Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

La. Tech runs their offense thru their....CENTER?!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: La. Tech runs their offense thru their....CENTER?!?! Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--unconventional-attack--la--tech-runs-high-flying-offense-through-its-center--not-qb.html

Quote:

One of the most dynamic offensive players in college football has zero touchdowns, zero catches, zero rushes and zero yards.

He's a walk-on who says he got scholarship offers from "Louisiana College and Arkansas I can't remember the name of it."

He's the heartbeat of one of the most explosive teams in the country. And he spent his Thursday at a job fair hoping to make connections in the construction industry.

It's easy to laugh at the idea of Stephen Warner, offensive lineman, being a college football superstar, but his Louisiana Tech offense is the only one in the nation to score 50 or more points in each of its first three games. It's 17-for-17 in red zone scoring (with 16 touchdowns) and it has scored eight touchdowns in less than a minute.

And its MVP, Warner, is a center. But not just any center.

Warner calls the plays.

You read that right. Warner, a senior, doesn't just snap the ball and block. He gets the plays from the sideline, reads the defense, calls the blocking assignments and then barks the snap count. He might have the most unique job in college football.

"I'm not aware of any other offenses that are doing it right now," says Tech offensive coordinator Tony Franklin. And that seems clear from defenses' inability to react to it. Last week against Illinois, Tech scored 52 points and gained 403 yards, a season low for the 3-0 team. (And Tech hasn't played any FCS schools, either.)

Tech even has a play designed for when (not if) defenses get confused. Warner draws a pass rusher offside with a moderated cadence, and then when somebody jumps, he switches to a "Freeze" play where all the Tech receivers take off for the end zone. Free play, and sometimes free points. It worked like a charm against Illinois, though the play was called back because of a penalty. No matter; if you jump offside against Warner and Tech, be prepared to run down the field while the culprit of this sleight-of-voice trick watches in pride.

this center is around 6'/6'1 290-300. I think he would have a shot at the NFL. Good enough to be a three stater, has decent size, and is extremely smart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly why I want Sonny Dykes to be the next Colorado HC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That offense is so studly.

El Ramster on this beaut!
msuspartans#1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center is a very underrated position. I played Center my Senior Year in High School in a no huddle offense. Had to make every blocking call every play. Couldn't imagine reading the defense and calling every play in such a short time.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a boss.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I was just telling someone that someone other than QB should be the play caller in a huddle. Just to be unconventional. Laughing

Sig bet
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did this in high school.

EDIT: Tony Franklin is their OC. It's not Dykes. Franklin actually had a coaching camp thing were he sent assistants and himself to high schools to coach their offense and have their playbook. He went to HRVHS my freshman (I think he was Auburn's OC) year and I met him. Weird. Mad props to Franklin. Always liked him as a coach I just didn't know he was at Tech. Our QB has lead state in passing yards each year since he went to teach us his offense although our win/loss record hasn't been so great

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roommate last year told me he did something similar in high school. Amazing

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like it was at my high school then it's all no huddle, lots of screens, each player has a QB wrist band and the coaches do "color-number" from the sideline to call plays. Red/Trojan 24, Blue/Wolverine 7, ect. Alaska was a "we are just going to try to get the other team to jump offsides call" and all other states were passing run plays. Southern states were passing (Arizona, Texas, Florida), Northern states were runs (Michigan, Oregon, New York). Can't tell you how many times freshman year the geography plays messed with our offensive line Laughing I think I was the only kid that actually knew where states were

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: