Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Woohoo! It's Friday "dream" mock and team needs po

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which positions are the top 3 needs on this team?
MLB, DL, OL
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
OL, Safety, DL
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MLB, OL, Safety
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
OL, MLB, HB
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

medisback

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Woohoo! It's Friday "dream" mock and team needs po Reply with quote

Dream draft based upon CBSsports and drafttek ratings

I have us picking in the middle of the pack this year given our brutal schedule (say mid teens)

1. Manti Te'o ILB ND: excellent tackler, good in coverage and a true field general.
2. Jake Matthews ROT TAMU: Hall of fame blood lines, allows us to move Franklin inside.
3. Bennie Logan DT LSU: played well against quality competition in SEC. Very strong and uses leverage well further improving our run D.
4. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU: I have Honey Badger going anywhere from 2nd to 4th. Again this is ideal scenario. Makes the D that much more deadly and will be a huge upgrade on KR/PR
5. Craig Roh DE Michigan: has played multiple positions, is relentless, strong and apparently a film junky. Never can have enough depth
6. Matt Elam SS Florida: depth here. Plays well in the box, sure tackler and can cover fairly well too. Probably will go higher
7. Devin Street WR Pitt: good combination of size speed. Drops due to lack of consistency. This may have been, in part from gimmick spread offense. If he works hard, could be a steal.

I'd appreciate thoughts. My focus is to really improve coverage, the D line and the O-line. I suspect that we may go even MORE O-line heavy than this given lack of depth. Te'o is my favorite player in the draft at this point. I think Jake really can do a nice job on the edge too. We'll see come April.

I am still trying to formulate biggest team needs so I'm adding the poll. If you choose other, please tell me which 3 and why
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Woohoo! It's Friday "dream" mock and team need Reply with quote

medisback wrote:

2. Jake Matthews ROT TAMU: Hall of fame blood lines, allows us to move Franklin inside.

My guess is that Mathews will be taken before the Broncos 2nd round pick. Maybe Alex Hurst (LSU) will be there if you are looking for a R-OT.
AussieBronco66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh the O-Line is the biggest weakness for us. We can move DJ into MLB and have Woodyard stay outside and get by, but the O-Line is in desperate need of an upgrade. The D-Line could use a big run stuffer to pair up with Wolfe

mess with him at your peril
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieBronco66 wrote:
tbh the O-Line is the biggest weakness for us. We can move DJ into MLB and have Woodyard stay outside and get by, but the O-Line is in desperate need of an upgrade. The D-Line could use a big run stuffer to pair up with Wolfe

I don't think you pass on Teo if he available for the Broncos. That is my opinion and I could be wrong.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
AussieBronco66 wrote:

I don't think you pass on Teo if he available for the Broncos. That is my opinion and I could be wrong.

It depends who is on the board. I'm a huge T'eo guy. However, if there happens to be an OL that you have rated similar than you take the OL, especially if it is a OT. It has a bigger impact. I think that Denver will get either look at OT, DL, CB then look at lb. I would like to see Big John Jenkins considered. Although I'm not too sure that Elway really values the DT position, given his history thusfar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Teo and Mathews are much better players than where you have them going. Teo is a top-10 player and Mathews is a low-1 to high-2 right now. Given how many "elite" teams are in need of OL help (Giants, Packers, Ravens) I dont see him passing by ALL of them.

Also, Mathieu looks like hes going back to school next year. If he doesnt I still believe hes a 2nd-3rd rounder. Cant see him slipping that far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I think Teo and Mathews are much better players than where you have them going. Teo is a top-10 player and Mathews is a low-1 to high-2 right now. Given how many "elite" teams are in need of OL help (Giants, Packers, Ravens) I dont see him passing by ALL of them.

Also, Mathieu looks like hes going back to school next year. If he doesnt I still believe hes a 2nd-3rd rounder. Cant see him slipping that far.

Didn't you read the headline? "Dream Draft." ?
Mile High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with the sentiment that there is no way Teo will be available by our pick i will raise a question:

Would you guys be willing to trade up for him?

I definitely would. The guy is an animal. He is huge moves well and makes plays. I also see us as gearing for a superbowl in 2-3 years and I think Te'o immediately starts and upgrades the LB core. And after Manning having Te'o and Osweiler as the respective leaders on our team will be great for us.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High wrote:
While I agree with the sentiment that there is no way Teo will be available by our pick i will raise a question:

I definitely would. The guy is an animal. He is huge moves well and makes plays. I also see us as gearing for a superbowl in 2-3 years and I think Te'o immediately starts and upgrades the LB core. And after Manning having Te'o and Osweiler as the respective leaders on our team will be great for us.

Absolutely YES! I would trade up for him in a heartbeat. You hit it right on the head, as long as Manning is here this team is competing for the Super Bowl.

However, what is that cost? Two 1st's? Look at what the Redskins gave up to move up 4 spots. Granted it was for an elite QB but still whats the price? If we dont trade more than 3 picks (panning of 2 years) Im all game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

If he declares he could easily be a 4th or 5th. He's an undersized CB. Add in the fact he's had drug problems and went to rehab could hurt a lot. AH and Mallett fell a lot because of drugs(not sure if his is weed or something like coke(rumors were coke for AH)). We've argued about why Mallett fell(you can point to some play(i'd still argue because Gabberts play is way worse) but a lot still is drugs). Hernandez you could say his inability to block but let's be realistic he was a better prospect predraft than a 4th(I had a 2nd rounder).
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Absolutely YES! I would trade up for him in a heartbeat. You hit it right on the head, as long as Manning is here this team is competing for the Super Bowl.

However, what is that cost? Two 1st's? Look at what the Redskins gave up to move up 4 spots. Granted it was for an elite QB but still whats the price? If we dont trade more than 3 picks (panning of 2 years) Im all game.

It wont be that much. It was a top 5 pick to get a very good QB prospect. Besides I doubt a MLB is a top pick. He'll probably be a 15-25 area for pick.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
If he declares he could easily be a 4th or 5th. He's an undersized CB. Add in the fact he's had drug problems and went to rehab could hurt a lot. AH and Mallett fell a lot because of drugs(not sure if his is weed or something like coke(rumors were coke for AH)). We've argued about why Mallett fell(you can point to some play(i'd still argue because Gabberts play is way worse) but a lot still is drugs). Hernandez you could say his inability to block but let's be realistic he was a better prospect predraft than a 4th(I had a 2nd rounder).

First of all, Tyrann Mathieu is an incredible football player. Remember, he was up for the Heisman last year. Hes that good. Ryan Mallett is a terrible comparison, only similarities are that they shared off-the-field problems.

I still think hes a 2nd-3rd rounder but will not leave for the draft this year. You will not change my opinion on that.

Donut wrote:
It wont be that much. It was a top 5 pick to get a very good QB prospect. Besides I doubt a MLB is a top pick. He'll probably be a 15-25 area for pick

What?

Luke Kuechly drafted 9th last year.
Rolando McClain drafted 8th in 2010.
Aaron Curry drafted 4th in 2009.
Brian Cushing drafted 15th in 2009.
Keith Rivers drafted 9th in 2008.
Jerod Mayo drafted 10th in 2008.
Patrick Willis drafted 11th in 2007.
AJ Hawk drafted 5th in 2006.
Ernie Sims drafted 9th in 2006.

Thats only in the last 7 drafts, I can go on forever if you want me too. Care to tell me again why you doubt MLBer's are a top pick? History proves you to be wrong. Plus now with the rookie wage scale, theres no reason to think that the best player will not be taken if they are available. Manti Teo is a top-5 pick in this draft that will not drop out of top-10. Take it to the bank. [/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry wasn't a MLB, neither was Cushing.

What he was saying is you don't draft a MLB in the top 5 which is very, very rare. Te'o is good but not top 5 good. Jarvis Jones on the other hand is top 5 good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Donut wrote:

First of all, Tyrann Mathieu is an incredible football player. Remember, he was up for the Heisman last year. Hes that good. Ryan Mallett is a terrible comparison, only similarities are that they shared off-the-field problems.

I still think hes a 2nd-3rd rounder but will not leave for the draft this year. You will not change my opinion on that.
[/quote]
That was my exact point of comparison. He had to go to rehab for drugs. mallett and Hernandez had cocaine rumors. Both were very good players along w/ some worries about there play. I think for off field and fall its completely valid comparison.
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Donut wrote:
It wont be that much. It was a top 5 pick to get a very good QB prospect. Besides I doubt a MLB is a top pick. He'll probably be a 15-25 area for pick

What?

Luke Kuechly drafted 9th last year.
Rolando McClain drafted 8th in 2010.
Aaron Curry drafted 4th in 2009.
Brian Cushing drafted 15th in 2009.
Keith Rivers drafted 9th in 2008.
Jerod Mayo drafted 10th in 2008.
Patrick Willis drafted 11th in 2007.
AJ Hawk drafted 5th in 2006.
Ernie Sims drafted 9th in 2006.

Thats only in the last 7 drafts, I can go on forever if you want me too. Care to tell me again why you doubt MLBer's are a top pick? History proves you to be wrong. Plus now with the rookie wage scale, theres no reason to think that the best player will not be taken if they are available. Manti Teo is a top-5 pick in this draft that will not drop out of top-10. Take it to the bank.
[/quote]
Besides Willis, McClain and Kuechly all of them were/are OLB in 4-3. Willis in 4-3 could play both and be amazing. mcClain could play OLB also.
As for MLB
2006: 33rd(Ryans)
2007: 11th(Willis)
2008: 37th(Lofton)
2009:33rd(Laurinaitus)
2010:8th(McClain)
2011:67th(?) (Irving)
2012: 9th (Kuechly)
ILB in 3-4 isn't the same as MLB in 4-3. I'd say history is pointing something different. For a top 5 pick they have to be able to make more of an impact than most MLB. Kuechly was only in top 10 in a weaker draft and he was an overall safe solid prospect.
As for this draft I think there will be better players available at more impactful positions.
broncosfan07 wrote:
Curry wasn't a MLB, neither was Cushing.

What he was saying is you don't draft a MLB in the top 5 which is very, very rare. Te'o is good but not top 5 good. Jarvis Jones on the other hand is top 5 good.

Jones is a fantastic player and would play at DE or OLB in 4-3 before wasting his talent at MLB. I could see him(Te'o) possibly sneak in at top 10 but he has no shot at the top 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: