but in years previous he's been very good if not great. I'll give him some time to rebound before I jump on the switch to RT bandwagon.

Also, We often don't know how good a lineman is until we see them play for a couple years. We all know how good Anthony Davis is now because of how bad he was before. And in turn we know how freakishly good Staley was in pass protection in the past given on how much he's gotten beat this year compared to years past.

That said, 3/5 lineman exceedingly well. you could argue that Iuapati and AD are the best run blocking lineman in the league. I've not seen a guard open up the holes Iupati does since Larry Allen was on the team. And then you have AD who will eat your children and tweet about it. We got a mean line and I love it.

xsaMainevent on the sig
tiger9er08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

To an extent he is right. Although I wouldn't credit Alex, I'd credit Roman/Harbaugh for designing the scheme and Alex executing it. However, my counter point to that would be the hyper conservative nature of Alex does not do the O-line favors statistically. As we all know, Alex will take a sack 10/10 times rather then risk a turn over. That's a good thing most of the time(depending on the situation). It just makes the Lineman look worse then they are.

I will say this and I can't state this enough. The nature of being a Lineman sucks. You could dominate all but two of your snaps in pass protection. You let up a sack or two, you've had a "bad game". The way stats/fans assess lineman is often unfair. Staley has still been average this year, but in years previous he's been very good if not great. I'll give him some time to rebound before I jump on the switch to RT bandwagon.

Also, We often don't know how good a lineman is until we see them play for a couple years. We all know how good Anthony Davis is now because of how bad he was before. And in turn we know how freakishly good Staley was in pass protection in the past given on how much he's gotten beat this year compared to years past.

That said, 3/5 lineman exceedingly well. you could argue that Iuapati and AD are the best run blocking lineman in the league. I've not seen a guard open up the holes Iupati does since Larry Allen was on the team. And then you have AD who will eat your children and tweet about it. We got a mean line and I love it.

that's a very good point, alot of times when a player does well, we hear their names mentioned alot... for linemen its different, if we havent heard their name much that means they had a good day lol.

I also think Goodwin isnt that great, but if you look our record with him as our C... he's not hurting us to the point of losses, sure we could use an upgrade there... but lets not overreact that he's that bad of a center either.

Im also really glad to see Anthony Davis playing so well, him and Boone have that mean streak that I love to see in our OL =D
c0insnap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwin deserves credit. I know he's old and not the sexiest player in uniform, but he seems to have played really well so far. I'd be lying if I said I was re-watching games and specifically grading his performance, but I don't think he's been beat all year and he does a good job getting in the way of defenders in the run game.

Iupati really stepped up after a 'Meh' year. He's been dominant.

Boone has made a seamless transition to Guard... how great he's been.

Staley has given up some sacks but he's still really good in the run blocking area and probably the best Move lineman in the game.

Anthony Davis has been the MVP of the defense.

Very excited about this group...

Beast
oldtownniner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Goodwin deserves credit. I know he's old and not the sexiest player in uniform, but he seems to have played really well so far. I'd be lying if I said I was re-watching games and specifically grading his performance, but I don't think he's been beat all year and he does a good job getting in the way of defenders in the run game.

Iupati really stepped up after a 'Meh' year. He's been dominant.

Boone has made a seamless transition to Guard... how great he's been.

Staley has given up some sacks but he's still really good in the run blocking area and probably the best Move lineman in the game.

Anthony Davis has been the MVP of the defense.

Very excited about this group...
ok alittle lost here Laughing
man jim love playing players at 2 spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: