Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the beastliest?
Melton
27%
 27%  [ 14 ]
Suh
72%
 72%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 51

Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

Looking to settle a debate from another thread.
This isn't about potential. Suh is clearly the more physically capable of the two. But I argue that since the start of 2011 Melton has been the better player and will remain as such until Suh becomes more consistent as a run defender.

But that's just my opinion. Who you got?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
This isn't about potential. Suh is clearly the more physically capable of the two. But I argue that since the start of 2011 Melton has been the better player and will remain as such until Suh becomes more consistent as a run defender.

In that same thread, you hype your boy Devin McCourty "on the strength of his rookie year and his success this year" and Suh had an even better rookie year than McCourty did and Suh looks really good this year from what I have seen. Saying Suh was bad last year but then completely ignoring how abysmal McCourty was seems like a pretty one sided view on it. McCourty was so bad that they had him change positions to safety if I remember correctly.

This is Suh without thinking about it twice. I would love to have him on the Giants D-line. Way moreso than Melton Laughing I would even go far as to say that the rest of the Detroit D-line isn't really that good which is holding Suh back. God knows what Suh would do if he was on the same d-line with the best 4-3 DE in football in Peppers.

Interior line play isn't all about stats. Suh gets the focus of every offensive lines attention week in and week out and he still constantly gets pressure up the middle. Melton's not bad but no way would I take him over Suh.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

In that same thread, you hype your boy Devin McCourty "on the strength of his rookie year and his success this year" and Suh had an even better rookie year than McCourty did and Suh looks really good this year from what I have seen. Saying Suh was bad last year but then completely ignoring how abysmal McCourty was seems like a pretty one sided view on it. McCourty was so bad that they had him change positions to safety if I remember correctly.
There's a lot less competition for McCourty in the field of CBs who play in 43 base defenses than there is for Suh among 43 interior linemen. It's apples v. oranges.

For Suh, the competition is
Melton
McCoy
Atkins
Mebane
Dareus
Langford
etc.

That's a much better group than what McCourty was up against in that context [basically limited to Haden, DRC and Sherman].

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

There's a lot less competition for McCourty in the field of CBs who play in 43 base defenses than there is for Suh among 43 interior linemen. It's apples v. oranges.

Melton
McCoy
Atkins
Mebane
Dareus
Langford
etc.

That's a much better group than what McCourty was up against in that context [basically limited to Haden, DRC and Sherman].

Wait so you are saying that Suh is competing with Kendall Langford?? For what? Langford isn't even remotely close to Suh. Just because he is around the same age doesn't mean he is competition. Langford has shown nothing ever to be mentioned with the top 10 DT's in the NFL. Langford has been in the league 2 years longer and has shown MUCH less than Suh.

And why is McCoy all of a sudden on Suh's level? Suh Outplayed McCoy each of their first two years and the only reason McCoy has more sacks as of now is that he got to play against the worst offensive line in the NFL vs the Cowboys.

Only Geno Atkins is someone that I would consider serious competition for Suh as best young DT (maybe Melton if he plays well until the end of this year) and even Geno has his own weakness with his sickle cell disease. Suh's only weakness is his overaggressiveness to get to the passer. He has no weaknesses physically.

Just because he isn't constantly being hyped by his fans in the game day threads like Melton doesn't mean Suh is somehow getting worse. He is much better than he was last year.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh. He is the better player and has the most potential.

Melton isnt even the best lineman on his team, and he benefits greatly from playing on the same line as Julius Peppers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Melton
McCoy
Atkins
Mebane
Dareus
Langford
etc.

Wait so you are saying that Suh is competing with Kendall Langford?? For what? Langford isn't even remotely close to Suh. Just because he is around the same age doesn't mean he is competition. Langford has shown nothing ever to be mentioned with the top 10 DT's in the NFL. Langford has been in the league 2 years longer and has shown MUCH less than Suh.

And why is McCoy all of a sudden on Suh's level? Suh Outplayed McCoy each of their first two years and the only reason McCoy has more sacks as of now is that he got to play against the worst offensive line in the NFL vs the Cowboys.

Only Geno Atkins is someone that I would consider serious competition for Suh as best young DT (maybe Melton if he plays well until the end of this year) and even Geno has his own weakness with his sickle cell disease. Suh's only weakness is his overaggressiveness to get to the passer. He has no weaknesses physically.

Just because he isn't constantly being hyped by his fans in the game day threads like Melton doesn't mean Suh is somehow getting worse. He is much better than he was last year.

Have you even watched McCoy play? He pretty clearly outplayed Suh last year and has been phenomenal this year. He just didn't accrue 10 sacks his rookie year so he doesn't get the hype and media coverage that Suh does.

Also Geno>>>Suh. I don't even see how one can argue that Suh is better right now. Geno has vastly outplayed him the past 2 years.

And lol at pointing out that Melton gets a bunch of "hype" but completely failing to mention that Suh is arguably the most hyped DT in the league.

And Melton plays next to Peppers and Idonije, yes. But you're acting if Suh plays next to a bunch of scrubs. Last I checked Nick Farley, Cliff Avril, and Kyle Vanden Bosch were all on the Lions' d-line too. You think Suh hasn't benefited from playing by them (especially Avril and KVB)?

Playing DT isn't all about getting sacks Laughing ....

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to see as much of Suh as I have the past two seasons. Is a trap play on him still an easy 10 yard run?
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

Have you even watched McCoy play? He pretty clearly outplayed Suh last year and has been phenomenal this year. He just didn't accrue 10 sacks his rookie year so he doesn't get the hype and media coverage that Suh does.

So Gerald McCoy clearly outplayed Suh last year even though he was on IR for 10 games?

I see. Keep telling me more about how you watch them play Laughing Stop making stuff up, its a recurring theme from the majority of your posts.

Suh has been pretty good this year as well. I am still waiting to see how the loss of Adrian Clayborn affects McCoy since Clayborn was a pretty solid DE.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Melton
McCoy
Atkins
Mebane
Dareus
Langford
etc.

Also Geno>>>Suh. I don't even see how one can argue that Suh is better right now. Geno has vastly outplayed him the past 2 years.

And lol at pointing out that Melton gets a bunch of "hype" but completely failing to mention that Suh is arguably the most hyped DT in the league.

And Melton plays next to Peppers and Idonije, yes. But you're acting if Suh plays next to a bunch of scrubs. Last I checked Nick Farley, Cliff Avril, and Kyle Vanden Bosch were all on the Lions' d-line too. You think Suh hasn't benefited from playing by them (especially Avril and KVB)?

Playing DT isn't all about getting sacks Laughing ....

The depth and overall talent on the lions D line is vastly overrated. I'd say the other guys benefit from Suh much more than he benefits from them.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Suh is clearly the more physically capable of the two.

Not so sure about that…sure Suh is stronger but when it comes to agility, closing speed & general movement skills he doesn’t come close to Melton who might be the most athletic DT in football…let’s remember this is a guy who started at tailback for Texas so physically it’s at best a push…

Suh had one of the most dominating rookie years I can remember but he was pretty average last season…maybe he gets back to where he was maybe he doesn’t this season…as for the argument against Suh being held back by the talent around him I feel that is way off the mark…Cliff Avril is an explosive pass rusher…the Lions are extremely deep at DT with Fairley, Williams & Hill…KVB is an experienced solid player and if I remember correctly Willie Young had one of the higher pressures per snaps percentage in the NFL last season…the talent behind the front four on the Lions D isn’t great but up front there aren’t many deeper teams…

As for greater potential let’s keep in mind that this is only Melton’s 2nd season ever playing DT…as I said before he was a RB then a DE in college…spent his rookie year on IR then played 2010 as a backup DE…he came into last season without a training camp under his belt and asked to play 30lbs heavier than he had ever played and finished with 7 sacks and 2nd amongst all DT’s in QB pressures…QB Hits & TFL…this year he got to work in TC with Marinelli and has become a much better run defender and is still generating great pressure with 4 sacks in 4 games so he is just scratching the surface of what he can do with more experience at the position…most won’t agree because Suh is far better known but there is no way I would swap him for Melton...

Here is a quote from Peppers about Melton…

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-02/sports/chi-biggs-10-thoughts-after-bears-win-over-cowboys-20121002_1_quarterback-jay-cutler-offensive-coordinator-mike-tice-chicago-bears/2

Quote:
Defensive end Julius Peppers called Melton the “engine” of the defense, something players used to call Tommie Harris when he played the under tackle position at a Pro Bowl level.

“It’s impressive,” Peppers said. “He is continuing to get better, he’s growing, maturing a little bit as a player so that’s a good thing. He’s going to be the engine to the D. We’re going to need him to continue to play like this.”

baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

So Gerald McCoy clearly outplayed Suh last year even though he was on IR for 10 games?

I see. Keep telling me more about how you watch them play Laughing Stop making stuff up, its a recurring theme from the majority of your posts.

Suh has been pretty good this year as well. I am still waiting to see how the loss of Adrian Clayborn affects McCoy since Clayborn was a pretty solid DE.

Yeah I totally didn't know that... Rolling Eyes

That just tells you how well McCoy played when he was in last year. And this year has been no different.

Losing Clayborn might hurt a little,,but no more than it would with any other DT losing a premiere DE next to him.

BTW I'd love to see where I've made stuff up Laughing Sig bet that you can't find even 3 examples of that?

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

Yeah I totally didn't know that... Rolling Eyes

That just tells you how well McCoy played when he was in last year. And this year has been no different.

Losing Clayborn might hurt a little,,but no more than it would with any other DT losing a premiere DE next to him.

BTW I'd love to see where I've made stuff up Laughing Sig bet that you can't find even 3 examples of that?

Gerald McCoy prior to this year was considered an injury prone player since he had season ending injuries in both his rookie and sophomore campaign. He was NOWHERE as good as you claim he was in the 6 measly games he played last year. He played well at times last year but was never a dominant force along the defensive line as you claim he was. Heck in the offseason there were some threads which asked whether or not he was a bust and how much longer he had to prove himself. Why don't you pull up metrics or something quantifiable to prove your claim that he played so well last year?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/63158/gerald-mccoy-may-still-live-up-to-billing

Here is an ESPN detailing McCoy's struggles in his first two years in the league and how he still had to prove himself.

You don't need to cling to your ship as it is sinking. You were wrong. Time to move on.

Also in your "Will AJ Green pass Calvin Johnson?" thread, you claim that Calvin Johnson "not so quietly burst onto the scene in 2011" when in reality, Calvin Johnson burst onto the scene in 2008 when he had 78 catches, for 1331 yards, and 12 TDs. So you are wrong about it taking a few years for Calvin Johnson to break out. He broke out in 2008, his second in the league.

Getting back to the thread topic, Suh looks pretty darn good this year. I would take him in a millisecond over McCoy or any other DT in the league besides Geno Atkins. Suh's ability to play 90% of defensive snaps and be an every down d-lineman would probably put him over Atkins for me. Geno Atkins played less downs last year than Aldon Smith who many people considered to be a specialist pass rusher rather than an every down player.

JPP and JJ Watt are the only two young defensive lineman that I, personally, would take above Suh at this point.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Suh. I know my opinion is biased being that I am a Lions fan, but I'll try to make my case clean. Henry Melton is a very quick and agile DT. Julius Peppers is a dominant DE. Offensive lineman are probably (and should be) a little more concerned about containing Peppers. Now, this doesnt usually factor too much when they do a straight rush, but when they stunt or slant, it matters a lot. I swear I remember Melton got a sack where Peppers slanted in, and Melton looped out and around. The OT followed Peppers and the OG washed Peppers down into the center (which was exactly what Peppers needed to do). This left Melton basically unblocked (the OT realized his mistake too late and kind of mgot a hand on him but it was too late). The QB moved right into Melton becasue 1- Peppers collapsed the pocket, and 2- the QB couldnt see Melton. That is basically a free sack for Melton. Now, I am no expert on his ability to contain the run so I am going to assume he is very good against the run, to make the a clean argument. Now, Suh is a very talented DT. He can play all over the line, and even rush standing up, but he is is the same place nearly every play. It is frustrating as a fan. Teams can design plays around a DT becasue he is always in the same spot. This is where the wham blocks come in. These plays are our defenses kryptonite. It takes what we pride ourselves on (penetration) and uses it against us. The DT's get great penetration and are blocked just enough to where they cannot make a play. These wham play work amazing on all of our DT's except for Suh. Suh will sometimes make a play, sometimes get blocked well, and sometimes force a cutback. He isnt great agaisnt the play, but isnt isnt bad either.

Now, the first few games, he got a sack or two while the DE's were very quiet. The DE's got a chip here and there while Suh had a double kind of often. The last game, Avril had a big impact, and un-coincedently Suh was doubled nearly every time. The rest of the line benefits when Suh gets doubled nearly everytime. The other team has to take the chance of getting hurt by Avril becasue they cannot afford to let Suh get in (and he will 1-on-1). Also, I think Suh got a sack last week. So far this year Suh has been great agaisnt the run. He has been out schemed, but he doesnt make the scheme. The scheme basically no longer aids in his statistics (like it did his rookie year), instead it aids the DE stats.

So, my opinion is that Suh is a great pass rusher and a great run defender stuck in a lousy scheme and that Melton is a (assumed because I dont know) very good run defender and a good pass rusher aided by the use of Peppers to his (and his teams) advantage. I think if they switched situations, there wouldnt be an arguement, but there is and I feel it comes down to how their respective coach uses them.

R.I.P. Stylish
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Getting back to the thread topic, Suh looks pretty darn good this year. I would take him in a millisecond over McCoy or any other DT in the league besides Geno Atkins. Suh's ability to play 90% of defensive snaps and be an every down d-lineman would probably put him over Atkins for me. Geno Atkins played less downs last year than Aldon Smith who many people considered to be a specialist pass rusher rather than an every down player..

100% false. Geno Atkins played 752 snaps last season while Aldon Smith played 506: http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2012-06-16/the-nfl-beat-awards-shower/print/

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time you tried to use Geno Atkins sickle cell/lack of snaps as a reason to degrade his impact on the field. Look at the total # of snaps that Geno and Suh actually did play last season and it's negligible over a 16 game season. Geno played 71% of the snaps last season which is more than any other Bengals D-Linemen. I highly doubt Suh played 90% of the snaps.

Put some links to actual numbers or start coming up with some legit reasons instead of making stuff up...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Henry Melton v. Ndamukong Suh Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Getting back to the thread topic, Suh looks pretty darn good this year. I would take him in a millisecond over McCoy or any other DT in the league besides Geno Atkins. Suh's ability to play 90% of defensive snaps and be an every down d-lineman would probably put him over Atkins for me. Geno Atkins played less downs last year than Aldon Smith who many people considered to be a specialist pass rusher rather than an every down player..

100% false. Geno Atkins played 752 snaps last season while Aldon Smith played 506: http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2012-06-16/the-nfl-beat-awards-shower/print/

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time, you try to use Geno Atkins sickle cell/lack of snaps as a reason to degrade his impact on the field. Look at the total # of snaps that Geno and Suh actually did play last season and it's negligible over a 16 game season. Geno played 71% of the snaps last season which is more than any other Bengals D-Linemen. I highly doubt Suh played 90% of the snaps.

Put some links to actual numbers or start coming up with some legit reasons instead of making stuff up...

Oops you are right. I got that info from this thread:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=493494

in which YOU specifically state:

TheVillain112 wrote:

Also even though Geno is my favorite player in the NFL, I don't think he's under-rated as well. His sickle cell will keep him from playing more than 500 snaps a season. Aldon Smith who everyone thinks was just a situational pass rusher last season, played more snaps than Geno. He's probably the most efficient D-Linemen in the NFL, but if he can't play more than 500 snaps then I don't think he's under-rated either. There is a reason why the Bengals drafted Still and Thompson...

I should know better than just to take the word of anyone. I'll be sure to take your opinions of Bengals with a grain of salt from now on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: