Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Activate Mike Neal, Cut Phillip Merling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Now it's time to see what Neal can do with the other young rushers, starting tomorrow!
I can't wait to see what the rotation is like. From what I've seen by Worthy, when he's fresh, he's better. Problem is that Worthy is a total effort/snap jumper from what I've seen. Dude can't be in there too long without losing a step or two.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
stu29er wrote:
I think it will be Brandon Saine to be cut or Lattimore to IR. For Saine, why keep 4 rbs when we can barely get 1 rb 15 carries. Lattimore to IR makes sense. Just my thoughts.

Saine cut is the highest probability to me. (Unless he is playing teams a lot...haven't been paying attention to that...)

Either that or IR one of or injured. Possibly for the designated to return label. Would put them out for 6 weeks (i think) and they could be back in time for the end of the season.

Saine has been playing a lot of ST. Evidently it was Merling who got the pink slip.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Interesting little tidbit I just found. I thought the reason why we might have kept Merling over Muir is he might be cheaper if we were to cut either of them post 53. Not true. They had the same contract amount. My hunch as wrong. However, while looking to try and find the value of Muir's contract, I came across this little nugget.

Quote:
Wilson also reports that Muirís contract will count for just $540,000 against the Packers cap next season if he remains on the roster. Thatís because his contact is eligible for the minimum salary benefit, which allows teams to pay a higher amount of cash up front but at a lower salary cap hit. It only applies for veterans making the minimum, and Muirís deal in Green Bay fits under the description.

Merling's deal would fit that same description, in which case his cap hit would only be 540,000, not 700,000. Curious if that was built in because the team knows they were going to cut Muir or Merling for Neal once his suspension is done.

Is Muir playing for anybody else right now?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
Interesting little tidbit I just found. I thought the reason why we might have kept Merling over Muir is he might be cheaper if we were to cut either of them post 53. Not true. They had the same contract amount. My hunch as wrong. However, while looking to try and find the value of Muir's contract, I came across this little nugget.

Quote:
Wilson also reports that Muirís contract will count for just $540,000 against the Packers cap next season if he remains on the roster. Thatís because his contact is eligible for the minimum salary benefit, which allows teams to pay a higher amount of cash up front but at a lower salary cap hit. It only applies for veterans making the minimum, and Muirís deal in Green Bay fits under the description.

Merling's deal would fit that same description, in which case his cap hit would only be 540,000, not 700,000. Curious if that was built in because the team knows they were going to cut Muir or Merling for Neal once his suspension is done.

Is Muir playing for anybody else right now?

Nope.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
jmoney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Neal is what he was, he and Worthy could make a pretty sick rush combo coming up the middle.

Pickett-Raji-Wilson in the base
Raji-Pickett in the run-down nickel
Worthy-Neal on rush downs
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tells me that Neal will be on the active roster right away too, otherwise they could have waited until Monday to make this transaction. This is the first time he's been completely healthy for a regular season game, so let's hope he can show the same on-field ability that he did on a few occasions when he was healthy in the pre-season.
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
This tells me that Neal will be on the active roster right away too, otherwise they could have waited until Monday to make this transaction.

Yup yup. I would assume Daniels is the one not making the 45 this week.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
This tells me that Neal will be on the active roster right away too, otherwise they could have waited until Monday to make this transaction.

That or they feel Neal > Merling even in a reserve role.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucknorris101 wrote:
justo wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

They could have made that decision at a later time if they didn't plan on having Neal on the active 45 tomorrow. Even if they wanted him on the 53 they could have waited. Neal is going to end up playing and that's probably going to push the weakest link on the DL out which is Daniels
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
chucknorris101 wrote:
justo wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

They could have made that decision at a later time if they didn't plan on having Neal on the active 45 tomorrow. Even if they wanted him on the 53 they could have waited. Neal is going to end up playing and that's probably going to push the weakest link on the DL out which is Daniels

Exactly. Daniels has looked pretty good too. If Neal shows something I actually like where this unit is heading.
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
Daniels has looked pretty good too.
Looked solid last game. Before that I under sold him a bit.. Hopefully Neal coming back doesn't stunt his growth
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Neal plays up to his potential, who is a comparable player in the NFL? What's his "I hope he can be that guy" player? I'm not great with scouting/knowing the game, I just love to watch. Laughing

R-E-L-A-X
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
If Neal plays up to his potential, who is a comparable player in the NFL? What's his "I hope he can be that guy" player? I'm not great with scouting/knowing the game, I just love to watch. Laughing

Off the top of my head, something like Amobi Okoye and Geno Atkins. Something like those two. Then again, I'm not great at these either.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
rbens06

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything I read and heard from McCarthy Neal was determined to "force" the Packers into activating him this week. Apparently he looked really good early in the week and any decision would come from the padded practice. From the "early" activation he must have looked good, or at the worst solid, in pads. Personally, I think Neal will/does have a chip on his shoulder, hopefully this translates into production. Also, the Colts have not had the strongest running game this year and theoretically they should be passing more, so Neal being activated could keep the pass rush fresh.
rbens06

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
justo wrote:
Quote:
Packers activated DE Mike Neal from exempt status and released DE Phillip Merling

I'll update the thread title to reflect the transaction.

Should have edited it earlier, thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: